Fish Identification

hard to tell as it’s all compressed in the bag; my guess is some sort of kelp cod or green ling

Wow... that is cool. I think @Kildonan is right... How did you work that one out? Had you seen one before. The juvenile looks nothing like the adult

The person who retained this fish did not know what species they were sealing?
There is one in every crowd. FYI it was caught in a FN gill net, was dead and was sealed to freeze it for ID as no one here had ever seen one. Thought it was something unusual or perhaps invasive and might be of interest to someone at UBC.

Wow... that is cool. I think @Kildonan is right... How did you work that one out? Had you seen one before. The juvenile looks nothing like the adult

I’d seen a post on facebook from earlier in the day with a pic of another Ragfish and somebody asking what it was. A commercial fisher identified it. It may have been the same fish but different poster.
I’d never heard of or seen one before either until yesterday. It’s a weird looking thing for sure.

sometimes the small juveniles 5 - 8 inches long i have found in chinook and halibut stomach contents off the QCI. they get quite large i believe ( north of 100lbs )

What ever it is it looks like it has something big in its stomach. Its contents would be on interesting for sure.

Back