Fishing in the Shipping Lanes

TenMile

Hey guys,

Thought I'd link to a great post on another forum from one of the crew of a 891 foot Oil Tanker. He has some photos from what sport boats look like from the bridge of the tanker.

At the end of the post, he shares this advice -- wise to listen to what he says:

Seems my posts have raised a few questions from people regarding large vessels.

As for how close is too close.....if the ship is underway either in a channel or at sea....I 'd caution you to keep your distance! We cannot manoeuver quick enough to avoid a collision very well at all and chances of us seeing a small fiberglass boat...especially in reduced visibility.....are low at the best of times. These small boats do not show up very well on our radars especially in choppy seas. They do show up when it's calm but even then they are weak targets and can often be confused for sea clutter on the radar. There area also many blind spots in radar when the other small vessels are at close range.....keep in mind our scanners are almost 150' in the air and anything that comes within 1/10th of a mile will likely not be detected at all.

I believe there is a false sense of security when running with a radar reflector on your boat.....it doesn't guarantee that we will detect you but it doesn't hurt either. I have actually seen instances where we have trouble picking up larger fishing vessels at a few miles away even with all their aluminum masts and rigging. Radar is only an aid to navigation and not a precision instrument. Our vessels maintain our equipment very well but don't assume all ships radars are working as good. I can guarantee you that many flag of convenience ships do not do a very good job of maintaining them or operating them.

So basically.....don't take the chance and hope that the officer of the watch on the large ship sees you.

Also...I have seen a boat as large as 50 feet alter course to cross our stern (which I appreciated) but come too close to the stern and actually get spun around 360 degrees in our prop wash. He won't do that again!

Most Captains have "Standing Orders" on the bridge for the mates that dictace how much distance to keep between themselves and other traffic at sea. Most vessels where I trade like to keep 2NM from all traffic if at all possible if not we have to call and advise the Captain. Nothing is more annoying than having to call the Captain at 3am to let him know I have a target on the radar that refuses to give way when he should and then me having to make a large alteration to keep away. So when you do approach too close for comfort....remember that you are stirring up the guys on the bridge of the ship.....we now have to do what we can to make sure we don't run you over!

But....if the ship is anchored or alongside a dock.....most vessels do not worry about the smaller boats coming alongside for a look. But stay away from Navy ships. Just be careful and stay away from propellor and bow thruster areas as they may start at anytime even if it doesn't look like the ship is preparing to leave. Also do not venture too close to anchor pockets (Hawse Pipe) and the crew on some ships let it free fall to the bottom when in shallower water instead of lowering it slowly.

Just be careful!!! The sea is big enough for all of us!

Here is the whole post including some cool photos: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?p=624806#post624806

Excellent post, much information provided, and an insight on what is happening on the bridge of these behemoths!

i can testify to the fact that small fiberglass boats are all but invisable to my radar. on very calm days, they appear as a pencil dot on the screen. ANY vessel with a radar refector appears as quite a large target. in fact i can point out, consistently, those vessels with and without radar reflectors. why take the chance out there? reflectors are not that expensive or difficult to mount, do yourself and everyone else a giant favor get one onboard before next seaons begins.

Roger that! No radar no runny. Too many guys take the chance their gps will get them there. They forget just how easy it is to get run over or run into someone else. X2 on radar reflectors for anyone out there on foggy days. I have a really large radar unit on my boat, and even with its power those small guys do not show up well. Best bet is to install and AIS. All commercial vessels over 15 tons are required to have an AIS operating while running. If you have your AIS transmitting your location, speed and direction there is no reason for a close encounter with a freighter.

I also am a watch keeper on a large tug towing barges. As said above, most radars will not pick up fiberglass boats, and if it is a bit choopy, when we adjust the screens for clutter, it is really hard to see u. I must comment on the guys who run at 35 knots on the gps. You might know where u are going, but do u know who else is out there.
Here is an example. Recently northbound with a 6500 ton load from Tacoma, as I came around a corner ( Robinson Pt) if zero vis fog, my radars picked up a fast mover. My ARPA indicted 38 knots and zero CPA(collision imminent) He was crossing the channel on stb side at 45 degrees to me, so I slowed down more, and called on various radio channels. I was also blowing the tug fog signal Long and 2 short.... At 100 yd, he obviuosly did not know we are here, so I blasted the danger signal (5 short) several times. Finally at very close range, he stopped. ( I have very loud horn) We did not see the vessel, just his wash, but I had no way of telling him, that the barge was still coming. It would be called BUG SPLAT, if u hit my 90 ft steel tug. All commercial vessels are required to moniter CG channels and call in at designated points. If u are caught in fog, switch to the channel in your area and u can listen for big guys or even call crossing a channel.. We will answer. South of Seattle is ch 14. If anyone interested, I can list all channels for the coast. That was one of 3 that morning in fog, by Seattle, with sporties, of which I am , when on time off...

Summertime when hali was open :( sigh, this guy came out of the shipping lanes and took a shortcut across East race.

Not an easy feeling when anchored in the fog thats fer sure

Attachments

• IMG00803.jpg
    IMG00803.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG00804.jpg
    IMG00804.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread...When I was young & full of c*me I used to fish jdf shipping lane...saw some strange stuff like a Chinese freighter tossing steel & other crap off the side totally oblivious to us close by.Being tossed a side like a rag doll by a passing nuck Sub also comes to mind...:eek:

The other point to remember is sport boats are required by law to yield to large commercial vessels, regardless of shipping lane travel or not...so if you are anchored for hali all the more reason for AIS...or don't anchor in fog unless you are keeping an active watch on radar. I think my life is worth the $600 or so bucks for an AIS investment.

Anything bigger than me gets a wide berth...there's right and there's also dead right.

Last edited by a moderator:
to earlier question, aluminum (tin boats) show up on radar, althou 12 ft'ers are hard to see.

attached is a link http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0003906

check out the map at the bottom. for each sectors coverage tofino traffic is ch 74, seattle is 05A, ( ch 14 south seattle to tacoma) victoria traffic is ch 11, comox is ch 71
vancover is ch12, fraser river is ch 74, north arm tugs stby by 06.

this should show u areas where all the commercial guys are standing by on.

if u do not have a radio license etc, and just have radio mounted in boat, here is a sample call

when crossing a channel in fog, seattle traffic , this is 18ft sportie, in fog, wanting to cross channel, at such and such a point, is there any traffic I should be aware of?

They will not hassle u about registration. We all appreciate the calls. As u see on the map, all that area is undre radar coverage, if u were to get fog bound , and uncertain or concerned about your position, u can call the traffic site and advise them, they will then mark u on the screen, and inform anybody coming near u, and also can help u get home. U would be asked to stby that channel and call when clear .

I took some pics of a large freighter on the Friday of the labour day weekend running the alberni inlet. Gong show! A 12 tinny with a guy stoned out of his mind was VERY close to getting run over. The same guy drove into us earlier that morning but all was ok as we grabbed him before he hit and had a laugh. Its pretty clear common sense rules. Aka give those big guys some space. I'll try to find the pics.

also, last night, south bound for seattle, we were warned of a possible wee target in our lane, but traffic could not tell what it was. pitch black night, and with the background light of widbey airstation, I would not have seen, until last minute. It turned out to be a 25 ft sail boat sailing, with only a very dim stern light. Very difficult to see, and NO other lights. Some else complained about a target, and he got a visit from border patrol boat. If u turn your nav lights on, its a good idea to see if they are actually on. Hold your hand near lense.

good sailing, leave some for me...

Back