First Nations close off Thrasher......?????

Crabs are pretty expensive now.. wonder how long till they claim all the crabs on the coast belong to them..

they already have. TAke a look at the MAPP process for Northern Vancouver Island. or any of the MAPP processess. They took the data from dfo where the commercial fleets put the most effort in put boxes around them and are saying get out. This has the potential to make a huge fricken mess. Pretty sure they have claimed most of johnstone straits as well. On one note it is good the sports sector and commercial sector are fighting this together but what a pile of crap.

GDW as far as I'm concerned it's not "Their" fish. Those fish and the waters they swim in belong to all Canadians. No way on earth should we be drawing lines on a map based on race or religion. that is nothing more than going backwards.

On another note the feds have spent close to 200 million on buying up the commercial sector using tax payers money. the result of that program to get more natives on the grounds is that I now rent quotas from a local band member at top dollar. Who ever said all the natives wanted to be fishers?

It's a vicious circle. Not sure where to stand on this. I'm against special treatment for specific user groups but, I can sympathise with First Nations to a certain extent. Although, I have seen mis-management on their part also. I agree that we as sport fishers would benefit by allying with First Nations against gov't bureaucracy but it seems they have their own agenda.

Why so many people up in arms regarding the natives? All about $$$ - really?

The government is destroying their way of life, making living off the land near impossible, giving their (YES THEIR) fish resources away to Jim Patteson and his buddies. Money can't buy that back - sure it can ease the pain but it won't fix the problems. I think if we all screwed off and left them alone they would be quite happy to not get a dime.

The natives are an ally against the government - one of the few we have. Too bad there is so much racism towards them.

In my opinion the natives perpetuate racism, they want special rights and privileges over other Canadians based on the color of their skin and there are many people like myself that disagree with that. Maybe we need a non native protest sport fishing day at thasher?

Going to be battle of the bands too... Nanaimo band is not happy about this claimed territory either... Some of that area is part of Nanaimo band territorial fishing grounds.. .. As far as them enforcing this area.. Lets hope they fire a warning shot across the bow.. Things could get ugly out there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

, giving their (YES THEIR) fish resources away

Nice of you to give a resource that belongs to all Canadians to one ethnic group. Who do you propose to give our farmland to? How about our forests?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeffy, Do as I did in the Charlottes. Fly a tribal flag of your antenna. Every one including the fisheries guys will stay far away :)

I think I still have my Haida flag......

Funny to hear a commercial fishermen (fish4all) say the fish belongs to all Canadians. What you really mean is all Canadians who can afford foreign market prices.

I agree the special treatment leads to racism but racism it still is. I personally don't blame any band who tries to stand up to DFO or government over the mis management of our natural resources. Guys say its all about $$$ for the natives well its all about money - and always has been - for the commercial fleet.

Only those who physically fish should make a dime of profit off the resource. Leasing via band or slipper skipper is wrong and tax dollars buying out commercial licenses is dead wrong.

The natives are an ally against the government - one of the few we have. .

Without getting involved, this is a very good point.

No one other group has the ability to block government projects like they do.

For example, natives are likely the last legitimate stand against coastal pipelines.

It is the demand of the export market that is killing the stocks...look at the herring roe industry.

In my opinion there is enough stock here for all Canadians, but not enough stock to feed all of the countries that we export aquaculture to.

There needs to be a choice made - either traditional way of life with traditional methods - or modern way of life with modern tools and methods. I don't see someone flying out on a modern boat, engine with modern equipment as "traditional" nor is it traditional when fishing and supplying the catch to industry or friends/relatives hundreds of kilometers away.

New definition of a no-brainer.

Harper, Clark and Pattison et al or First Nations ?

I have more faith in the latter group wanting fish and game for everyone's grandchildren.

Any new relationship is going to have its stormy moments, think about your marriage. New teams would seem to be sport, commercial and First Nations against government and large industry. I suspect it will take awhile for everyone to play nicely. :(

GDW ......... Their fish ...... Really??

So then down town Vancouver, nanaimo, Victoria, all of it. Your land your house sits on, you parents place your buddies every ones property. It's all theirs.

MAN THIS GETS OLD, as long as the free handouts continue, where is the incentive to do any better.

Not to say things were not handled correctly many many years ago, it's time for certain bands or tribes to step up and be some body. Get off the free handouts.

This will never end, the Oh Woe Is me is very old.

Tight lines every one throughout this territory

Funny to hear a commercial fishermen (fish4all) say the fish belongs to all Canadians. What you really mean is all Canadians who can afford foreign market prices.

I agree the special treatment leads to racism but racism it still is. I personally don't blame any band who tries to stand up to DFO or government over the mis management of our natural resources. Guys say its all about $$$ for the natives well its all about money - and always has been - for the commercial fleet.

Only those who physically fish should make a dime of profit off the resource. Leasing via band or slipper skipper is wrong and tax dollars buying out commercial licenses is dead wrong.

At least the commies don't pretend its about anything but money, Natives hide behind ancestral rights and ceremonial fish, which is disingenuous at best. Listen, white man has been here for 100's of years, time to grow up and make one society where everybody is equal. The day the handouts stop is the day they can progress to the next level of self sustainability.

As far as band rights go......

The bands used to fight and kill each other for the right to a particular area.........

Read up on the natives of Vancouver Island....no love lost between them at all.....

When they weren't fighting and killing each other they had the Haidas to worry about....who would row down and attack all they encountered........and the Haidas didn't fool around.

So wherever a band is now , doesn't necessarily mean that it was their's originally.

So in essence many of the bands are saying "we conquered this other band in the past...so where we are now is ours"

Pot calling the kettle black?

I will personally continue to fish and hunt until my government of the day changes REGULATIONS. Not some band saying I was here first ........ Am I suppose to go back to Ireland and say hey get off my land, I'm from here.

Give it a REST ........ Talk about discrimination. I busted my back side for every thing I have. Can they say the same or does the hand just continue to come out and say, mine mine mine !

See ya at thrasher soon !!!!

As far as band rights go......

The bands used to fight and kill each other for the right to a particular area.........

Read up on the natives of Vancouver Island....no love lost between them at all.....

When they weren't fighting and killing each other they had the Haidas to worry about....who would row down and attack all they encountered........and the Haidas didn't fool around.

So wherever a band is now , doesn't necessarily mean that it was their's originally.

So in essence many of the bands are saying "we conquered this other band in the past...so where we are now is ours"

Pot calling the kettle black?

So what your saying is that's it time to fly the Haida flag again.... :) LOL

There needs to be a choice made - either traditional way of life with traditional methods - or modern way of life with modern tools and methods. I don't see someone flying out on a modern boat, engine with modern equipment as "traditional" nor is it traditional when fishing and supplying the catch to industry or friends/relatives hundreds of kilometers away.

Flawed argument, they used fish weirs traditionally which blocked off the entire river whereas now they take advantage of the more modern harvest methods. You are saying they should go back to choking off the entire river? Why shouldn't they use the best technology available like everyone else?

Flawed argument, they used fish weirs traditionally which blocked off the entire river whereas now they take advantage of the more modern harvest methods. You are saying they should go back to choking off the entire river? Why shouldn't they use the best technology available like everyone else?

They still use weirs, I watched the Capilano band make weirs out of shopping carts and rocks last year. I agree with dabell, they should use traditional methods, not modern seine boats with every bell and whistle.

Back