FISH FARMS HAVE TO GO!!!!!!!

totally tyee

From todays Times Colonist

Fish farm pest killing scores of salmon: study

Font: * * * * Keith Gerein, CanWest News Service; Edmonton Journal
Published: Tuesday, October 03, 2006
EDMONTON - Wild salmon migrating to the open ocean are being killed off at an alarming rate by sea lice produced by West Coast fish farms, new research from the University of Alberta suggests.

In some instances, the parasites are massacring up to 95 per cent of juvenile fish swimming through inlets where farms are located, says the study, published this week in the scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Martin Krkosek, the study's lead author, said the findings represent the most definitive proof to date of the damage British Columbia's fish farms are wreaking on wild salmon stocks.

''It appears the scale is much, much larger than people had anticipated,'' said Krkosek, a PhD student at the university's Centre for Mathematical Biology.

''Salmon naturally have very large fluctuations in their abundance. So if you get a naturally poor year for salmon and then you add in the impact of sea lice on top of that, that extra bit of mortality could be enough to put the wild populations into real trouble.''

Previous work from the researchers indicated lice produced by the fish farms was extensively infesting young, wild salmon. What was not measured was the impact of that infestation.

In their new study, the scientists found just one or two lice is often lethal to juvenile salmon, which have not had time to bulk up and build resistance to the parasites like adult fish.

The lice kill by literally eating the young fish alive. They feed on the salmon's skin, mucus, muscle and blood, creating wounds that make it difficult for fish to maintain its saltwater balance.

Those that manage to stay alive are left in a weakened state and vulnerable to other predators, Krkosek said.

For years, fish farm industry leaders, as well as officials in the B.C. and federal governments, have argued there is no clear proof the farms are a source of lice outbreaks in wild salmon.

The new study took place over two years, and looked at the impacts on two different species of salmon along three migration routes.

A total of 14,000 salmon were sampled, using a new technique that allowed researchers to determine the number of lice attached without killing the fish in the process.

The study found an increasing number of salmon were dying over the spring migration season, with the highest mortality occurring in late spring when the sea lice population is higher.

The study's findings could be a big blow to B.C.'s fish farm industry, which is planning further expansion.

Krkosek said the parasites can be partially controlled on the farms with anti-lice treatments that are added to the fish food.

However, a better approach would be to relocate fish farms away from the mouths of rivers and along narrow migration corridors. This would allow small salmon a better chance of reaching the open ocean before encountering lice, he said.

kgerein@thejournal.canwest.com

Edmonton Journal

David Suzuki (Nature of Things) did a show a few years back in the UK and Skandanavia directly linking fish farms to the complete extinction of salmon in most of the rivers in the British Isles.
Fish farms should be moved onto dry land. The water could be pumped from the ocean, into tanks, passing through filters before being returned to the ocean in a cycle to maintain clean water in the tanks. This would ensure no escapement of foreign fish, prevent lice infestations, and eliminate the solid waste that currently builds up under fish farm pens.

Nothing will be done about the current situation, as our government has no spine![xx(]

One thing is very sure, nothing, but nothing, will change until the proper pressure is exerted in the form of $$. Inland fish farming costs bucks and until coastal farming costs more, that's were it will stay, coastal.

A totally impartial study is required (a student report for goodness sake, what is that??) and how do you organize one of those? If one is conducted and f.farming is found to be killing off our fish, then maybe we can up the anti($$) and force the industy inland, where it surely belongs. I think we may have one or two MPs honest enough to get on the bandwagon. At least I hope so. My concern is, I remember what the fishing was like 20/30 years ago; what the hell are we leaving for those that follow? Not much! :(

Tom

Nothing will happen until the natives start to cry about no salmon. Then we'll see the Govn't bending over backwards. How ironic would that be.

I put this under a diff. fish farm topic, but I thought I'd put it here too:

I remember reading something about Salmon ranching. I believe the idea was to have a hatchery, let the salmon go out to sea and then harvest them when they get back (of course keeping some for brood stock).

I suppose the reasons why big business wouldn't be drawn to it are:

1) Can't use genetically modified fish.
2) Would have to use Pacific salmon.
3) Factors would be out of their control (such as ocean survival, predation)

Some reasons to be for it would be:

1) Wouldn't need to feed them all the way to harvest.
2) Could probably market them as "wild".
3) Wouldn't cause the water pollution that net reared salmon do.
4) Sea lice would not be an issue more than it is in a "normal" marine environment.

Does anyone know of an operating system like this? I know they've tried it, but I think most have gone under.

Hey guys do not believe the hype these enviromentalists are promoting as fact. Most of the information they are using for the study has been achieved using very dubious methodology. Keep in mind that enviromental groups like the ones attacking fish farms these days are the same ones that are now attacking the sport fishing community in Europe. These guys have alterior motives than proteting salmon. I am not sure how they plan to protect diminishing wild salmon runs by telling people to eat more of them. The main reasons fish are disapearing all over the coast has nothing to do with salmon farms. I feel these shrieking panic mongers take away the spotlight from the real issues such as warming oceans, spawning ground destruction and over fishing. Keep in mind that salmon numbers started dropping rapidly in the early 70's, way before there was a salmon farm anywhere in the world. Not to mention that the Broughton Archipeligo had it's highest Pink Salmon returns ever in 2004 & 2005, 2 years after this Alexandra Morton collected her data. Keep focused on the real dangers that threaten our wonderful fish. Dont listen to the rhetoric, most of it is based on junk science do your research and you will see what I am talking about. Regards

Barbender...
nobody here is saying fish farms are THE problem. Don't kid yourself, they are causing serious problems. If you eat farmed fish, you are contributing.

quote:Don't kid yourself, they are causing serious problems

Wow ok. Perhaps you can tell me exactly what these serious problems are. I have heard all the arguments and for the most part none of them hold water. Not to mention there are far more pressing dangers to wild salmon than farms. Issues that will destroy most wild salmon in a few years for good if we are not careful. However I am looking forward to hearing your response on the serious problems that have definatively been caused by salmon farming. Regards.

As I already said, fish farming is not the only threat to wild stocks, but it is the subject of this thread. I agree that fish farming could be a great tool in protecting our wild stocks, but needs better management.
I am no expert. I have read several papers on the subject...but will save my energy in telling you of them, as nothing I can say in this post will convince you one way or the other. The evidence is out there, take it as you wish. If none of it "holds water"...where is that evidence, and how is it gathered (and by whom)?
The most compelling evidence comes from Europe (Norway) where they have been salmon farming for several decades...and learned some valuable lessons, particularly on the subject of lice.
Over there, the environmentalists ("shrieking panic mongers"), scientists, and industry work together in developing solutions. (what a concept!)

Relax and try to keep this a constructive and friendly debate.

Here is the David Suzuki show...I know that he is in the ratings business, but some interesting info nevertheless.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/show_priceofsalmon.html

Ah... Barbender, you're full of BS. You come here as a new member just so you can rant for fish farms? And tell folks to do research when it appears you don't know any of it? Anyone can run off at the mouth like you, saying the research doesn't mean anything, but how would you know? Not once have you actually said a word about the new research and your grasp of all the researh is what? How can you claim to know anything? I'm tired of poeple like you who think you know more than educated folks who have taken a great deal of time and effort learning how to reseach and then actually perform research. Yes, you have an opinion, just not an informed one, and probably quite a biased one (as has been suggested) given your goofy comments and sweeping statement. Most research (including the recent research performed by educated people who know how to perform research) you say is based on "junk science." Better we should do the research you claim? Sorry, but what idiot would say such a thing?

I still dont understand WHY they dont use the old mill sites like the one at eve river and build above ground pens and filter out the water afterwards so all that fish **** and leftover food is collected and used as fertilizer afterwards they do it in other places!!!!!!!OH I forgot they (fish farmers) would have to have someone there 24/7 making sure the generators are working and more people would be needed and they wouldnt make as much money!!!!!!!Good old jimmy patterson putting money into the politicians pocket to sweep it under the table!!!!!!

Its human nature to screw up our environment then try and fix it afterwards I know in knight inlet and surrounding areas there is at least 18 operations going and they are huge farms we used to fish this place called sargeunts pass we used to get salmon and halibut in there all the time now its like a dead sea i didnt touch one hali the whole time i was there and there is no way possable it is overfished its remote as it can get, coincidence I hardly doubt it and there is no way you can convince me thats not the problem ALL that waste HAS got to do something to the surrounding waters that operation has been there for almost 8 years now can you imagine what the bottom looks like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YUCK.

WOLF

I did a term paper on fish farming and man what an eye opener.fish farming is as hard on the enviroment today as logging was 20 years ago.(I am a logger)
Under some farm sites nothing lives> If the farm has good flushing the waste is carried out to a wider area, sites with poor tidal flushing can have up to 4 feet of built up sludge(poop and food)
In the waters surrounding farm sites oxygen is depleted in the water, from algae blooms caused by farm waste.
Hopefully fish farming will be more enviromentally acceptable one day, just like many of our other industries.

ok, so we've established fish farms are a significant problem...what can we as concerned voters and taxpayers do to get the politicians to listen?

Just wondering,if anyone wrote a letter,raised hell with politicians to tell them whats up invite one to go fishing etc.Get the natives on your side.a little p.r. doesn't hurt.Put articles in news papers and magazine.There was a guy trying to sell mags.to us acouple days ago ,talk to him.If not don;t be so harsh on barbender.68

Some interesting reading can be found here:
http://leg.bc.ca/CMT/38thparl/session-2/aquaculture/hansard/hansindx/SANDX-2a.htm

This is the BC Legislature - Sustainable Aquaculture Committee - and it's hearings are still ongoing. A good place to speak up if you are so inclined.
One interesting aspect is the 'testimony' from the average citizen, as well as the scientists and industry.
I wouldn't expect anybody to read the whole thing, but just randomly click about the document and gather some of the opinions advanced.

I don't think salmon fish farms are going to go away. A $200 + million industry providing 4-6,000 or more jobs is just too good for officialdom to reject.

As for moving the farms to a land based, closed containment system, The theory is good but I don't know of any that have been built on a scale that is deemed commercially viable. Certainly the capital costs of such a system would be much higher than the current ocean based netted pens. With no proven model for a contained system, and a compliant government willing to accept the net based open water system, I see no hope for the industry to voluntarily change current practices.

That being said, I also recognize that the current methods used are not acceptable.

Given that we, the taxpayers, will always bear the ultimate costs, whether it be in the form of reduced fish runs, environmental degradation, or direct cash expenses for 'clean-up', and given that the farms are not going away, I'd suggest that we bite the bullet and fund the necessary technology development to enable commercial, land based, contained salmon farms. Funded either out of general tax revenue or a specific levy imposed on the fish farms ($0.10 per pound marketed?).

This would probably be a hard sell, even with some of the politicians who like to be seen giving grants to help the economy 'develop', but what are the alternatives? Continued bickering and environmental degradation, or a proactive and immediate action to eliminate an (in my opinion) ecological disturbance with the possibility of developing a sustainable, environmentally acceptable local industry.

Just my thoughts, but I've given up on having anything banned just because it harms the environment or the health of the citizens. Better to lead it to an early, satisfactory end, even if it costs us a few dollars now.

I agree with the intial post that they should be gone or at least limited. They seem to be located in areas that have very little water flow. There is also the potental that they escape. We had the down here during a move release a couple hundred thousand. I was kind of fun catching them but they where crusing around eating and screwing up the ecoc system. The owners said they could not survive but I am not sure I buy that. The only good that seems to come from them is the Crabbing around them is great.

quote:Ah... Barbender, you're full of BS. You come here as a new member just so you can rant for fish farms? And tell folks to do research when it appears you don't know any of it? Anyone can run off at the mouth like you, saying the research doesn't mean anything, but how would you know?

Wow Red Monster you must be a Harvard Graduate. Nice intelligent reply, how hard was it to convince you the world is not flat? As for my background I am not here to pump up fish farms at all. I am just curious as to why everyone has their sites set on farms when most of the evidence that points to the demise of salmon runs points at other factors. Should there not be something done about that first? The Cowichan River that used to support 4 different commercial fisheries can barely support a chum run now. And that is with a hatchery working full capacity. There is no salmon farm anywhere near here. Although logging and unprecedented growth seem like possible factors. Not to mention soil erosion. So the locals here instead of protesting rhetoric about farms rolled up their sleeves and worked on the river. Hopefully in a few years we should see an improvement. Just my two cents.

Back