fishing sole/flounder from a boat

any little piece of meat really....if yer on them. mini halis!!!!!

facepalm.jpeg

A friend of mine uses the small buzzbombs or zingers with a small piece of fish parts on the treble. I've used all kinds of things even nothing but a small treble with some fish parts stuck on it. Seems flounders around here ain't picky at all.

didnt mean to come off as such a sarcastic dick :) I really am curious. How do you clean those flat little things?

Wiff da teef. LOL, seriously, everyone I've seen just guts them and cooks them up. There ain't enough to filet so they just clean them up with the teeth.

Odd as it is, I love fishing but am not much of a fish eater for that very reason: too many bones. Now, sharks, on the other hand, are very tasty !! Only a spine to deal with so I'd eat them everyday if I could.

I take the kids fishing for them sometimes. I use small Deadly Dicks with or without bait attached and just jig them and it seems to work fine. If your in an area that you've caught them before they aren't picky at all. If you are drifting fast you might want to anchor up.....where there is one there seems to be lots.....lol

didnt mean to come off as such a sarcastic dick :) I really am curious. How do you clean those flat little things?

Saw a guy in renfrew once do about 20 of them in 10 mins with a pair of scissors. just cut out the belly and behind the gill plate. and rinse. Cooke whole and flake off with fork!

-KK

Whirl Bay is a good spot for Sole, Stingzilda's or Buzzbomb type lures work well. I once thought that if Sole live in the area then Halibut wiould live there too but then someone told me the opposite...."Halibut eat Sole so if there are sole living there then there would be no Halibut there. I don't know whats true, Maybe they would be good for Hali bait???

A couple buddies and I have done some pretty fun free diving for flounder/sole around Sidney and James Island and we got some big ones off island view beach on the outside sand bar. We had intended on just snorkeling and diving for crab(which tends to be more productive than traps...FYI) but got some nice flatties as 'by catch'. You have to be pretty sneeky and dive down from behind, grab each side with your hands and swim to the surface. Pretty fun and great exercise since they spook pretty easily and every dive down certainly does not result in a catch. These were big enough for filleting. Most were Starry Flounders, which I read can reach close to 1m long and 20 pounds. These ones were only a few pounds but still some great eating.

A couple buddies and I have done some pretty fun free diving for flounder/sole around Sidney and James Island and we got some big ones off island view beach on the outside sand bar. We had intended on just snorkeling and diving for crab(which tends to be more productive than traps...FYI) but got some nice flatties as 'by catch'. You have to be pretty sneeky and dive down from behind, grab each side with your hands and swim to the surface. Pretty fun and great exercise since they spook pretty easily and every dive down certainly does not result in a catch. These were big enough for filleting. Most were Starry Flounders, which I read can reach close to 1m long and 20 pounds. These ones were only a few pounds but still some great eating.

cool , sounds like fun and good meals!!

Whirl Bay is a good spot for Sole,

Just saw a notice in the paper they are doing some under water explosive testing in there in the next week or two.

Ive seen little guys shooting around the shallows. Then someone mentioned them to me yesterday then this thread came up, funny.

Sole is actually delish. Would be a good one to jig for if you only had a kayak or small boat and couldnt go out far. Fun in the summer off esq lagoon.

Its the starry flounder that can get a very strong iodine smell and taste. I have never found this with other flatfish.

Sabiki Herring jig tipped with raw bacon bits/cut up clams works great. spark plug weight and piece of string with a hook and any kind of bait will work too. Small spinng rod and bobs yer uncle. Cut the stomach and head off and ice it immediately after you take it from the water or the meat goes mushy. Wash it off, a few slices of lemon and pop it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on a plate covered with saran wrap and instant baby hali dinner.

Back