first lake ( nanaimo lakes)

islander55

little fishing trip: me and my buddy went camping last weekend at first lake, nanaimo lakes BC. and brought my 10ft aluminum and my new kicker to put hours on the motor and brought our fishing tackle not thinking we would catch a whole lot well i was 100% wrong on that one. we got to the campsite on friday evening and went for a short evening troll and my buddy and I brought out our gang trolls and my wedding bands i made and trolled in about 6ft of water at the far end of the lake with all the dead heads. and we were using worms, we probs caught around 20 fish that even , they were mostly all cutthroat trout we maybe caught around 3 rainbow trout and all the fish were nice sized ones to. then we went out again all day saturday and sunday and we could not keep the fish off our rods all day. we went through 2 things of worms and 2 brand new things of power bait doe. biggest fish we got to the boat was around 4lbs, but i did catch and release all weekend, deffently a first for me. for new people that are gong there to fish i would strongly advise you guys to watch for those hiding dead heads, i lost 3 brand new gang trolls haha .
srry but i couldnt take any pictures of the catchs because my gopro and cell phone died . next time i will for sure.

Been fishing there for years, the deadheads at to bottom end are very difficult for people to troll thru , wouldn't advise it, if you pull up your gear and carefully work your way thru to the bottom end of the lake there is a small channel there it narrows and becomes Nanaimo river amazing trolling in there ,be sure not to pass the last settlers cabin or you will be shooting the rapids. 20 pulls of line is great and yes some days you can barely keep them off, there is also a small channel boat launch at the bottom end by deadwood creek campsite next to the cabins but is it is hard to get a boat of any size , (10-12' aluminum car topper) . very small boat and electric motor are a best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like my kind of camping trip. Congrats. You should have thrown this report in the catch of the day thread for fresh!

Congrats

-KK

Anyone fished Nanaimo lakes recently ?

Headed there camping for the Easter weekend and hope to get the kids out for some trouts.

Back