Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! That looks like something the PR firms pumped-out. Maybe they actually did.

They NEGLECT to mention that almost all of the work on PRv has been done on FARMED salmon - who do not have to run away from predators and who get fed.

They also do not mention that the location and timing of ANY outbreak is hidden by the regulators and industry so effects on adjacent wild stocks cannot be investigated nor measured. There is then NO WAY that: Surveys of Pacific salmon positive for PRV" could "disclose impacts on fish health".

They also neglect to acknowledge the real physiological effects that can and do happen (lesions, jaundice) that happen AFTER the virus disappears from the hosts body.

They neglect to mention that ther BC strain is very closely related to the Norwegian strain and could only plausibly get here through the FF industry. Instead they state: "The threat posed to salmon by Norwegian strains strongly indicates that the BC strain is different and does not induce HSMI like the Norwegian strain".

Hello Gary Marty??
Yea I was thinking Gary Marty too.

They say its related to......which opens up the question were did it originate from? Wild pacific salmon is a possibility?
Good point against all probabilities maybe somehow, someway a BC wild salmon infected with PRv swam in its compromised state all the way around the Artic passage and snuggled up to the Fish Farms in Norway and infected them.

Good point against all probabilities maybe somehow, someway a BC wild salmon infected with PRv swam in its compromised state all the way around the Artic passage and snuggled up to the Fish Farms in Norway and infected them.

Love it. Thanks for your scientific review on that possibility.

Any one else have any idea how prv could have been introduced to europe from bc. Heres a hint. History.

Where did you get this part about a virus disappearing. Its the first I hear of this. How do you know that the norwegian strain isn't from BC?
No - I can understand why Marty and the FF PR machine wouldn't want these embarrassing and legally liable facts to be well known.

From: http://www.facetsjournal.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/facets-2018-0008
Emiliano Di Cicco, Hugh W Ferguson, Karia H Kaukinen, Angela D Schulze, Shaorong Li, Amy Tabata, Oliver P Gunther, Gideon Mordecai, Curtis A Suttle, Kristina M Miller
The same strain of Piscine orthoreovirus (PRV-1) is involved with the development of different, but related, diseases in Atlantic and Pacific Salmon in British Columbia

P.4-5: "Interestingly, many of the Chinook salmon classified as PRV+/VDD+, but not with jaundice/anemia, pathologically showed advanced states of disease, suggesting that clinical signs (i.e. jaundice and anemia), which were principally used to classify fish in our study, may occur quite late in the disease process, potentially resulting in low diagnostic sensitivity on farms. Moreover, at the peak of the clinical manifestation of the disease, the virus is not always prevalent in the heart, and myocarditis lesions are not always present, suggesting a temporary occurrence of these lesions. By contrast, extensive areas of hepatonecrosis and kidney tubule necrosis are present in regions with high abundance of virus. Whether these degenerative/necrotic lesions are the result of viral infection specifically in the cells that become necrotic, or through the toxic levels of heme being collected, processed and accumulated by these tissues, is not clear, but in either case, these changes are clearly associated with PRV-1 virus-associated hemolysis."

Also check-out:
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188690
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141475

The fact that the industry has repeatedly denied the association between HMSI and PRv for years is just further proof how unreliable their spokespersons are.

This is not correct. The current testing method can not distinguish between viruses which are alive or dead. This is why a positive prv test can come from effluent samples that have been disinfected.

To repeat, the most recent study states MAYBE prv is having an effect on wild salmon. If BC's largest Agricultural export industry is subject to closure based on MAYBE then the sky is the limit for shutting down other industry's ie, sport fishing. We are already starting to see symptoms on this and is awful. Orcas are suffering, salmon returns are very unstable and low. Action must be taken however I get pretty concerned when action is based on MAYBE. I feel that the precautionary principle could be a vicious unstoppable virus itself. Its good to know that work is under way on prv.

The problem with your argument is that PRV is not on the list of viruses that would trigger the fish process plant to turn on it's disinfection equipment. It cost money to run that system so unless it becomes mandatory to run it then we know that virus is alive in the effluent. Would you not agree that we should make it mandatory for PRV?

Love it. Thanks for your scientific review on that possibility.

Any one else have any idea how prv could have been introduced to europe from bc. Heres a hint. History.

I could have come from Europe to Washington State as we have proof that this is a possibility because they just found it in smolts that they wanted to transfer into the ocean.

I could have come from Europe to Washington State as we have proof that this is a possibility because they just found it in smolts that they wanted to transfer into the ocean.

I see my question is getting easily confused but the question is: Could PRV In Europe have originated in BC and how?

Link please

So your saying prv and prv-1 are the same virus and both origin from Norway..... Interesting....

The problem with your argument is that PRV is not on the list of viruses that would trigger the fish process plant to turn on it's disinfection equipment. It cost money to run that system so unless it becomes mandatory to run it then we know that virus is alive in the effluent. Would you not agree that we should make it mandatory for PRV?

Certainly if it caused disease here in the pacific as does IHN.

Link please
I'm surprised you don't remember this as we posted this news back in May. I would have thought that something like this would have been circulated by your industry far and wide as this is very important. Perhaps it just slipped your mind.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/may1718c/

May 17, 2018

WDFW denies permit for company to place 800,000
Atlantic salmon into Puget Sound net pens

OLYMPIA – Citing the risk of fish disease transmission, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has denied permission for Cooke Aquaculture to transport 800,000 juvenile Atlantic salmon from its hatchery near Rochester to net pens at Rich Passage in Kitsap County.

In late April, Cooke applied for permission to move juvenile non-native salmon from its hatchery into pens in Kitsap County to replace adult fish that were recently harvested. Washington lawmakers enacted a bill earlier this year that will phase out Atlantic salmon aquaculture by 2022, but Cooke plans to continue to operate until then.

WDFW officials cited two factors in denying the permit that they said would increase the risk of disease transmission within the net pens and possibly to wild and hatchery-raised Pacific salmon outside the pens:

• The population of Atlantic salmon that would have been transported from Cooke's hatchery near Rochester tested positive for a form of the fish virus PRV (piscine orthoreovirus) that is essentially the same as the PRV that occurs at the Iceland hatchery from which Cooke receives Atlantic salmon eggs. The Icelandic form of PRV is not known to occur in the eastern Pacific Ocean or Puget Sound, so WDFW classifies it as "exotic" in Washington.
  • Cooke proposed to place fish into pens that have not been empty (or "fallow") for at least 30 days after the most recent harvest of adult fish, and within a farm that still contains adult Atlantic salmon. These actions would contradict the company's own management plan.
"Each of these factors raised an unacceptable risk of introducing an exotic strain of PRV into Washington marine waters," said WDFW fish health manager Ken Warheit. "This would represent an unknown and therefore unacceptable risk of disease transmission."

Warheit said samples of the juvenile fish that would have been transported were collected by an independent licensed veterinarian under contract with Cooke. The samples were tested for PRV at the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory at Washington State University. Test results were confirmed at the U.S. Geological Survey's Washington Fisheries Research Center.

Until recently, Cooke operated up to nine net pens in Puget Sound, including one at Cypress Island in Skagit County that collapsed last August and allowed approximately 250,000 Atlantic salmon to escape. The company's latest permit application is not related to the Cypress Island operation or the August mishap.

Here is the difinitive project on the origin of PRv in BC from parafin samples and guess who paid for it.
July 24, 2014
PRV common in BC waters, but no evidence of HSMI
Canada: A new study of Piscine reovirus in wild and farmed salmonids in British Columbia finds the virus was present in wild fish long before Atlantic salmon started in the province.
Odd Grydeland, FishfarmingXpert, July 25, 2014

One of the last straws being held on to by the rapidly drowning extreme anti-salmon farming community in BC is effectively being broken by the findings of a paper published recently by the Journal of Fish Diseases. The document - entitled “Piscine reovirus in wild and farmed salmonids in British Columbia, Canada: 1974–2013”- is authored by two Provincial government fish health officials (G. D. Marty and J. Bidulka), an industry veterinarian (D. B. Morrison), as well as T. Joseph of the University of Manitoba and A. Siah from the BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences in Campbell River.

The project was funded by Marine Harvest Canada through cost recovery agreements with the BC Animal Health Centre - more evidence of the industry itself funding professional research into issues surrounding the health of both farmed and wild salmon in BC.

I'm surprised you don't remember this as we posted this news back in May. I would have thought that something like this would have been circulated by your industry far and wide as this is very important. Perhaps it just slipped your mind.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/may1718c/

May 17, 2018
Ken Warheit, 360-902-2595

WDFW denies permit for company to place 800,000
Atlantic salmon into Puget Sound net pens

OLYMPIA – Citing the risk of fish disease transmission, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has denied permission for Cooke Aquaculture to transport 800,000 juvenile Atlantic salmon from its hatchery near Rochester to net pens at Rich Passage in Kitsap County.

In late April, Cooke applied for permission to move juvenile non-native salmon from its hatchery into pens in Kitsap County to replace adult fish that were recently harvested. Washington lawmakers enacted a bill earlier this year that will phase out Atlantic salmon aquaculture by 2022, but Cooke plans to continue to operate until then.

WDFW officials cited two factors in denying the permit that they said would increase the risk of disease transmission within the net pens and possibly to wild and hatchery-raised Pacific salmon outside the pens:

• The population of Atlantic salmon that would have been transported from Cooke's hatchery near Rochester tested positive for a form of the fish virus PRV (piscine orthoreovirus) that is essentially the same as the PRV that occurs at the Iceland hatchery from which Cooke receives Atlantic salmon eggs. The Icelandic form of PRV is not known to occur in the eastern Pacific Ocean or Puget Sound, so WDFW classifies it as "exotic" in Washington.
  • Cooke proposed to place fish into pens that have not been empty (or "fallow") for at least 30 days after the most recent harvest of adult fish, and within a farm that still contains adult Atlantic salmon. These actions would contradict the company's own management plan.
"Each of these factors raised an unacceptable risk of introducing an exotic strain of PRV into Washington marine waters," said WDFW fish health manager Ken Warheit. "This would represent an unknown and therefore unacceptable risk of disease transmission."

Warheit said samples of the juvenile fish that would have been transported were collected by an independent licensed veterinarian under contract with Cooke. The samples were tested for PRV at the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory at Washington State University. Test results were confirmed at the U.S. Geological Survey's Washington Fisheries Research Center.

Until recently, Cooke operated up to nine net pens in Puget Sound, including one at Cypress Island in Skagit County that collapsed last August and allowed approximately 250,000 Atlantic salmon to escape. The company's latest permit application is not related to the Cypress Island operation or the August mishap.

Oh ya. Sorry I just was distracted and dumbfounded that your reversed my question which I'm getting is being blatantly left unattended. Ill see if you fellas are going to come forward with a response in the spirit of transparency which you yourself hold to the highest standard. Lets be honest here.

Certainly if it caused disease here in the pacific as does IHN.

Glad that you admit then that your previous argument that the virus is dead is also dead and moved on to does the virus cause disease. For that I'll just go with folks that know way more then you or I do. As a recreational angler, I would advise that we should listen to PSF and not the PR firm of Doubt & Confusion Ltd.

PSF
https://www.psf.ca/news-media/prv-virus-may-cause-disease-chinook-salmon
News Release
FOR RELEASE May 7th, 2018

“Previously Only Shown to Impact Farmed Atlantic Salmon”

A new scientific study has shown for the first time that the Piscine orthoreovirus (PRV) virus, known to cause disease in farmed Atlantic salmon, may cause a pathologically different, but related disease in Chinook salmon in British Columbia. The study is part of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative (SSHI) – a partnership of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, Genome BC and Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

“The results of this study are significant because they show– for the first time – strong evidence that the same strain of PRV that causes heart and skeletal muscle inflammation disease (HSMI) in Atlantic salmon is likely to cause disease in at least one species of Pacific salmon,” said Dr. Brian Riddell, president and CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation. “These findings add to the existing concerns about the potential impacts of open net salmon farming on wild Pacific salmon off the coast of BC”.

PRV has previously been shown to be the causative agent of HSMI in Atlantic salmon. HSMI is a significant cause of mortality and economic loss in the salmon-farming industry and has to date been reported in Norway, UK/Scotland, Chile and British Columbia. Given the high prevalence of PRV in net pen salmon (estimated between 65-75% overall, with approximately 25% of salmon carrying PRV presenting with high viral loads), debate has arisen on whether PRV poses a risk to migratory salmon, especially in British Columbia where commercially important wild Pacific salmon are in decline. Divergent strains of PRV have been associated with jaundice-related diseases in Pacific salmon species (Coho, Rainbow trout) in Japan, Norway and Chile, but until now the PRV-1 strain that causes HSMI, and the only strain detected in BC, has not been shown directly affiliated with disease in Pacific salmon.

“Our study used novel molecular tools to show that PRV-1 was intimately involved in the development of jaundice/anemia in Chinook salmon,” said Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and lead scientist in the SSHI. “The study also reveals a difference in PRV-1 sensitivity between species that could easily explain why the virus causes inflammation in Atlantic salmon and cell death in Chinook salmon. Based on the results, we concluded that Chinook salmon may be at more than a minimal risk of disease from exposure to PRV occurring on salmon farms.”

“The findings in the most recent study add to the concerns of scientists, environmental groups and the BC salmon community that PRV is having negative effects on wild Pacific salmon in our coastal waters,” concluded Riddell. “I certainly hope that industry and regulators consider these findings seriously as they look at the future of the aquaculture industry in BC.”

A copy of the new study has been posted on the PSF website at www.psf.ca.

Oh ya. Sorry I just was distracted and dumbfounded that your reversed my question which I'm getting is being blatantly left unattended. Ill see if you fellas are going to come forward with a response in the spirit of transparency which you yourself hold to the highest standard. Lets be honest here.

Oh I forgot that your, how do you say, distracted and dumbfounded so easily that you feel that I can't answer your question. Perhaps you could link to a study that shows that PRV could have transfer from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. Surely there must be some DNA evidence that this is the route rather then the studies that I have seen that would suggest that the reverse is true.

July 24, 2014
Just on the few posts before, they were complaining that they didn't use the current prv information.

If what you say is right and it very well may..... Why is there two identified strains? Prv and prv-1?

Oh I forgot that your, how do you say, distracted and dumbfounded so easily that you feel that I can't answer your question. Perhaps you could link to a study that shows that PRV could have transfer from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean. Surely there must be some DNA evidence that this is the route rather then the studies that I have seen that would suggest that the reverse is true.

Like bones highlighted studies saying that prv in bc is related to prv in Norway. Big difference. Could you provide a study that shows it was in norway first and not in the pacific on any certain time line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back