Fishin line

All mono can warp the spool on your reel as it dries and shrinks a bit.
So putting some 30 lb Dacron or a bit of leftover/used powerpro type braided line acts as a cushion.
I like 50lb braid with 60 feet of 30 or 40b mono joined with a FG knot myself.

Berkeley Big Game 30lb mainlines and then depends on the leaders what you are running. Lighter for spoons, heavier for things like hoochies. Been fishing Big Game exclusively for over 30 years and it has rarely let me down. I ran out of 25 lb leader line and had to grab some Maxima a few weeks ago as I couldn't find Big Game and am not overly impressed with it, but then you do get used to how one type of line acts over time and its unique characteristics. I have found that one of the the biggest improvements to line longevity has been to use really high quality swivels on the mainline and bead chains on all the leaders. If your line doesn't twist then I would think most major brands would be ok.

I used to be Maxima only guy. Best by test as they say. But then found that the diameter of Maxima is thicker by test. So 30lb test was 35lb diameter so should be best by test. Now I use Big Game as my mainline. Seems as good as anything and cheap. The leader is what matters to me. Switched that to Fluorocarbon and no turning back. I am confident that it makes a difference when the fish get leader spooky later season.

Back