Fishing log - Do you keep one? What do you record?

I made a database app for my Iphone. It works great IF I remember to put the data in. I never do as when the bite is on I'm to busy to enter data, and when the bite is off, I'm trying to figure out why its off. ;}

I used to have a log book. it was given to me as a gift. At first I was extremely diligent and honest. Then looking back in the off-seasons, I realized I wasn't having much success. So I turned into a horrific liar. Flounders became small Hali. Bull heads became immature Cabezon. Immature Chinook became " barely legal." Don't even get me started on the ones that got away.
Soon, I was sifting thru the offal bins at fish cleaning stations looking for salmon carcasses that I could claim as my own. After a particularly unsuccessful dumpster dive, crying in a pile of guts and also some of my own vomit, I realized I had to get rid of the log book. Now I just relax and enjoy fishing.

RiverBoy, during your troubled seasons, would you be interested in a paid subscription to get up-to-date log reports from some Pro anglers? eg. Very detailed personal logs, depth, location, gear, speed, etc. ? Would you shell out $50/year to subscribe? It's not even gas expenses for a single trip.

Fisharoo,

Why don't you just ask the question you want to ask? Here... I'll do it for you:

"Will anyone would pay me a subscription fee of $50.00/year to use an online fishing log? If there are enough people interested, I will develop and host the application. The idea would be that you use the application to record your fishing trips and then all the data is aggregated and shared with other users. The application could also produce some basic analytics depending on what data was captured."

I mean really... we're a pretty open group of guys, so you could just ask what you want to know instead of "fishing" for this information.

I keep a fishing log in MS Onenote. It is available across all my devices (Windows Phone, iPad, laptop, and on the web), and it's easy to search, paste in tide tables, pictures, etc. Would I mind sharing the data? Not at all. Would I pay to see someone else's data? Not at all.

I guess I am in the camp that my log is for my personal use. Would I give up my halibut holes location, not a chance. Would I post them to a site that sells them to other fishers, well that just ain't going to happen, well not the real ones anyway!

I guess I am in the camp that my log is for my personal use. Would I give up my halibut holes location, not a chance. Would I post them to a site that sells them to other fishers, well that just ain't going to happen, well not the real ones anyway!

And therein lies the rub. The analytics would end up being all wrong because anyone who is slightly secretive about their fishing would do things like adjust catch times by 2 hours, or use coded location names like Heechy Bead and such. the public data would end up being darn near useless.

I think having a hosted fishing app that is available on all platforms, regularly backed up, etc. is perhaps a decent idea, depending on the cost. Maybe if there was enough volume you could layer an analytics engine on for all to use, but only on their own data.

Franko, thanks for your support. For the sake of keeping the thread moving in the right direction please take care not to mince words.

I'm interested in hearing exactly what I've asked previously "Do most anglers keep logs? and what are the current challenges or headaches you have recording your logs?"

If I can identify a need for logging in the community and figure out what the major problems are, I will develop some software to solve those problems. But that's only part of my query.

My second question is, if fellow fishermen would pay for a PRIVATE subscription to get real-time accurate fishing information (no secrecy) from well established Pro anglers (guides or local salmon-slayers)?

The 10% of anglers that catch the 90% are most likely keeping logs anyways. For example, it seems like fishin_magician is a senior member here. What if I made some software that helps fishin_magician easily log his fishing than his current method. Now say, fishing_magician posted to the forum and offered you to subscribe to his logs for a fee. Would you do it?

The fee would be decided by fishing_magician, and how much information he wants to disclose to his subscribers would be at his discretion.

In conclusion, I want to know:
#1 - All anglers: Do you log your fishing? What headaches do you have with your logging?
#2 - Pro Anglers: Are you interested in making money from fishing? Would you sell access to your up-to-date logs/reports to your own group of paying subscribers?
#3 - All anglers: Would you signup for a paid subscription to get accurate fishing information from your favourite local Pro angler?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't personally pay for the service. But that's just me. Part of the enjoyment of fishing for me is the figuring out of what's going on and adjusting your technique to catch what's there. That's where the satisfaction is IMO.

But I'm old school, the younger internet generation might like it.

I might be wrong but I believe David Korsch from Predator Charters already offers access to his detailed online fishing logs for a subscription fee. He is one of the most consistent guides in the Vancouver area and a super nice guy. However, I would never even consider paying to see his (or any other guides) detailed logs for a fee. Besides it kind of like reading the Bible. Each person has there own interpretation of what it's saying. To be useful you really need to be able to grasp patterns and sift all the data to apply it to a current fishing scenario. I fish hoochies a lot. For me to choose a productive colour I rely on the water colour. For anothers logs to be relevant to me the fisher would have to include water colour in the log and use hoochies on a regular basis. Otherwise, someone else's logs just wouldn't be very useful to my usual fishing tactics. I'm sure it would be an interesting read, but I'm sure not going to pay to see a pros logs. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks TheBigGuy. That's the type of feedback I'm interested in hearing. Do you personally know anyone who subscribes to David's logs?

Another question.... anyway I could help you with your own logs?

Sorry but I don't know anyone who subscribes to the Predators fishing logs. I used to keep very detailed logs when I was much younger. I still read them occasionally more for nostalgia sake than anything. I used to be much more competitive with my fishing when I was younger. Now I'm just a whole lot more relaxed about my fishing and find I can enjoy a day on the water for what it is. I just treat the fish as a bonus now. When I was younger I'd just get all bent out of shape if I wasn't catching fish on any given day. The fishing was much better then and a skunking was a rarity. Now a days I've learned to not let that ruin my day and stress over the numbers. It is what it is. The fishing will never be like it was 40 years ago. I've just come to accept that, and getting all bent out of shape about it only ruins the fishing experience entirely. Just enjoy it for what it is while you can and don't get too wound up in the numbers or poundage on board. As you get a little older bragging rights about wracking your limit doesn't seem quite as important I guess.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back