Fisheries notices

Maybe the staff is working from home still and it’s hard to get them together for decision making? Hybrid parliament and hybrid work weeks are tough on efficiency.LOL

Speaking of notices I’m not sure this one has been posted yet. It was new to me just picked it up. If its been posted I apologize but I guess we can’t be too careful.

Highlight is as of July 8 Halibut may not exceed 126cm overall length.

Speaking of notices I’m not sure this one has been posted yet. It was new to me just picked it up. If its been posted I apologize but I guess we can’t be too careful.

Highlight is as of July 8 Halibut may not exceed 126cm overall length.

126 cm is the same maximum size as was posted in February -- the change is the increase in daily limit for halibut under 90 cm - from 1 to 2. The possession limit is not changed.

I read it as a 1 day/2 day possession limit so either 2 under 90cm or 1 between 90 and 126cm per day BUT that is also a 2 day possession limit as well! I am not a lawyer so just a an opinion
I think that's how its written:

Effective at 00:01 hours July 08, 2023 until 23:59 hours on December 31, 2023:

The daily and possession limit for Halibut is EITHER of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 97 cm head-off),
OR
---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

No person shall retain a Halibut greater than 126 cm head-on length (97 cm head-off).

126 cm is the same maximum size as was posted in February -- the change is the increase in daily limit for halibut under 90 cm - from 1 to 2. The possession limit is not changed.
Ok thanks man.

I did see that but wasn't 100% sure but just thought maybe there were other dummies like me out there that may have missed that. I was just doing a quick brush up on the regs as best I can before our upcoming trip here in a couple weeks and had picked up on that.

Ok thanks man.

I did see that but wasn't 100% sure but just thought maybe there were other dummies like me out there that may have missed that. I was just doing a quick brush up on the regs as best I can before our upcoming trip here in a couple weeks and had picked up on that.
I'm heading to the Broughtons - launching in PM Monday for 10 days fishing and cruising. Was doing the same reg review last night.

I did speak to a senior representative from the fisheries minister's office today. They confirmed that they expect to have the IFMP out mid-week next week. I did ask about the openings that were in place last year starting July 15th in area 29, 18, 19, and 20 if they would be in place this year. They did not have any information they could share on that.

I do know that some First Nations were demanding reductions on impacts on Harrison Fraser Chinook stocks . DFO had approached the SFAB about wanting to meet it to discuss this. Seeing as returns exceeded expectations in 2022 and there was not any indication that things would be different in 2022, it was felt that this meeting was not necessary or needed. We'll see what comes out next week, but we still have a bullseye on our head for further reductions despite taking more than our share!

Thanks for sharing the intel. Reductions in impact or increase in what they want in their river nets, we know what the agenda is. Do we think that DFO will reject the FN’s demands without following proper consultation with the rec group? We seem to not even have a confirmed opening for the small opptys on July 15th. Does the department even care about the implications of that on broader economy?

Thanks for sharing the intel. Reductions in impact or increase in what they want in their river nets, we know what the agenda is. Do we think that DFO will reject the FN’s demands without following proper consultation with the rec group? We seem to not even have a confirmed opening for the small opptys on July 15th. Does the department even care about the implications of that on broader economy?
I think we all know that we're bottom of the barrel as far as access goes. An easy punching bag for other user groups and the federal government. Problem is we used to have more engagement and pushback for accountability. That really has just about all but disappeared. A lot of people have to look themselves in the mirror as we watch our opportunities sail into the sunset. Sad, but pretty much a true commentary!

So I’ll be heading out Saturday, hopefully hunting for a spring or two, and I know they haven’t re-released :rolleyes: the notices yet but I’m assuming they’ll be like the ones briefly released last week (and previous years). Expecting this last minute Friday so asking this now, as I’m sure some have past experience, I usually stick to Van or the SGI…

Thrasher Rock area, where 6 sub areas come together. (Talking chinook not coho etc…) If I read it right, it means that area is only somewhat fishable on July 15… ie the west-ish side 17-10, 17-11, and 29-2 and the rest of it (the portion of 29-3 to 29-5 west of Shah-Gower line) isn’t open til Aug 1st. All 80cm slot limit until Aug 31 of course.

Or would I have better luck fishing Gower point and up that way towards Sechelt. I’ve actually never fished that area

Always gets me how they have so many sub areas yet still had to create a new line chopping up 29-3 to 29-5.

We got a letter to the SFAB from DFO a few days ago outlining what the changes are. I think it posted up on one of threads. Up until last night I was thinking we might not get the 15th opening and face a few week delay. Possibly later start. From changes it looks like some areas in wcvi and north got reduced half limit for a few weeks.

After re reading I think those are only changes and Area 17 will open as usual. The new FN numbers I am hoping will be released hopefully today.

If I get info will post it up but that's where it stands right now in my mind.

We aren’t the NRA folks. We might be unified as far as wanting our access to the fishery but we don’t vote in general elections with a unified voice, not nationally or provincially. We aren’t a 300,000 member union that can swing elections in bc, and nationally by the time the federal election counts leave Ontario the result is already known. Worse than that, bc is an NDP province and that party is propping up the Federal Liberal government. The ndp is all about reallocation and SRKW and the green way forward sprinkled in with unmanageable debt and spending, we’re supposed to just shut up and pay our taxes. We are definitely fighting headwinds. A few years ago we lost 100 days of our summer fishing season for chinook salmon and the guy who made that decision is still in charge. What’s another 2 weeks gone for us, it didn’t hurt the Libs last time?

Back