fishing slang definitions

Hey FA ,I consider you a neighbor and could hear your touge ,not like anything you posted before. I was on the somas and the native girl who had lots of fish called me chummis. what is chummis?

Chowdered: accidentally released ya?

... Blew It- Fish is now gone at this point, you realize you might not of wanted to of told your buddy he was Blowing It...

Both otherwise known as "Conservation Through Incompetence"! ;)

Incompetence_2.jpg

... Smiley-usually a Spring over 12 lbs -the commercial guys will correct me on this.

12 pounds plus were (and often still are) refereed to as Smilies. 12 pounds was the lower limit of the Large grade, which meant more bucks per pound = Smiles! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

GORB!!!
basically anyone on the water that drives you nuts!!!
Cuts off your fish, drives into you, drives onto a reef. Can't do
Anything on the water!!! You know who you are!!
Gorbs!!

Ha ha just looked through the entire 5 pages to see if anyone posted Gorbies...figures the last one mentioned it! So my second choice....a wall hanger....something big enough to be a once in a lifetime fish that you would mount for the wall. That one courtesy of John Anderson of Peublo Col.

Corked or low holed for the river anglers. Someone who comes in at the last minute below you while you are systematically grid fishing most commonly for Steelhead but it happens in other situations too.

GORB!!!
basically anyone on the water that drives you nuts!!!
Cuts off your fish, drives into you, drives onto a reef. Can't do
Anything on the water!!! You know who you are!!
Gorbs!!
Ha, when I worked in Banff at Sunshine Village like 30 years ago, we used to call all the Japanese tourists Gorbies as that is what the brand of boots they wore were called.
Most of them couldn't ski worth a $hit....too funny to hear that again.

Lotta wire in the water - Mooching in a pack of downrigger fishermen
Jack King - any Chinook under 30
Cannon - 40+
Unicorn - 50+ tyee
Tryee - Any fish over 29 pushing 30 in oz but dont quite make the magical mark
Rubbin - Fishing tight to the kelp as possible
Pumpkins - Yelloweye
Gator - Ling over 30
Getting Short Tacked - Some knob cutting you and everyone else off to hit the sweetspot while fishing right hand rod to the rocks rotation
Muffin Tacking - Short tacking the same sweet spot repeatedly while everyone else is fishing courteously to each other in rotation

Just a few that get tossed around quite regularly up north

Beek - Any newbie on the river who attempting to learn how to cast
Silver Bullet - Winter run Steelhead
Stink - Bait
Dinner plate - Disk shaped cannon ball
Scooped - beaten to a particular spot
Barn door - Any halibut over 75 lb.
Doggies - can refer to dogfish (mudshark) or chum salmon
stacking - More than one rod and lure per downrigger line
Red Snapper - Yellow eye
Bugs - Prawns or ghost shrimp

few of mine but there a mis/mash of UK ones

noddie = new boater or newbie angler liable to make simple mistakes

just add water// golden wonder// pot noodle = 5 minute angler/boater who's just gone out and bought everything new

rodney for being a plonker " only fools and horses"

surfing trolling over 3mph....lol

the stern WTF look with hands out to the side when that pleasure boater comes full bore past you
and waves and then wonders why your not smiling and waving back ......

Here's a few:

Radio Fish: Some guy who calls you over saying its hot...and while it was to him, it ain't to you
Greeblie's: The guys who follow the radio fish
Ripper: When the bite is really on full force
Roger that: uniform lingo for yuuuuup!
Sportie: When its a tad rough out, but just fishable
Shacked em: a greeblie who breaks one off

Muppet on my tail = jerk who's following your every tack and on top of your gear

"Duke it out"
When that Chinook hog you've got on the line has your heart pounding and it has taken a bunch of runs and sits about three feet below the water with no intention of being netted and your frickin forearms are burning and sweat is trickling down your crack and buddy yells out "duke it out !! " and its on again

My buddy from Lasqueti has a few beauties;

"**** whack of Yackers" - group of kayakers
"A Real **** Cutter" - disappointing
"**** Hawks" - Seagulls
"Bugs" - Prawns

Smiley-usually a Spring over 12 lbs -the commercial guys will correct me on this.[/QUOTE]

Years ago it needed to be a red spring to fetch more money for the commercial trollers.When you caught a big red spring it was cha- ching, cha -ching putting a smile on your face, hence the name smiley.No smiling if you caught a white chinook.
I got that from reading the book Fishing With John. A great read by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one courtesy of John Anderson of Pueblo Col.....skillet greaser....him cutting down your smaller fish to the one he had onboard... lol

Back