Fisheries Notice

Yep-- get your lawyers out... you will need him to figure out this latest bunch of notices .

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

So am I blind, or did it not state area 27 and yet there is nothing there for area 27??

SS

Fishing001.jpg

No problem-- I wrote this just for you!!! :D

quote:Subject: FN0440-Finfish & Salmon: Addendum to FN0435 re: Addition of Subareas 27 and 127 - WCVI Chinook Conservation Measures - Chinook Non-retention and Finfish Closures

Category(s):RECREATIONAL - Salmon,RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada Subject: FN0440-Finfish & Salmon: Addendum to FN0435 re: Addition of Subareas 27 and 127 - WCVI Chinook Conservation Measures - Chinook Non-retention and Finfish Closures The following is a description of conservation measures which are implemented annually to protect wild chinook salmon returning to streams and rivers on the west coast of Vancouver Island. This year new measures have been included to address continuing low returns of chinook salmon to west coast rivers. Specifically the maximum size limit for chinook salmon within the Chinook Conservation Corridor and selected areas has been reduced to 77 centimetres. Please refer to the accompanying text for a detailed description of those areas. The WCVI Chinook conservation measures are implemented in Area 25, 26, and 27 effective July 15 and in Areas 21, 22, 23, and 24 effective August 1. These conservation measures include size limit restrictions, salmon non retention areas and fin fishing closures. This Notice provides information for Area 27 (Quatsino) and associated offshore waters. Coloured maps area available online for the areas described below.http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/coastalmap_e.htm AREAS 27/127 QUATSINO SOUND/OFFSHORE Area 27/127Effective July 15 through September 30 the daily limit is two (2) chinook, only one (1) of which may be greater than 77 cm in the following waters: - Portion of Subarea 27-1 excluding the portion lying inside the Topknot RCA - Portion of Subarea 27-2 excluding the portion lying inside the Topknot RCA and Subarea 27-3 Effective July 15 to September 30 the daily limit is two (2) chinook with a maximum size limit of 77 cm in the following waters: - Subarea 27-4 [waters inside a line from Lawn Point to Solandar Island, then to Cape Cook]- Area 127, shoreward of a line drawn approximately one nautical mile seaward of the surfline from Lawn point to Cape Scott. Effective August 1 to September 30, there is non retention of chinook in the following waters: - Subareas 27-7 to 27-11 [Quatsino Sound east of the Cliffe Point Light, Holberg Inlet and Neroutsos Inlet]. Area 27 - Fin Fishing Closures:Until December 31 the following waters will be closed to fishing for all finfish: In Area 27, the portion of Varney Bay from the Marble River tidal boundary downstream to the fishing boundary signs at the entrance of Varney Bay. Notes: Rockfish Conservation Areas are located within Areas 21 to 27. For more information regarding Rock Fish Conservation in the Pacific Region go to the DFO Rock Fish website located at: www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Restricted_Areas/RCAs/default_e.htm Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser River. The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin. Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and Coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information. Rockfish Conservation Areas are closed to all fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at: www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336. For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH. FOR MORE INFORMATION:Contact the nearest of Fisheries and Oceans Canada Office. Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0440Sent July 9, 2008 at 15:23Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

WOW! These are pretty substantial changes that will have dubious conservation results in my opinion. The long and short of all these regs. is that we will be allowed to keep only one Chinook over 77 cm (i.e. 30 inches, or approx. 10-15 lbs.) within the surfline to 1 mile offshore from Nitinat all the way up to Quatsino Sound. Which in many cases are the most productive fishing spots this time of year. In essence, it severely limits spring fishing in Quatsino, espeically Kyuquot, Esperanza, Clayoquot, Barclay Sounds and to a lesser extent Nootka Sound.

It will also means there will be a lot of large, dead springs that will never spawn, due to catch and release mortalities.

Despite the frustration for the sporties like me, what do all you guides and fishing lodge's think of this???

Sharp hooks and full traps!

I head to Kyuquot next week and was just reading all of these regs yesterday. I printed off a copy so I can study them intently, take notes, consult counsel and then study them again.

All in all....it just means I hope the weather cooperates so I can get far enough out. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

WOW! These are pretty substantial changes that will have dubious conservation results in my opinion. The long and short of all these regs. is that we will be allowed to keep only one Chinook over 77 cm (i.e. 30 inches, or approx. 10-15 lbs.) within the surfline to 1 mile offshore from Nitinat all the way up to Quatsino Sound. Which in many cases are the most productive fishing spots this time of year. In essence, it severely limits spring fishing in Quatsino, espeically Kyuquot, Esperanza, Clayoquot, Barclay Sounds and to a lesser extent Nootka Sound.

It will also means there will be a lot of large, dead springs that will never spawn, due to catch and release mortalities.

Despite the frustration for the sporties like me, what do all you guides and fishing lodge's think of this???

Sharp hooks and full traps!

It's really just an extension of the over/under regs that have been in place in the corridor for a few years now.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

Considering the estimated returns and the general consensus on this years catch,is anyone surprised?
Sounds more like a half-baked last ditch effort before shutting down the west coast entirely. I personally would have no issue with restrictions if they made sense.Keep what you catch seems much more sensitive to release mortality, and everyone knows the chances of catching springs under thirty pounds is much greater than landing two tyee.
Gotta stop,anger rising again...

There is obviously salmon fishery changes in area 27, yet this latest information referes to rock fish only. WTF?

Re-read the notice Poly-- it does focus on salmon. But I can see how people get confused. They dont make them easy to read or understand

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

I head to Kyuquot next week and was just reading all of these regs yesterday. I printed off a copy so I can study them intently, take notes, consult counsel and then study them again.

All in all....it just means I hope the weather cooperates so I can get far enough out. [8D]

Chinook will be packed into Spring Isl. as usual and will be the favoured spot especially during the later afternoon/evening bite...smack dab in the nothing over 75 cm zone.

Boy there will be alot of 25-35 lbers tossed back...lol.

I re-read the notice Cuba, and going down the list it seems to skip AREA 27 until the end. I'm referring to the text I found after following the link at the beginning of this thread.
This is really important to me as I will fish AREA 27 week after next.
A notice I found on the DFO website; FN0440-Finfish & Salmon: Addendum to FN04235 adds AREA 27 though.
When the notice describes as such:
shoreward of a line drawn approximately one nautical mile seaward fo the surfline...
does this include the inland waters also?

Note
Rockfish Conservation Areas are located within Areas 21 to 27. For more
information regarding Rock Fish Conservation in the Pacific Region go to the
DFO Rock Fish website located at:

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Restricted_Areas/RCAs/default_e.htmVariation Order Nos 2008-248 and 2008-250.

So am I right? We can not keep any chin over 77cm from 1 nm from surfline shoreward until a line from San Gert Cove to discovery point. Basically the whole enterance to Nootka sound. Seems pretty drastic at least in Barkley sound there are areas not offshore where you can keep a chin over 15lbs. Clayquot is the same if you want to keep a chin over 77cm have to head offshore. This really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will force people to bend the rules...

"you got that 40lber offshore then the bite went off so you came
in to get your one under"

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

It will force people to bend the rules...

"you got that 40lber offshore then the bite went off so you came
in to get your one under"

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

EXACTLY!!

If this was the case could you not get two 40lbers offshore and then fish for coho inside?

Poachers have a deserved bad name on this forum. Do you really think the new regs will cause people to join their scumbag ranks?
Get your big springs in the freezer before July 15/Aug 1st; fish offshore; find inside waters that still allow retention of over 77cm fish; or just enjoy the coast for the opportunities that are still there.

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne
Chinook will be packed into Spring Isl. as usual and will be the favoured spot especially during the later afternoon/evening bite...smack dab in the nothing over 75 cm zone.

Boy there will be alot of 25-35 lbers tossed back...lol.

Maybe if I hook a hog in there I can fire up the engine and drag him that mile or so out and then bonk him??? ;)

JUST KIDDING......before everyone jumps all over me. [:p]

Back