fishing slang definitions

I'm bored and stuck in AB in minus 20C with dead batteries. Sigh....

Suitcase: Watch a fishing show on WFN fishing out of Mexico

dolphin-gaffed-02.jpg

Do you have any snow we can have on SVI? :)

Sealed... ur fish has just been take by your friendly whiskered friend...;)

Attachments

• 20141229_224659.jpg
    20141229_224659.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 413
Last edited by a moderator:
Backtroll-slowing the rate of downwind drift by reversing into the drift.
Birdsnest-letting the reel freespool too fast causing a major mess
Screamer-hard take usually straight away and usually but not always a hog.
Smiley-usually a Spring over 12 lbs -the commercial guys will correct me on this.

Pin Popper: when the a nice size fish hits and instantly releases it self off the down rigger clip.

Kicker.........small auxillary outboard used for trolling or getting back home slowly when the main engine is down.......BRS

Cracker: a newbie on the river or the salt chuck who's got a steep learning curve ahead of him. Also known as a Scissorbill

If you want to see what a Cracker looks like, they look like this:

Please note how the Cracker has stuck his gaff right into the middle of a fillet from one of the best eating fish that swims. His self-satisfied smirk shows that he doesn't have a clue how to properly gaff a fish, thus we refer to him as a "Cracker"

SLAB-huge chinook
ROOT CANAL -hooked solid top of the mouth
WOOD SHAMPOO-knockin out a fish with the wee baseball bat
BLOWN ASHORE-hot chick on the end of your rod

Tight lines
Billydoo

Blowing It- When the guy with the fish on may or may not be doing a good job= added pressure

Blew It- Fish is now gone at this point, you realize you might not of wanted to of told your buddy he was Blowing It

Soon he may tell you to Blow It.........

Thats when the two minute cone of silence is a good idea to let them process what just happened

Smiley-usually a Spring over 12 lbs -the commercial guys will correct me on this. The commercial guys that I worked with did not consider a chinook a smiley until it hit the high 20s.... but I am sure others used a different scale..

Smiley-usually a Spring over 12 lbs -the commercial guys will correct me on this. The commercial guys that I worked with did not consider a chinook a smiley until it hit the high 20s.... but I am sure others used a different scale..
I always wondered about that when I heard it-I was told it was the premier size for purchase by a small consumer-back in the day!! Still a good bit of history!!

hippa - Chinook over 40 pounds
tryee - 29 lb chinook
u-drive - unguided guest at a lodge
creamery - getting on good fishing in a spot no one else is at
buckin tide - trolling into the current not covering any ground
mindreader - 7/0 or larger hook that tends to brain hook fish (not recommended for c + r)
ping pong paddle - very small halibut
blades + skirts - flasher/hoochie
let it run - for the 19th time take your hand off the goddamn reel knobs

flasher in the window. describes what happens when the new fishers clamp on the reel and pull and then stuff smashes against the cabin (or the netter's head.)

Commies also refer to a big spring as a "suitcase", as in, ...."Dude, I just ran into a jag of suitcases on that tack..."

Also known as "groceries"

Brainf--ker: 8/0-9/0 thru the brain..... Fish dead already when netted
Tonsile F--ked: Hooks swallowed, kill fish get hooks back later

Back