Fish Farms vs Commercial Fishing

I'll step in with what I know...

I believe Marine Harvest owns the majority of BC farms (just bought by Panfish, one of the largest global Aquaculture companies). It's also my understanding >90% of BC farmed salmon are shipped and sold to the USA.

I'll step in with what I know...

I believe Marine Harvest owns the majority of BC farms (just bought by Panfish, one of the largest global Aquaculture companies). It's also my understanding >90% of BC farmed salmon are shipped and sold to the USA.

I saw this one instance in Zeballos where all the fish in the pens were dying, as in Sick [xx(]with greenish gills [xx(]and non-healthy looking at all [xx(](not even flopping around anymore), I was at the fish processors and saw them bring load after load of these dead and dying fish to get processed for sale. It was an emergency rush to market for these fish. Yum Yum. I'm sure it isn't the only time it has happened either. It might be common practise. Has anyone actually eaten a farmed fish? I heard they don't really taste the same to a salmon conisuire. Where's those trained jellyfish[?]

I saw this one instance in Zeballos where all the fish in the pens were dying, as in Sick [xx(]with greenish gills [xx(]and non-healthy looking at all [xx(](not even flopping around anymore), I was at the fish processors and saw them bring load after load of these dead and dying fish to get processed for sale. It was an emergency rush to market for these fish. Yum Yum. I'm sure it isn't the only time it has happened either. It might be common practise. Has anyone actually eaten a farmed fish? I heard they don't really taste the same to a salmon conisuire. Where's those trained jellyfish[?]

Howdy,

I'm presently working on training my pet Orca's to attack and destroy net-pens. Problem is, I don't want'em to eat all those gross-fish when they escape...

So... as a reward/treat when they are successful - I figure I'll throw'em a dried seal from Sooke! (should be able to stuff one in my 'Big-Chief' smoker?)

Good Puppy!

Cheers,
Terry

Howdy,

I'm presently working on training my pet Orca's to attack and destroy net-pens. Problem is, I don't want'em to eat all those gross-fish when they escape...

So... as a reward/treat when they are successful - I figure I'll throw'em a dried seal from Sooke! (should be able to stuff one in my 'Big-Chief' smoker?)

Good Puppy!

Cheers,
Terry

In my opinion fish farming is great - as long as it is carried out in tanks on land! This industry is no different from any other that has had to change its operations to reduce its negative environmental impact.

C'mon you stubborn fish farmers and and dithering politicians, quit thinking only about your pocket books and election coffers and do what is right for the environment and the industry and lets stop wasting time arguing back and forth when the solution is obvious!

That's my two bits.

In my opinion fish farming is great - as long as it is carried out in tanks on land! This industry is no different from any other that has had to change its operations to reduce its negative environmental impact.

C'mon you stubborn fish farmers and and dithering politicians, quit thinking only about your pocket books and election coffers and do what is right for the environment and the industry and lets stop wasting time arguing back and forth when the solution is obvious!

That's my two bits.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Not as profitable as a fish farm, but what about a privatly run "farmed river". I heard that there was a project such as this underway in the states where a fresh water body was seeded with a species of salmon (Atlantics I think), the run was permitted to leave, and upon return, all the fish returning to that body of water were harvested by the private enterprise running it as they entered the body of water. You could take some turd of a lake or stream near the coast that has already been decimated, (Jordan River comes to mind, there is a channel there that is not polluted by the mining tailings) fire as many smolts into it as you can(Hatched by the company managing the lake), and as they return, scoop 'em as they head for the lake. Since spawning isn't going to happen, there is no need for spawning habitat, hence a still freshwater source near the salt to attract them as they return to spawn. You would not waste the brood stock as the removal of eggs and milt does not hurt the product that would go to the cannery.

This would only work for species that do not spend a long time in fresh water, otherwise feeding arrangements would have to be made. Not a necessarily a bad thing, as the size of the smolts hitting the salt probably has a direct impact on their survival rate.

I'm sure there are several "crap" small freshwater lake/river systems that do not have signifigant runs along the coast to attempt this with. Using the Koksilah as an example (But not in real life as the FN have dibs on it), you take a great habitat that has no signigant run any more, and stock it.

ALthough the producer does not have the control over their product as they would in a fish farm, the total cost of running it would be near nil, as you are only producing smolts, and harvesting them as they hit your river.

Your fish can be sold as wild, some may be caught incidently in the commercial and sport fisheries, but such as a cost of doing business. ECVI has so many closures in place already, these could be adjusted to protect the farmed rivers runs.

Since a fish farmer has to babysit, I don't know, say 10 thousand fish for two to four years, I think the running costs of hatching, raising dumping and feeding smolts for a few months a year and then harvesting them would be a lot less.
This is already happening. Just look at the Alberni Canal. DFO raises the fish at Robertson Creek and 4 years later they're harvested in commercial boats.[}:)]

LC
"Not as profitable as a fish farm, but what about a privatly run "farmed river". "
Seeding a river with smolts and letting them forage for themselves in the ocean until they return to their home river to spawn, and harvesting them at that point, was tried by Weyerhauser in the late 60's or early 70's I believe. Rivers were in Alaska.

It didn't turn out to be economic (profitable) I guess because the project was abandoned.

Dr Hook is right in that hatcheries are, in essence, doing the same thing, but the difference is that no one corporation or group has rights to the returning fish.

Back