Fisheries minister on the island October 2

I have not heard that they are pushing this to be permenant......again if you understood the process both SFI and BCWF would push threy case thru the SFAB process.....

Not quite Deryk... Both SFI and BCWF have the right to arrange meetings with DFO and the Minister independent of each other or the SFAB..... and they have. While the SFAB may be seen as the overarching body for BC saltwater sportfishers, its role is advisory only The lobbying has to come from groups such as the Sport fish Halibut Coalition , the BCWF, SFI, etc..... ITS THE LETTERS FROM LITTLE GUYS THAT GET THE MOST ATTENTION--

And yes--- DFO has informed the Ex of SFAB that they are working on the paperwork to make it permanent. Its important that this be discussed at the fall local SFAC meetings . Details of the Area 14 meeting will be coming out soon I understand.

Have to agree with Lorne there - at least most of the funds are going towards researching land based systems, something I'm totally in support of. From all reports Minister had a good meeting with SFAB today also, and did a lot of listening to the issues...that's a positive as well.

Pat-- did the Minister have a meeting with the SFAB or not???

I have not heard that they are pushing this to be permenant......again if you understood the process both SFI and BCWF would push threy case thru the SFAB process.....
Derby, those are two separate issues.

Cuba Libre says they are writing legislation to make the halibut quota purchase experiment permanent. You say you have not heard of that.....So the question remains are they or aren't they??

If they are going ahead, then our understanding of the process is neither here nor there. They have gone ahead notwithstanding any input from the angling community via SFI, BCWF and SFAB, and the process is, ipso facto, a bust.

If they are not going ahead with this and it is just an ugly rumour, then the process which you defend quite strongly might actually be working (in this case at least) and we can all eat humble pie.

I for one, would like to know which is the truth....

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite Deryk... Both SFI and BCWF have the right to arrange meetings with DFO and the Minister independent of each other or the SFAB..... and they have. While the SFAB may be seen as the overarching body for BC saltwater sportfishers, its role is advisory only The lobbying has to come from groups such as the Sport fish Halibut Coalition , the BCWF, SFI, etc..... ITS THE LETTERS FROM LITTLE GUYS THAT GET THE MOST ATTENTION--

And yes--- DFO has informed the Ex of SFAB that they are working on the paperwork to make it permanent. Its important that this be discussed at the fall local SFAC meetings . Details of the Area 14 meeting will be coming out soon I understand.

You would be right on the first one......I have not heard about making it permanent, but do trust your source..... and will make a few inquires...... :)

Cuba Libre says they are writing legislation to make the halibut quota purchase experiment permanent. You say you have not heard of that.....So the question remains are they or aren't they??

If they are going ahead, then our understanding of the process is neither here nor there. They have gone ahead notwithstanding any input from the angling community via SFI, BCWF and SFAB, and the process is, ipso facto, a bust.

If they are not going ahead with this and it is just an ugly rumour, then the process which you defend quite strongly might actually be working (in this case at least) and we can all eat humble pie.

I will look into they are others within our group that would be on top of that..... :)

Did any group know of the Ministers trip?
Once again a chance to get in front of the Minister and the press missed.

Dont plan on having to eat your pie anytime soon.

Lorne

Did any group know of the Ministers trip?
Once again a chance to get in front of the Minister and the press missed.

Gerry, That is a great question,one that I was wondering myself.

It seems hard to get in front of anything regarding policy changes ect. We seem to hear about things after the fact or on the day of. Makes it hard to be heard.

Anyway I do not like it and I feel it is going to be a big blow to the sport fishers accessibility. If there is any avenue for our sector to get ahead of it before it is a done deal then I would hope it is being done and that people like myself and the many others who want to see positive change are informed and given an opportunity to help in some way if we so choose.

Well after all those meetings and all the folks who stood up and voiced our displeasure we have this.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consul.../hal-fle/docs/min-pv/2012-04-16-05-01-eng.htm

from the above link

To implement the Minister’s direction to make the experimental fishery a long term fishery, staff in DFO’s Pacific region are developing a proposed regulatory change that would create a new recreational licence category under the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations. This licence category would allow recreational harvesters to hold commercial quota for the purposes of recreational fishing.

The many comments, concerns, and suggestions provided by the community session attendees will provide important considerations as DFO develops the proposed regulatory change. The development of a regulatory change goes through numerous iterations of development, review, and approval that can take several years to complete. A draft of the proposed regulatory change will be available for public input in the early fall before it is submitted for the initial approval of the Minister. Following initial Ministerial approval and review of the Regulatory Affairs Sector, which provides guidance on all federal regulation in Canada, the proposed regulatory change will be formally published for another round of public comment before it is further revised and considered for final approval.

Should the proposed regulatory change be approved, the management of the fishery, including conditions of licence and a management plan, will be developed in collaboration with interested parties.

Will we have one more chance to voice our displeasure and will anyone show up to do so?
I went to the meeting in CR to make it loud and clear how this idea was BS.
It would have been nice to see 100 people there but it was more like a dozen.
What will it take to get our sector off their butts to do something?
GLG

Good digging GLG----- but as far as that mythical 100 to express their displeasure...... I think we both know that its easier to ***** on a fishing board , than to attend a meeting and actually write a letter to DFO.

Sad-- really sad.

Good digging GLG----- but as far as that mythical 100 to express their displeasure...... I think we both know that its easier to ***** on a fishing board , than to attend a meeting and actually write a letter to DFO.

Sad-- really sad.

Absolutely. Could not agree more.

Back