Fishing code of conduct being finalized for Haida Gwaii

FRIM is real ,then lets start where the most significant impact can make a REAL difference, commercial trawlers, gillnets, seine,off shore drift nets, otherwise this is just lip service and kicking sand in the face of the little guy
I TOTALLY agree with you. I am 70y/o & was in the military during Viet Nam. Had plenty of dirt/sand/whatever kicked in my face. Sometimes you have to man-up & take it, make sacrifices for the greater good.
So what is your point here? QCL has many violations & has been accused of not using barbless hooks - I tend to believe the Haida statement.

I TOTALLY agree with you. I am 70y/o & was in the military during Viet Nam. Had plenty of dirt/sand/whatever kicked in my face. Sometimes you have to man-up & take it, make sacrifices for the greater good.

So what is your point here? QCL has many violations & has been accused of not using barbless hooks - I tend to believe the Haida statement.

"The ongoing carnage and waste by way of “catch and release” is taking its toll, not only on every species of salmon, but also halibut and rock cod."

"The ongoing carnage and waste by way of “catch and release” is taking its toll, not only on every species of salmon, but also halibut and rock cod."
I'd say that the "every species of salmon" is only partially correct but overall the whole statement is correct - catch & release kills fish; every gov agency that regulates fishing knows this. On one part the C&R as practiced by sporties is only part of the problem, but should we refuse to correct the part we have control over just because we don't control the other parts? DFO has stated that MSF's will not occur in areas where the mark rate is below a certain percentage because the benefit does not outweigh the damage done to wild fish.
I see the Haida as trying to control what they have the power to control.
IMO more of us need to put the interests of the fish before our own.

I'd say that the "every species of salmon" is only partially correct but overall the whole statement is correct - catch & release kills fish; every gov agency that regulates fishing knows this. On one part the C&R as practiced by sporties is only part of the problem, but should we refuse to correct the part we have control over just because we don't control the other parts? DFO has stated that MSF's will not occur in areas where the mark rate is below a certain percentage because the benefit does not outweigh the damage done to wild fish.
I see the Haida as trying to control what they have the power to control.
IMO more of us need to put the interests of the fish before our own.

Can you define Catch and Release for me?

Can you define Catch and Release for me?
IMO there are 6 types of C&R:

1 C&R when retention is illegal

2 C&R when "high grading", releasing smaller fish & retaining larger fish

3 C&R without intent of retaining fish

4 C&R after you have retained you limit

5 C&R of unmarked under/over sized fish

6 C&R of large, but legal fish

I have fished Haida Gwaii 5 times all guided & in later years tracked lodge reports with photos via the Internet

IMO what the Haida intend is to stop is 1,2,3,4 & 6
2 & 6 are common practices up there.

What a sad, ignorant and racist statement to make. It should be removed.

It's now racist to want unity and equal treatment for people of all cultures and heritages who share a country and it's resources? It's now racist to not support groups, parties or policies that want to divide the people of this nation on the basis of skin color and heritage?

Man, what crazy times we live in. I found out recently that I'm pretty much evil because I'm a white, heterosexual, generally conservative, employed, middle class male. Now I'm a racist too. Guess that completes the resume...

I find it so very unfortunate lazylump that a few people appear completely ignorant by their statements as to the history, governance, and the law works in what we call Canada. There are 3 main components of the legal system - the executive branch - which is the "government" and cabinet; the legislative branch that makes laws (prov. legislatures, & the Parliament which includes the federal house of commons & the Senate), and the judicial branch that is the courts and enforcement.

and all of the Acts & associated Regulations in Canada derive their legitimacy and authority from the Constitution Act - incl. s. 35.

Its abundantly clear through the courts and court decisions that s. 35 is upheld and supported - along with the other sections of the Act.

So - ya - we are all regulated by the same laws - esp. the Constitution Act.

Along with that - bound by the honour of the Crown. All of us. We can't stop uninformed people from making unsupported accusations based on ignorance of the laws and history of this country - but I think we can point out that is what they are doing...

What a sad, ignorant and racist statement to make. It should be removed.

i wouldn’t call that racist. Ignorant yes. Everyone labels everything racist now a days. Silly and not open minded absolutely though. I’m not for 4% of population having ultimate control but there is most definitely a place for certain things they want and need. Problem is they are give us everything period. There’s no middle ground right now with fn leadership. I’m all for a middle ground. But this amount of power is ridiculous.

Why hasn't SFAB or other groups came out with a firm stance against this nonsense ? The lack of outrage is concerning.
I guess the DFO and crazy lefty government have made the secret deals, and there's just nothing to do but except it now and wait for it to roll into our home waters.

If there has been any push back at all from any group, please let us know!

Why hasn't SFAB or other groups came out with a firm stance against this nonsense ? The lack of outrage is concerning.
I guess the DFO and crazy lefty government have made the secret deals, and there's just nothing to do but except it now and wait for it to roll into our home waters.

If there has been any push back at all from any group, please let us know!

If there has been any push back it's been in silence which it ********. We are just sitting back and watching it be taken away.

LOl... to funny :)

Derby, I have a ton of respect for you & am not trying to poke you on this...

I dont see the humor in this?? Honestly if you know something we dont pleas share. This has me stressed out. Once somthing is gone it's never coming back.

What i can say is just because it not posted on SFBC doesnt mean its not being worked on or looked at...like most stuff its not always in the best interested of whats being done to be post as public knowledge...That being said this is being worked on by some pretty smart folks & organizations colabertly over the last couple years and it will be continued to be work on tell we can hopefully find a workable solution :)

Back