Fishing film.Nanaimo on the 22nd.

OldBlackDog

Might prove interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_3051.jpeg
    IMG_3051.jpeg
    834.6 KB · Views: 65
Calling all BC Fishermen!
Join us on August 22nd, 2023 at the Vancouver Island Conference Center in Nanaimo for the Politics Explained premiere screening of Aaron Gunn’s latest documentary titled: No Fishing Allowed - Trudeau's plan to decimate an entire industry. Aaron Gunn talks to scientists, managers, fishing families, and others directly involved in the commercial fishery about current and future impacts to incomes, jobs, food security, and the social fabric of the industry.
We strongly encourage as much support as possible for this event to show politicians (some of whom will be in attendance) that this is an important issue. Please share this email and link below with anyone with an interest in commercial fishing in BC.
Doors open at 6pm where appetizers will be served and there will be a cash bar. The film will be shown at 7pm, followed by a discussion with a panel of experts and industry representatives to discuss the challenges the commercial fishing industry in BC is facing.
Tickets are free, but please visit the Eventbrite page to reserve your seat.

Tonight.

Here is a Youtube link to the film if anyone wants to watch it:

Did anyone go to the screening? Wonder if it was well attended? This was more focused on commercial sector. Would be good to see someone do something similar for recreational interests, which carry an even higher dollar value and socio components.

What an absolute joke this government is and the leader. This was great documentary.

I don't know how the environmental groups sleep at night. It's disgusting honestly.

Seeing this documentary solidifies my belief that the NGO groups are playing a game with all of us. It's been a common to theme for many years in the rec sector with whales and salmon closures. Now guess what they are doing it too commercial and FN now. Big surprise.

I hope some day to see a serious lawsuit launched between all sectors together on the BS government policies.

Last edited:
We need more videos, articles and presentations shared widely to educate the public. This is NOT a scientific issue it is unfortunately a political issue that needs to be fought against politically. Time for the commercial and recreation (aka public fishing) sectors need to unite and push back against the ENGO's and their unbalanced and bias plans to heavily reduce all fishing. Time for both sectors to stand up and work together!

I agree that lawsuits are a key part of the answer as this seems to be the only thing that ENGO's & spineless and corrupt politicians respond to now.

If we did have same documentary I can see SFI leading this effort with Martin or Owen leading it with speaking points. We need a well spoken group that has the facts and bring in the other groups where needed. Especially when a camera is involved.

We need to show the jobs in guiding business and tackles side of things. Also need to show the importance of the rec anglers for the economy when it relates business. Like to see others in there such as service centers for marine repair etc.

Simply standing there and saying we have no fishing opportunities isn't really going to have a lot of teeth. We need more emphasis on economy and also show how science is not big used for these decisions.

Fn aspect would also be good to show. Lot of FN guides and FN owned marinas etc.

I agree but we need more than just a few SFI folks, we need mayors, council members, chamber of commerce leaders, FN leaders, business owners, employees, commercial fishers, regular fisher folk, etc. to have speaking points. We need to show the public that there are whole communities, many different groups and industries that are negatively impacted by poor unbalanced fisheries decisions. This can't happen soon enough!

Then we need to follow it up with lawsuits to protect our fair access rights and threaten to sue for compensation over lost economic opportunities like other resource sectors have. Then DFO and their political masters and only then will they listen to our side of the story and do (be forced) something about it. We need to work together to raise some serious $ to do this. Focusing on doing other activities just prolongs the same old same old that keeps getting worse each year. My 2 bits.

Last edited:
We need more videos, articles and presentations shared widely to educate the public. This is NOT a scientific issue it is unfortunately a political issue that needs to be fought against politically. Time for the commercial and recreation (aka public fishing) sectors need to unite and push back against the ENGO's and their unbalanced and bias plans to heavily reduce all fishing. Time for both sectors to stand up and work together!

I agree that lawsuits are a key part of the answer as this seems to be the only thing that ENGO's & spineless and corrupt politicians respond to now.
I would agree that it would be nice if the commercial and rec sectors could work together to find solid ground together ..However as one that sits at the tables i would say it is very un likely as most but not all my run in and interactions do not have a possitive outcome :(

What an absolute joke this government is and the leader. This was great documentary.

I don't know how the environmental groups sleep at night. It's disgusting honestly.

Seeing this documentary solidifies my belief that the NGO groups are playing a game with all of us. It's been a common to theme for many years in the rec sector with whales and salmon closures. Now guess what they are doing it too commercial and FN now. Big surprise.

I hope some day to see a serious lawsuit launched between all sectors together on the BS government policies.
250 k views to date.

Funny how the gov't wants to rip out 10's of thousands of fishing jobs, yet a few hundred fish farm jobs are critical to BC. Something smells fishy.

Funny how the gov't wants to rip out 10's of thousands of fishing jobs, yet a few hundred fish farm jobs are critical to BC. Something smells fishy.
The commercial salmon fishing industry/fleet has been continually hammered down since the days of the Mifflin Plan and the so-called "coho crises" way back in 1996:

1-s2.0-S0308597X18303361-gr8.jpg

Trudeau's tenure is just the latest cabinet to continue the pain, but using MPAs instead of coho to do that. And that quest is tied-in to a mystic and unsupported 2D mapping process looking for a magic and arbitrary 30% that can be presented to the rest of the World in a 30 second soundbite - rather than looking at protecting critical biologic processes in a real 3D World - irrespective of what percentage that encompasses in of a 2D mapping exercise.

Similar situation with the ZN (Rockfish) fleet and the RCA story - another boondoggle dressed-up in flowery language before and after the fact. Not that there hasn't been some success in some areas with adequate enforcement and monitoring (a problem in more remote areas) and some utility overall. But the now conveniently forgotten, unacknowledged & unsupported assertions included DFO's assertion that the “natural” mortality rate for (yelloweye and/or offshore) rockfish stocks approaches 2% using Bowie Seamount as a reference site (iffy); and that a magic 20.0% habitat closure would keep fishing mortality rates to just another magically-invented trigger of 2% (no data nor science here neither). There's also problems with using CPUE as a metric and no recruitment/current studies were done and no BACI studies were completed. I could go on - but it is now very much a "done deal" and has been for years. The ZN fleet small boat was decimated over this process.

Up until the latest Fraser Chinook closures for purportedly SRKW "needs" - the sportsfishing fleet has been able to avoid the pain that the commercial fleet has gone thru.

Even tho the video makers missed the previous historic cut-backs - some really good points in the video. My take on it is that people who understand how the commercial fishing fleets/industry work have been absent from the BC West Coast MPA modelling that was instead based only on the IUCN’s Global Conservation Standards.

But that exclusion of understanding and incorporating managing fisheries within the end result is actually Harper's to own - speaking of including important historic processes that haven't been included in this video.

Yes, Stevie blunder withdrew all the feds from the previous MPA process - PNCIMA - as Enbridge was his pet pipeline project verses Trudeau's Trans Mountain pipeline:

And they stumbled on and ahead with MAPP w/o any feds that understand how fisheries are managed due to Harper - and the result is what we see today. Too bad the video editors/writers never captured that important historic relic.

Last edited:
Back