First Nations, Union Agree Herring Fishery Should Stay Shut

Email sent but not hopeful for a intelligent response. I didn't realize the the Gulf herring are sort of there own identity in that they stay in the Gulf and reproduce here. Apparently there was a study done and that was the case. Another reason we have to regulate and protect them so much better. The whole food chain would rebound even our resident Orcas who sure aren't doing very good lately as we all have heard. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why the Gulf is suffering. WE CAN REVERSE THIS WITH SOME COMMONSENSE ACTION

The buyers of roe (Japanese) are only interested in medium size herring roe currently. Which means most of the fish caught would be caught for nothing. The guys who catch the fish make a varied sum from year to year. Some years are ok while other they work for very little. On the other hand guys like Pattison make the same big money each year while the ones who catch the product suffer. License owners make some money leasing to the crews. Basically they buy the licences and their crews pay each year to lease the license from them. Bit if a sham for sure.
Yet another reason why the licenses shouldn't be owned as long term property or accumulated by a few. Put the licenses back in the hands of owner-operators - e.g. real fishermen and the game becomes a bit more fair.

Email sent but not hopeful for a intelligent response. I didn't realize the the Gulf herring are sort of there own identity in that they stay in the Gulf and reproduce here. Apparently there was a study done and that was the case.

To the contrary, DFO claims there are very few resident herring left in the Strait. Virtually all of the herring harvested migrate in from the outside to spawn. There has not been a commercial harvest on the outside for a few years. The only exception is a small First Nations spawn on kelp harvest. Regardless of where they come from, they spawn on the inside and the small herring hang around and provide a vital part of the food chain. I'm sure many people within DFO would agree they can't pass the red face test on this one.

Email sent but not hopeful for a intelligent response. I didn't realize the the Gulf herring are sort of there own identity in that they stay in the Gulf and reproduce here. Apparently there was a study done and that was the case.

To the contrary, DFO claims there are very few resident herring left in the Strait. Virtually all of the herring harvested migrate in from the outside to spawn. There has not been a commercial harvest on the outside for a few years. The only exception is a small First Nations spawn on kelp harvest. Regardless of where they come from, they spawn on the inside and the small herring hang around and provide a vital part of the food chain. I'm sure many people within DFO would agree they can't pass the red face test on this one.

I think that's what Chevy Guy is saying: There are (or used to be) resident herring in the strait. First Nations history supports this, and many of us who've fished here for the past 30 years recall herring year-round. Like you said, DFO claims there aren't resident herring.

I'm going to a talk on wrapping pilings to allow herring to spawn. Itll be at the
West Van Streamkeepers on Thursday, Jan 29, 7pm at St Stephens Church, 885 22 St.

Anyone want to come? I'd like to get more pilings in the harbors ready for the herring this spring. Gotta boat, got some free weekends..

Back