Fish Batter recipes

happy hooker

Crew Member
OK lets have all your favourite fish and chip batters. Whose is the tastiest? I'm making some fish and chips this week and would love to try a new batter recipe.

DSC01361.jpg

Sometimes the simplest is the best,
I use the 50/50 whole wheat flour blend, baking powder and beer. ;)

fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by happy hooker

OK lets have all your favourite fish and chip batters. Whose is the tastiest? I'm making some fish and chips this week and would love to try a new batter recipe.

DSC01361.jpg

I recently downloaded a bunch of recipes off the internet and combined what I thought would work best to my taste. This is what I came up with, (works good on onion rings too):

http://jimsfishing.blogspot.com/2008/06/before-and-after.html

Jim’s Beer Batter Fried Fish

Halibut-b4-after.jpg

1 Egg
1 12 oz. Can of Beer (Canadian)
1-1/8 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Salt (Sea Salt)
¾ Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Paprika
½ Tsp White Sugar
plus a bit of flour to dredge fish in before battering.

Mix all ingredients.
Wash fish in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Roll fish in flour.
Dip in Batter.
Deep Fry at 350 until Golden. – Be careful not to let stick to wire basket in fryer.
Drain cooked fish on paper towels, lightly salt, and serve.

Tartar Sauce

1 Cup Helman’s Mayonaise
2 Pickles – Finely Chopped
½ Medium White Onion – Finely Chopped.
1 Tsp Parsley
½ Tsp Tarragon
½ Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
½ Tsp White Sugar
Juice of ½ Fresh Lemon

Mix ingredients and put in fridge. Best if prepared a few hours or a day in advance.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Sushihunters beer(EH) batter looks and sounds good copied that & and th e tartar also. Thanks
Sushi or fried whats in a name.

quote:Originally posted by 264winmag

Sushihunters beer(EH) batter looks and sounds good copied that & and the tartar also. Thanks
Sushi or fried whats in a name.

I've used this recipe twice now - with good results. First time, a can of Canadian beer was used, second time, a bottle of Sleeman's Honey Lager was used. If you use your favorite beer, it should be good.

Also, if you are worried about the garlic - don't. I could not taste garlic at all. I think it just adds to the layers of taste, but it does not jump out and scream "GARLIC".

We also had a chunk of the Halibut fresh off the cleaning table - nothing like FRESH sushi (or Sashimi, to be exact). Almost as good as raw Prawns fresh from the trap! :D

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Jim, you are right on.... both with the batter and the tartar sauce, Bravo! :D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Another real easy thing for homemade tarter is very simple.

Mayo and add green relish to what you like add a dash of lemon or dill pickle juice to taste.

just serve make as little or as much as you want.

I have a great deep fry batter recipe as well but need to find it sorry.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Wolf, a little bit of Wabasi gives it a little heat and an interesting flavour as well. :D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Easiest and best batter that I have found...
Brodies XXX Self rising flour. (can be bought at Thrifty's)
Add beer until you have a thin batter.
Make sure fish is dry, then dip and fry.
Only 2 ingredients. The flour has everthing else that you need.

I have passed this on to a few friends and they have all adopted it as the only batter that they use. Great for prawns too!

Tips

We tried the batter on some hali and lings we caught out off Swiftsure, boy is was sure good. My wife wants me to engrave it on the side of the frier so we'll never lose it. Thanks SH!!!:D

quote:Originally posted by Outtadablu

We tried the batter on some hali and lings we caught out off Swiftsure, boy is was sure good. My wife wants me to engrave it on the side of the frier so we'll never lose it. Thanks SH!!!:D

Thanks for the kind words! :D

I'm still playing with this recipe a bit. Last time I made it, I used a little extra baking powder - total of 1-1/2 Tsp. Did not get the effect I wanted. It made it very crispy and brittle.

I think next time, I will reduce to just 1 Tsp. to see if it improves.

I might also cut the garlic powder back to 3/4 Tsp, as last time it was a little stronger than the first times I made this batter. I should mention that I use the granulated garlic powder, not the fine powder stuff.

I don't know if there is anyone on here who remembers a Fish & Chip place in Richmond, on Buswell called Pasty Kings? They used to have the best fish & chips of any place I've ever been to. Better than Dave's in Steveston. They had the perfect fish batter, nice and fluffy, not heavy and greasy. I used to get the 3 piece Halibut & Chips. They would wrap it in newspaper in the proper English tradition. The place got sold to some people who turned it into a Korean restaurant - what a waste.

While I am reminissing, anyone know of a restaurant that makes a Beef Dip as good as the old Dogwood Restaurant in Richmond? Gawd, I miss those places! :(

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Back