Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the first photos have nothing to do with disease. took you a few posts to figure that out. can you please name the diseases you have shown, on farmed salmon?

Well - I gotta really thank Birdie & bones this time.

Instead of accepting that the most plausible answer as to how a virus - closely related to the NORWEGIAN strain - would likely have come via NORWEGIAN brood stock for the NORWEGIAN FF industry - they instead want posters on this forum to PROVE that the FF industry did NOT bring the PRv virus to BC and instead suggest that maybe - just maybe - a flying fish flew over the mountains from the East Coast and brought it here instead.

What utter bunk. I would be ashamed to suggest such a ridiculous theory. I can only believe that they too don't really believe anyone but the defensive FF PR industry led by Marty would expect anyone but an uniformed and naive public to believe that. Doubt is truly their product.

Anyone who knows how environmental assessments work would already know that it is always up to industry to prove that they aren't having an impact - and if they do - to mitigate and compensate. Any suggestion is shifting the burden of proof in an attempt to shift the narrative around accountability.

Yes - it was likely flying fish - in the form of broodstock eggs for FFs on the West Coast - that was the most plausible source of PRv for the West Coast - which has now infected wild stocks since the open net-cage technology cannot mitigate the wild/cultured stock interactions.

see: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0188690

But this paper fails to look at the whole picture. I fails to consider historic introductions of rainbow trout and steelhead to Europe from bc or nw America. Its no mystery that historically rainbow trout introductions to Europe were very common an clearly none of those would have been tested for viruses given the lack of technology in those days which go back as far as the 1800's. There are also introductions of steelhead for farming in Norway. I cant actually nail where they came from but they are likely from here on our coast. Were those fish tested for viruses proir to placement in salt water in norway?

My point is there has been fish transplants in both directions for almost 200 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_trout

https://fromnorway.com/en-us/norwegian-seafood/products/norwegian-steelhead-trout/

This is only an idea that I have been looking at. Ive never heard this idea from industry but its interesting how some here are reacting suddenly taking my idea and posts and vehemently claiming this is industry trickery, lies and all the rest of it. If my idea is so ridiculous why cant the guys here simple prove me wrong instead of the attacking items that in my views addresses nothing that I have brought forward.

so the first photos have nothing to do with disease. took you a few posts to figure that out. can you please name the diseases you have shown, on farmed salmon?
nothing fogged in?? your posting pictures and making claims against industry and you cant back yourself?

Every picture you have posted is called screamers disease. Picture 6 is a dead salmon coming from a sea pen, picture is from the month of August and is the perfect picture of a mort that missed dive rotation that week.

Look up screamers disease. It's a disease that comes from fish farms and does not effect wild salmon. The disease is triggered by +20 water and poor commercial diet. This is what isolates this disease to farms and farms only.... As wild salmon are not fed a commercial diet.

So will or can you explain your stance on diseases coming from fish farms. You have come here toting they are disease factories please show us the diseased wild salmon you claim........

In a third study (click link below to download), released this past April, Meador’s team found that the contaminants were also causing metabolic dysfunction, which “may result in early mortality or an impaired ability to compete for limited resources.” Again, Meador noted that metabolic dysfunction induced by CEC contamination could contribute to the two-fold reduction in the survival rate of these juvenile chinook, compared with chinook migrating from the uncontaminated estuaries, that he had found in his first study.

In a third study (click link below to download), released this past April, Meador’s team found that the contaminants were also causing metabolic dysfunction, which “may result in early mortality or an impaired ability to compete for limited resources.” Again, Meador noted that metabolic dysfunction induced by CEC contamination could contribute to the two-fold reduction in the survival rate of these juvenile chinook, compared with chinook migrating from the uncontaminated estuaries, that he had found in his first study.
Shows just how susceptible the smolts are to pollution. All the more reason to remove the sea lice infested, virus laden and disease spreading open net cage fish farms out of their migration routes wouldn't you agree?

Shows just how susceptible the smolts are to pollution. All the more reason to remove the sea lice infested, virus laden and disease spreading open net cage fish farms out of their migration routes wouldn't you agree?
Sure, but just like the activists here require, do you have any peer reviewed papers that support diseases or transfer?

been there - done that - dozens of times already Bones - and you were part of those debates on other threads - but now you pretend not to have participated nor remember?? That's really disingenuous, IMHO.

Really? Could you refresh my memory or answer the question.
What diseases have wild salmon caught from farmed fish?
Screamers disease like others have claimed?

Meador’s first study found that the survival rate of juvenile chinook that smolted in contaminated estuaries of rivers flowing into Puget Sound was cut in half compared with juveniles coming from a relatively uncontaminated natal estuary. Let me repeat that: Survival rate is cut in half.

true, but classic deflect

been there - done that - dozens of times already Bones - and you were part of those debates on other threads - but now you pretend not to have participated nor remember?? That's really disingenuous, IMHO.

I do respect Bones's right to post whatever he wants any way he wants regardless of reality.
For those who have watched his post over the years, you will recall he has been called the "King of Debaters" by his fellow Fish Farm supporters.
Well done Bones.
As hard as I try I must more consistently simple ignore Bones, as his posts for the most part do not merit a reply!

Most of the known impacts of disease transfer into wild systems in Canada has been derived from open-net pen salmon farming, since untreated discharge often gets released into the ocean or nearby freshwater.

Pens with high densities of fish are inherently vulnerable to disease (viral or bacterial) and parasites (e.g. sea lice).

sigh....AA if we've been through this then please.......what the disease called and what pesticide are they using?

Speaking of *sigh* - yes - we have been through this exact debate/conversation numerous times bones. We answer your questions - you pretend not to have the seen the posts - and ask the same questions over and over again - and round and round we go.

On the top right of every page on this forum is a search bar. I would encourage you to inform/educate yourself by using it to see the answers to the same questions you keep asking over and over again. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back