First time fly fishing

jeffywestcoast

So i have been workin in Alberta in HighRiver and Calgary , been doing a little trout fishing in my spare time around Calgary area with not much success. yesterday i purchased a Redington fly fishing kit from wholesale sports. I always wanted to learn how to fly fish it looks like alot of fun. a fellow co-worker and myself traveled to braggcreek to check out a couple spots to fish.. the first pond we went to was called Allen bill pond but unfortunately it was next to the river and was completely washed away in the flood, second we went to a pond called mcleans pond..didnt have much luck with the fly rod..but managed to catch 4 rainbows on the tried n true bobber n worm combo.. I have alot to learn about fly fishin was kinda embarrassed to learn from another angler that i was not even set up properly.. i was tying my flies directly to the leader and didn't have a tippet attached..DAM.. you would think that for 250 bucks they might give a little more instruction on how it all works..lol..anyways was alot of fun and i cant wait to get home and back to the salmon chase and will continue to hone my fly fishing techniques..IMG_2775[1].jpgIMG_2809[1].jpg

Thanks for sharing. You can actually buy 'tapered' leaders that are leader and Tippett together, otherwise you are right you have to tie it onto your leader using a double overhand knot.

i think that is what i started with but quickly learned how easy one can lose a fly, good thing they sell em buy the dozen. lots to learn cant wait to get home and try a couple local lakes.. looks like a fun way to catch fish. i have a neat app on my iphone that shows me all the knots and is pretty helpful.

i think that is what i started with but quickly learned how easy one can lose a fly, good thing they sell em buy the dozen. lots to learn cant wait to get home and try a couple local lakes.. looks like a fun way to catch fish. i have a neat app on my iphone that shows me all the knots and is pretty helpful.

You can tie your own tapered leaders with the simple blood knot. I do this often as it can be alot of money to buy them. I am cheap tho! LOL

-KK

Or make a furled leader, just get some 5 lb test mono and youtube twisting furled leaders. I use furled leaders when I fly fish for bass, and they work great. I get an awesome turnover, and it costs me about 2 bucks to make a leader. 1 leader can last close to a full season.

Kunni

Nice thanks for the tips guys, still alot to learn i was told the 5 wt 9' fly rod would be most suited for a beginner the combo came with six flys and i purchased another dozen and this will start my collection, anyone have some go to fly for the nanaimo lakes area i am all ears. this is my collection so farIMG_2810[1].jpg

Thanks Big Green Machine i was just reading about this book on the fly fishing bc website.. sounds like a good read and i will keep my eyes open for it .

Hey Jeffy shoot me a pm. I have an extra copy of that book sitting on my shelf, if you want to cover the shipping it's all yours.

Here is a great place to buy flies if you don't tie your own.....which you will soon want to learn.

http://www.reelflies.ca/ Right now they have a coupon for 10% off plus 5 free flies.

Cannot go wrong with carey specials, hares ear nymphs and anything leach pattern related for a basic start here in BC. Lots to learn and have fun with.

Good luck

SS

www.flyfishbc.com is a good local site with some active naniamo members that might show you the ropes. When you get back you are close to very good river systems and beachs esp for salmon. I bought a 9wt rod but found it was ridiculous hard to teach myself. finally just picked up a 5wt to learn and practice on lakes with. the salt chuck fishing has been taking priority lately but as fall comes fish move in. defienlty watch as many youtube vids as possible and everyone says take a lesson. nile creek fly shop couple hours past you has a very friendly owner that gives advice to nearby spots freely and does lessons once and while.

I added a few more flys that Sitkaspruce mentioned aswel a few that fisherman gave to me in exchange for bringing him back some worms from town when i was camping at the lakes last sept. Going to head up to the lakes this afternoon see if i can manage a fish or two with my new flies. Also picked up the book "Get started fly fishing" by Craig Schuhmann should help me a little bit i think.. will have to see. :cool:IMG_2846.jpg

I started 2 years ago, with the same setup, 5 wt and 9 ft taken it to NZ, Germany, caught browns, bows, and pinks on the campbell, with the same 20 flies from 2 years ago

I added a few more flys that Sitkaspruce mentioned aswel a few that fisherman gave to me in exchange for bringing him back some worms from town when i was camping at the lakes last sept. Going to head up to the lakes this afternoon see if i can manage a fish or two with my new flies. Also picked up the book "Get started fly fishing" by Craig Schuhmann should help me a little bit i think.. will have to see. :cool:View attachment 8522

That book is OK, but you really need a BC book to get you going!

I agree with BGM, a copy
Of "The Gilly" is a must read book and although geared for the interior lakes, it has some relevance to VI lakes as well. It covers all the basics and VERY well. When I first read it in the 1980's it changed how I fly fished, what I tied for patterns, and for the better.

Leech patterns are always a good bet where rainbows are present, if cutthroats, muddler minnows and attractor patterns are more my favorite.

After some experience, chironomids are an effective pattern to fish but they take a bit to get onto the technique to fish them. But they can be deadly.

Thanks a Member on here has sent me that book in the mail and i am pretty stoked to get it, tried for awhile yesterday up at first lake but never had any takers, a guy beside me caught a small 10" cutty on the royal coachman fly..don't have that one yet... Can you elaborate on attractor patterns? i am not after all your secrets just a few pointers to get me on to my first cutty on the fly. Also i am not MEAT fishing.. all catch and release.

Hey Jeffy I tie flies fairly often if you ever come down to vic PM me and we can meet up I can show you some patterns and give you a handfull to try. I can also get you started on some tieing if you like somtime!

-KK

Attractor patterns generally do not represent one food source, they are designed to simply attract fish by using bigger and brighter material.

Back