Fisheries minister on the island October 2

tigerprawn

It is good to see the minister was up island handing out money for aquaculture IE fish farms etc. There was NO I repeat NO Money for salmon enhancement project. It sure let's you know what direction this government is going. No wild fish no problem. No water storage on DeMamiel creek equals no fish. Thank a lot Mr Minister :mad:

11 and a half million all said and done if I heard right.... Lame....

It is good to see the minister was up island handing out money for aquaculture IE fish farms etc. There was NO I repeat NO Money for salmon enhancement project. It sure let's you know what direction this government is going. No wild fish no problem. No water storage on DeMamiel creek equals no fish. Thank a lot Mr Minister :mad:
Is there a media link or press release link?

Is there a media link or press release link?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ha...ve-aquaculture-in-british-columbia-2012-10-02

FINFISH

Sable Fish Canada (Salt Spring Island) has received $213,188. This project will design, construct, and test an innovative, modular, environmentally-controlled transportation system specifically designed for sablefish and suitable for other aquaculture species with minor modifications.

BC Salmon Farmers Association (Campbell River) has received $49,995. This project will deliver information technology that will be relevant to Fisheries and Oceans Canada's industry reporting requirements. Canadian salmon farmers are collaborating to improve environmental data management and information sharing to increase accuracy and reduce costs.

Taste of B.C. (Nanaimo) has received $450,000. This project will establish a land-based model aquaculture farm for steelhead as a pilot project. It will demonstrate a novel, dual drain, round tank recirculating aquaculture system. In addition, it will pilot the application of recirculating aquaculture systems for the production of steelhead in the Pacific Region.

Heres the postive. The biggest investment being made into the finfish program is for a land based pilot project as read above. I am totally for farming fish on land. And the smallest amount was invested to our friends the BCSFA which is good IMO. Could be a wolf in a sheeps clothing but i view this as positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
That can't be all Lorne?? Maybe it was 1.5 million I heard this morning. Cfax could have been wrong but I don't think I heard 1.5 million.

Have to agree with Lorne there - at least most of the funds are going towards researching land based systems, something I'm totally in support of. From all reports Minister had a good meeting with SFAB today also, and did a lot of listening to the issues...that's a positive as well.

Have to agree with Lorne there - at least most of the funds are going towards researching land based systems, something I'm totally in support of. From all reports Minister had a good meeting with SFAB today also, and did a lot of listening to the issues...that's a positive as well.

Yup..... :)

Did hell just freeze over and both of you agreed with me on something? Group hug? :)

Ill assume no, but its a start :)

Lorne

Deryk-- can you give us a report on what was discussed and what was "promised" for the west coast sportfishery? Did he explain why he is fast-tracking the experimental halibut to make it permanent?

Also. will the SFI be writing a press release on the meeting?
Thanks
Bryan

Deryk-- can you give us a report on what was discussed and what was "promised" for the west coast sportfishery? Did he explain why he is fast-tracking the experimental halibut to make it permanent?

Also. will the SFI be writing a press release on the meeting?
Thanks
Bryan

X2 on this. would be interested in hearing what was discussed and what the general mood was regarding his consideration for the sport sector.

Just what it says Gil... The Dept is writing legislation to make the Experimental Halibut Fishery permanent. And is pushing it through with no further consultation because we have already had our say-- so they are just ignoring what we think. Unverified reports say that MUCH more quota was leased this year too. Perhaps Derby can give us the numbers as I understand that the SFI has the info.

Just what it says Gil... The Dept is writing legislation to make the Experimental Halibut Fishery permanent. And is pushing it through with no further consultation because we have already had our say-- so they are just ignoring what we think. Unverified reports say that MUCH more quota was leased this year too. Perhaps Derby can give us the numbers as I understand that the SFI has the info.

Jesus...
These idiots are un real!! ( the Dfo) they had a total of maybe 40 people attend 5 info sessions acorss the island. and all 99% of the people that were there were there to protest it.

Lorne

id love to see the numbers of how much was leased. and even more so who leased it.

id love to see the numbers of how much was leased. and even more so who leased it.

Yup me too. Although I will not be surprised if it is true.

This was destined the minute everyone started to say things like "The ITQ aint going away so we better try to come up with ways of working within it" Or the other one " We need to buy and secure ownership of as much quota as we can so we can have a predictable and secure fishery"

Yup me too. Although I will not be surprised if it is true.

This was destined the minute everyone started to say things like "The ITQ aint going away so we better try to come up with ways of working within it" Or the other one " We need to buy and secure ownership of as much quota as we can so we can have a predictable and secure fishery"

I dont want to beat a dead horse, but im sure you know how i feel about the whole thing.

Jesus...
These idiots are un real!! ( the Dfo) they had a total of maybe 40 people attend 5 info sessions acorss the island. and all 99% of the people that were there were there to protest it.

Lorne

Regarding this point...as I personal have not seen the numbers and they aren't really in tell the end of the year but its my understanding less then last year in around 800lbs or less.... :)

Regarding this point...as I personal have not seen the numbers and they aren't really in tell the end of the year but its my understanding less then last year in around 800lbs or less.... :)

Well thats great news, So no one wants it, every one is against it, why is the DFO making it permenant? I have to assume the SFAB and SFI are both being very vocal that this thing is retarded( i know the BCWF has) Is this just another case of them and thier lip service to the groups that are representing us?

Lorne

At this point it's my understanding that both SFI and the SFAB did not meet with the Minister regarding this or any other matter on his latest trip..... The Minister did open a DFO office in Alberni, a quick stop at Qualicum River hatchery and drop in to check out a round table process.....pretty quick trip from what I understand :)

Well thats great news, So no one wants it, every one is against it, why is the DFO making it permenant? I have to assume the SFAB and SFI are both being very vocal that this thing is retarded( i know the BCWF has) Is this just another case of them and thier lip service to the groups that are representing us?

Lorne

I have not heard that they are pushing this to be permenant......again if you understood the process both SFI and BCWF would push threy case thru the SFAB process.....

Last edited by a moderator:
He was walking on hot coals every minute he was out here. Harper probably said get out there and make an appearance. What a pile of *****.;) eman

Back