Fishing reports-French creek to Nanaimo.

Launched out of French Creek at about 1:30 and bumped out through the last of the crappy wind. Decided to troll out front as there have been murmers of fish coming from there and across at Jenkins but with the wind swirling about close was best.

Put first rod down and started to rig up the second - all of the sudden John and Darryl are yelling "Jeff! Jeff!" and pointing at the pounding rod I had just sent down!

Grabbed on and sure enough, about 16-18lbs of silver started pulling the other way. Great fun with two complete rookies and myself first day on my own rig!

After some mayhem and a somewhat less than gracefull half net, half tail grab flop over the side the fish was in.

Celebrations were short, sent the rod back down quickly and turned to set the other up. BANG! Another fish. Father in Law had no problem subduing the 10lbr but the netting was less than graceful again. (NEED BIGGER NET)

A third came to the side of the boat shortly after and was lost in the messy net show, that was Johns fish.

Rod back down and yet another. Unreal. This time John has about 15mins of fight before reeling the 20lbr up. Managed to get that one in as well.

Tons of bait out there, marking false bottom at times. Fish were puking up immature herring all over the place 1-1.5"

The smaller fish was a white spring and the other two appeared to be marbled.

Man i sounds way better than last year. Im gonna fish gerald tommorow and saturday as well ill report if i get anything. 60-100 seems alot shallower as well compared to the 140-150 most were caught last year. Hope i have some luck!
ps Clay were you fishing the northwest end of Gerald? Is your boat moored around here?

Kelly my boat is on a trailer in nanoose an older 17 sangster ht with a 70 yami, its old but very sea worthy and in great shape we fish on the east side of gerold and right in close off the ridge all the way along north to south and back again, watch the currants. my wife and i saw some other guy out there and he seemed to be hitten em left and right we saw him loose at least 4 to seals. got close enough to get him on the radio he was useing a straight silver yote spoon at 60 ft. he never said what size, keep your riggers just below the herring balls, been out 9 times before we connected finally, seems the fish are late this year, we will be back out sometime on the weekend. we launch at beachcomber, what does your boat look like. may see you out there?

Yup my boat will be at beachcomber for the rest of the season. I will be out saturday evening and hopefully all sunday. Im in a 14.5ft K&C with a 30hp yamie porb 2 of us in the boat. Hopefully cya out there

got out at 3:00 this afternoon just befor the tide change fished around gerold again, dragged an assortment of lures around at depths between 50 and 160 with not as much as a sniff, lots of bait on the sounder and only saw a couple of seals, wasent our night I guess. Kelly have you been out?

ill be at gerald in the AM for the early bite. where did you launch out of? beachcomber? if so i probaly saw you i was down there most of the day didnt fish just set traps and was playing around. Weathers looking good hopefully get some action.

Kelly we always launch at beachcomber, have a season pass, I drive an aqua colored dacota 4x4 and the boat is red and white may see you out there, if not-- best of luck. have you a vhf/cb on board cb chanel 11 vhf 16

The lady and I managed to get out for an hour or so after the hockey game last night.

Got 1 undersize for our efforts, sure was a beautiful night.

I have to motor down to Gerald and check it out though, I haven't fished that tack before.

Got out late accidently slept in. Was fishing by about 8 at gerald and had two soild hits at 140ft on a green/white coyote but they didnt stick. After around 9 picked up a little 8lber at 180ft on a cop car. One other boat got sealed and he showed me what was left of the head to prove it. Got snotty around 10 so we headed in and it was a bumpy ride. Nice day out there. Clay how deep were you fishin? reports from last couple weeks were that they were shallow 60-100feet but the lastest i have heard was they are deeper around 180. Should be out again late this week.
salmonprawnsquid.jpg

Kelly is was good to see you, we fished at 93 ft down to 123most of the morning till we saw that other guys remains, he said 150 ft, so down we went to 150 and 160 with no luck because as you said weather got snotty and it got even worse your lucky you got off the water when you did !!, we had capped waves coming over the front at 10ft apart. Ive never seen waves so big 5 to 6 ft so fast and we were almost swamped ourselves, the wife was terrified first time i put the life jacket on ever. I heard later they call that a qualicum, and the water layed down in 1/2 hr. going to hit frech creek at around 4:30 today for the tide change, have you a radio cb/vhf on board

Yea when we got to mistaken we had to stop look at the weather and we decided to try it as there was some decent chop. Got fishing and it calmed down then around 9:30 it picked up real fast and we got out. I have a vhf onboard but its not working next week we will have a heandheld. Hopefully ill get to fish every day this summer. Probaly fish gerald/ballenas. Give a report on french creek i saw some boats heading out there today. Im sure ill cya around again.

i got goose egged today but didnt fish long. Clay how did you make out? good weather i was just low on gas so could only fish an hour or so[xx(]

got out as well tonite, caught didly as well, fished all over gerold and mistaken down at 120, 150, 160, 83, 93 and 110 had er covered, dragged almost everything in the box around, hardly any bait around tonite either.Kelly keep me informed il be off the water for a little while, steering broke right at the dock coming in :(

Ouch that sucks about the steering. Do you know how it happened? I also didnt notice any bait around. Ill keep you updated a 12 and 15 were caught today and yesterday by a guy at the marina.

Back