Fishing concerns on front burner

Sushihunter

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/sookenewsmirror/news/111061224.html
Fishing concerns on front burner

By Jim Sinclair - Sooke News Mirror

Published: November 30, 2010 5:00 PM

Local representatives of the recreational fishing community continue to be concerned over various quotas and regulations as set by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO).
The concerns relate to various restrictions on the catching of halibut and salmon, and are quite strong given the significant role sports fishing plays in the local economy.
Local outfitter Ron Neitsch is an outspoken advocate for the recreational fishing community. As a guide he’s aware of the value brought to the area by visitors looking to catch fish, and how quickly they’ll change their plans if obstacles like fishing restrictions disrupt them. An ongoing source of displeasure to recreational anglers is the formula that grants 88 percent of available halibut to commercial interests, the remaining 12 per cent to sports fishers.

“I’m just learning more about it myself, but one of the things that really got me, is that most of that 88 per cent is owned by about four or five people... and they control the price of halibut.” Neitsch used $29.99/kg lately at Village Foods as an example.
Another practice he takes issue with is something he says the DFO encourages, and that’s the purchase of quota from the commercial sector by recreational fishers.
“We’ve done that in the past but the kitty is now empty,” said Neitsch. “The SFAB (Sports Fishing Advisory Board ) is telling them, ‘No, we’re not going to buy quota anymore.’ As one of the members I totally agree with that.”

Neitsch had taken in a meeting last Wednesday in Langford, the purpose of which was to establish solidarity among area anglers in the hope of more accommodating regulations from DFO.

“There were some new faces in the crowd,” said Chris Bos of the Victoria Area chapter of the SFAB about the Langford meeting. “That night we also faced a snowfall advisory to stay off the roads and a ‘nucks hockey game as competition, but still had more than 80 in the crowd.”

Bos’ comment, delivered via email, continued, “Anglers are clearly concerned about our access to fish in the future and this halibut allocation issue being a slippery slope to ruining our access to other species including salmon. Many fishing guides expressed to me how they are worried they would be hurt financially if the halibut and chinook seasons are shortened.”

Bos stated that meeting attendees gave the local SFAB reps a strong mandate to press DFO “to provide a 2011 sport halibut season starting Feb. 1 and ending Dec 31 with two per day catch and two total possession.”

Local MLA John Horgan had accepted an invitation to attend the Langford meeting.
He later noted that he was happy to attend although it is a federal matter.
“The decisions on this resource rest in Ottawa and we need to make sure the federal government understands that the people on the West Coast understand their fishery better than the bureaucrats in Ottawa do.”

Bos concluded, “As expected local anglers are also very concerned about next spring’s chinook fishing opportunities being cut off southern VI by DFO based on politics, not sound science.”

The process of pursuing what is felt to be fair treatment in regard to fish access, was to continue with related events such as the Sport Fishing Institute of BC Policy Conference (December 1 in Richmond) and early December’s South Coast SFAB post season meeting in Nanaimo meeting.

Tammy Mawani, regional manager for Groundfish with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, indicated by phone on Monday that the agency is cognizant of concerns over halibut allocation. She said a different arrangement may be possible, perhaps by January.

Back