First time changing my leg oil

TGofers

I have a Volvo 280 drive and am changing the oil but have stopped. I have pumped 1L of mercuriser gear oil but am confused. I drained and oil came out brown but now when I am pumping it is blue? Should I continue or is this not right?

Could be a different brand . hope your pumping it from the bottom of the leg?? and let it spill out the top... you say "brown" hope not like really **** colored brown more a light yellow if its dark you may have issues as a seal may be gone allowing water in...

Don't know if it matters but Volvo Penta 280 legs only require 10/30 motor oil not gear oil.

Also there is a measured amount you put in. You don't pump it in until it comes out the top you like you do on lots of other legs. Measure how much came out, if you can. There is a dipstick on top of the leg that measures the level. It should be on the flat area of the dipstick when you drop it in the hole without screwing the threads in.
Get a repair manual.

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the leg and a bolt with an allen head on the upper housing remove the plug and loosen the bolt and let gravity do its thing and flush all the crap out at the same time. If its milky you have a leak otherwise should be fairly clean.

Ok. Spoke with a couple of marine mechanics and using gear oil vs 10-30 or 40 is a better option cause 80w or 90 handles the pressure better. Always fill from bottom till ozing out of top to avoid any air bubbles which could lead to major problems.

2.6litres and engine oil is recommended. The "green" merc oil is excellent but can lead to shifting problems as that drive uses a cone clutch shift system. The early drives had a brass cone and need a light oil as the thicker lube can lead to a slipping cone. The later drives switched to a steel cone which can handle the thicker lube a little better.Volvo specs that drive to be filled from the top although no problem filling from the bottom.

Back