Changing cold engine Oil?

DuroBoat

What’s the thought on this - I usually take the boat for a warm-up run before changing the main or kicker oils. My assumption is it warms up the oil so it flows better and also stirs it up and suspends any settled particles. I won’t be going out anytime soon - should I change my oil cold or wait until I can take her for a rip first? I have a 300 yammy with 40hrs (first change was at 8hrs) and 15 merc pro. I know 40hrs is early but want new oil for the season and don’t mind an extra oil change during the first 100hrs. I can start both engines in my driveway but understand this doesn’t get them very warm at idle. Opinions from the crew?

What’s the thought on this - I usually take the boat for a warm-up run before changing the main or kicker oils. My assumption is it warms up the oil so it flows better and also stirs it up and suspends any settled particles. I won’t be going out anytime soon - should I change my oil cold or wait until I can take her for a rip first? I have a 300 yammy with 40hrs (first change was at 8hrs) and 15 merc pro. I know 40hrs is early but want new oil for the season and don’t mind an extra oil change during the first 100hrs. I can start both engines in my driveway but understand this doesn’t get them very warm at idle. Opinions from the crew?
Warm it up in the driveway….every shop does it that way

Its 10 W 40 its thin anyways if you have a sucker it will take a bit longer but really not a big deal ive done no problems, wait till its a day when its warm out ...My boats in my shop right now and its about 70 in there ill be changing it cold(warmish) lol

Back