Fishing log - Do you keep one? What do you record?

fisharoo

Do many anglers here keep a fishing log? and do you find it a pain in the butt to do?

What type of details do you record? I'm usually recording the following:
-Date
-Weather (overcast, sunny, etc.)
-Type of tide change (low slack/high slack)
-Height of the tide change
-Moon cycle
-Bite::times.
-Bite::fish type
-Lures used
-Depths
-Observations of other anglers
-Observations of fish signs (jumpers, finning, bait balls)

Am I some type of OCD angler?? Do other guys record this much info?

Main points of this thread: Please answer the following questions:
#1 - All anglers: Do you log your fishing? What headaches do you have with your logging?
#2 - Pro Anglers: Are you interested in making money from fishing? Would you sell your fishing logs to your own group of paying subscribers?
#3 - All anglers: Would you signup for a paid subscription to get accurate fishing information from your favourite local Pro angler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to indicate if you or anyone in your boat was eating bananas

and if they were very ripe or has some green on them ;)

Haha. Fishtofino, you're a guide. Do you still keep logs of each of your charters? or you know your fishery off by heart now and don't bother?

With all seriousness, I'm a programmer and am thinking about building an App for super easy logging of fishing sessions and bites. I'm trying to figure out if this is something other anglers would want? Do most anglers keep logs? and what are the current challenges or headaches you have recording your logs?

Fisharoo, I use "boatingsuite" ipad app. Keep similar information as you. App allows you to see records like number of trips, cost per trip, etc, ....if you keep it up (I always do)

I keep basic records. Date, tide/current info, gear used and whether there was success or not.

It's interesting to look back at previous records and compare to present.

That's cool. Do you guys subscribe to any of the paid fishing reports like Predator charters, where he lets you know where he went each day and what depth/time he caught? Kinda cool to get real time reports from a Pro angler.

I have kept logs since 1987 in Tofino and for 6 years before that fishing Georgia Strait. Not as strict about it the last couple unless something unusual happens

Just tides, location, gear (colour & depth) and catch

Fishtofino, would analyzing your logs be useful? Like generating statistics to look for patterns, eg. what lure is most successful on certain months or tides? what portion of the tide is the most productive for a certain location, etc.?

Are there some specific patterns you'd be interested in pulling out of your 29 years of logs? Sounds like a wealth of information in there.

I use the calendar in the kitchen. When I get home, blue means fishing, how many, what type of fish and weather, wind, rain fog? Green is for hunting. Not really a log but lets me know at end of each season how many days I did what I enjoy the most. Of course GF mentions wow look how many days you went.....hunting/fishing. Don't think I would upkeep a log or app.

HM

No log for me, but I generally report my trip on here, which makes this forum a log. I wouldn't use an app. I can't even be bothered to keep a golf handicap. Shot 77 today; there, it's recorded.

I have daily logs going back to 1986..just catch, gear, location, depth.

profisher, do you think that anyone would be interested in seeing your logs? I know some guides in Vancouver have a subscription service to see their catch records.

yes i do have a spread sheet i made personally what i catch, weather,location,what wind /direction. clients name etc.etc and a place for notes

boatingsuite" ipad app

just that " No Android app " that sucks

well that counts me out taking a look and trying it out .....

Never considered my logs for any other use...just my personal interest and reference. I seldom look back...unless someone says I fished with you years ago and we had a good day but forget how big the fish were. I can go back and find the entry and tell them.

Well, I have a really good memory and over 30 years rod time. I do keep logs. Yes, my logs help me from time to time. Myself and another local guide used to strategize when the fishing got scratchy so location, location, locTion on certain tides and times were key. As were lure choice and colour selection dependent on conditions. Logs definitely put fish in the box for me when others are not catching. The best part of my logs is the "observations" relative to how many fish I may have hit.

I have kept a journal for 20 years or so-more a diary but it does contain weather, dates ,moon if pertinent,who fished, depths of water, depths on the rigger, lures used, colours. Anything or place I could have gone if I found out information after the fact. Wouldn't be interested in an app, or sharing (in detail). I find it very useful to go back and prepare for an upcoming trip-too much info in there that is personal such as lat/longs etc. An excellent tool if you fish many different locales, will give you preferred tacks etc and where the locals fish. An app might be useful to a smart phone or IPad kinda guy-but I'm a dinosaur and I ain't going to change!!

Fishtofino, would analyzing your logs be useful? Like generating statistics to look for patterns, eg. what lure is most successful on certain months or tides? what portion of the tide is the most productive for a certain location, etc.?

Are there some specific patterns you'd be interested in pulling out of your 29 years of logs? Sounds like a wealth of information in there.

I mostly use it to track chinook migrations. If the fish are earlier than normal they hit certain areas around certain dates and it's the same if they are late. The gear is usually based to water colour, depth and light conditions. This came in handy for me last year for a while.

Back