Fishing for flatfish off the dock

Oregon

Hello everyone. I am a fishing newbie and still learning the basics of this great hobby. I recently moved to the Sunshine Coast and now live right across the street from the ocean! I've been using my fortunate location to my advantage and have been pulling my crab trap every day at the dock near my house. The other day I saw a gentleman on the dock who was reeling in flatfish from the dock using a smaller pole. I believe they were a small flounder of sorts but he didn't speak a lick of English so I couldn't ask him about the fish or how to catch them. I read a couple posts about fishing for flatfish but the descriptions and language didn't click since I'm such a newb. I have a small trout pole with a spinning reel that was about the size that the fisherman was using. I wanted suggestions on bait and tackle. Do I just attach a weight and leader? What type of weight? How long a leader? What type of hook? The depth is about 20-25 feet and the bottom is sandy. Any recommendations on what test of line to use? Most of the info I found seemed to relate to fishing from boats at deeper depths. I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you. God bless. :)

Those fish are likely "sole". I think you can catch 8/day. Almost any small hook with a small piece of bait should catch them. You could cast out and let your line sit with a little bait or cast and retrieve a small lead head jig with or without a small piece of bait such as a small strip of anchovy, bacon, or they love a bit of clam :D. If you use 5 to 10lb test line and just a small drop or twist sinker with a small hook or two on a piece of bait you will have some fun. Just make sure to take a small cooler with ice to put the sole in because their flesh goes all mushy if they are not put on ice immediately after catching them. Pan fry or microwave them for a few minutes and you have a tasty snack.

Worms work great for bait also. I used a spinning rod with 10lb test line which allowed for long casts from shore. For leader line i would use 15-20lb test. Had lots of fun as a kid doing that. Good luck.

You can also jig for them as well. A small 2.5in. crome buzzbomb, or 1/2 oz. stingzilda with a small #2-#4 treble hook
will work just fine. Remember to pinch your barbs on the hook as all tidal waters require barbless hooks. Good luck!!

FF What are you talking about-all tidal water does not require barbless hooks-only when fishing for salmon or specifically noted. Barbs are fine for flounder or sole=shouldn't have any problem-quite obvious he's flounder or sole fishing.

Your absolutely right,spring fever. Exept for halibut circle hooks,I always use barbless hooks. Even when fishing
freshwater lakes where they aren't required. Makes releasing so much easier if your getting just small ones. But you are
right,that is perfectly legal when fishing for bottom fish.

Does a person need to use a sliding hook setup with bait for Sole-does it matter at all?

trout_1.gif

Does a person need to use a sliding hook setup with bait for Sole-does it matter at all?

trout_1.gif

Nope-- if you are just dunking bait, put the weight on the bottom and run a dropper line about a foot up the mainline with your bait. Berkly Gulp works good too

Where can I do this from shore around Victoria?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'ved fished for flounder many a time out of a boat. Usually in depths ranging from 40ft to 120ft over sandy bottoms.

When I first did it I used to use all these complicated little rigs.......like the small hook with bait or a small orange "Squirm " on it, exactly 26 inches behind a 4oz banana weight and the leader had to be no greater than 12 pound test, yadayadayada and so on and so forth.......and you had to drift slowly inching your bait acroos the ocean floor in small "jumps".

Until I discovered they'll hit just about any lead jig that is bounced along the bottom.

It didn't matter what size the jig was (although smaller ones tend to work better because of the smaller hook).

I've caught them on every jig I've ever put down there......even the baby flounders will write a cheque their body can't cash and attack a jig that is almost the same size as them.

But if I was fishing from shore I would probably go with the bait, small hook, leader and weight. That way if you get snagged you aren't losing too much........in a boat over sandy bottom the jig does not get hung up if at all...but ti might if you are dragging it sideways over the bottom from shore.

Thanks seafever. Do you have any reccomendations for where to shore fish for them?I also have a few small black octous like jigs that I could use.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're down in Victoria, right? Offhand I don't know all the good shorefishing spots there these days.

In my experience, when you get in water less than 40ft deep the really small flatfish seem to congregate.

That said, there could be exceptions in certain places.

Sandy bottoms are much better than gravel or rock for them.

Yes...flatfish are extremely common.......there are a multitude of different species in these PacNorWest waters..

Ranging in size from 6 inches to upwards of 3ft basically. (Not including Halibut)

Smaller "Sand-Dabs" and the like tend to frequent the shallow inshore waters.........whereas something like an Arrowtooth flounder will usually be beyond the scope of a shorecaster.

Oregon,

I used to fish up there as a kid. Brings back great memories crabbing and fishing of the dock.

I can remember hotdogs working well and staying on the hooks.

one thing about that spot is we used to catch sea run cutthroat casting spoons of that dock.

Good luck.

what seafever said, around 35-40 feet and deeper they seem to get bigger, but I have found the action is slower then the little guys 40ft and shollower...they do hit anything especially with bait, but my most succesful rig to date has been 2oz wieght (more if deep) with 20inch leader to a small plain silver spoon, and small hook with chicken skin as bait...

my GF has the record on my boat with this set up (around 20incher), first fish she ever caught, and on a small trout rod/reel...she didnt know what hit her LOL...good fun

Falcon1......have you ever gone out to the end of the breakwater and casted a hook with weight,leader and bait
out as absolutely as far as you can get it?

This would require a rather long cast. But if you can get one on the bottom out a ways from the granite blocks you might be able to pick up a good size flounder maybe.

Back