First fishing catch!

Sailfreak18

atu3e9uv.jpg

Hey guys just had to share the first catch I've made. My girlfriend thinks it's a bullhead? I have no idea. Also caught a very tiny halibut. Even smaller than the fish in the picture. Still haven't caught anything we can eat though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see you are in Nanaimo. Years ago in nice weather we use to anchor off one of the Fingers (small island group) in about 60 feet of water and jig for Salmon. Buzz Bombs mid water for Coho and Zilda type lures off the bottom for Chinook. If you don’t have riggers etc. give that a try.
Put in your time on a few warm evenings with a tide change or low current and you should get some Salmon.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a Sculpin. There are sea and land versions of those creatures around Nanaimo. ;)

One of them posts here frequently. Hehe

If you're using jigs for salmon...remember you gotta pinch those hook barbs .........

That is an interesting point as we also caught Rockfish and Ling close to the bottom off that Rock Island Reef using jig type lures which is to be expected for that location. So it would seem to me that it comes down to your state of mind and what was your intention. As that fishing method and bottom location is perfect for fishing bottom fish which is legal with barbed hooks and that was your intention then one would think you are perfectly legal with Barbs. If you intention was to catch salmon off the bottom in that same location which does happen then you would not be unless the hooks were not barb.

What happens if you catch a salmon on a hook with a barb while jigging for bottom fish in a location suited to Bottom fishing for Rockfish and ling etc. with the intention to catch bottom fish and you caught a Salmon. Should you throw it back? One would think there is a case to be made that you can keep it as incidental catch. Still, what would DFO Enforcements position be if they happen to show up just as you were netting that Chinook with a barbed hook jig in its mouth. You would probably have some “splaining to do Lucy” especially if you had just bonked it.

To be honest I don’t know the answer to this; would you be required to release a Salmon caught accidentally and incidentally while fishing bottom fish with a barb hook using a fishing method and location suitable to bottom fishing. I have even heard of some (rarely) catching a Chinook on bait with a barb hook off a Halibut fishing spreader bar and my guess is they did not get released. To be on the safe side I guess you could always use barbless hooks for all fish species but that kind of defeats the purpose of being permitted to use barbs for fishing Rockfish Ling and Halibut etc. Why do I even think about things like this, it just gives me a headache.

Okay so question... Can't you see the fish police coming from a mile away? I mean aren't their boats marked? I've never heard of a ghost boat lol

That is an interesting point as we also caught Rockfish and Ling close to the bottom off that Rock Island Reef using jig type lures which is to be expected for that location. So it would seem to me that it comes down to your state of mind and what was your intention. As that fishing method and bottom location is perfect for fishing bottom fish which is legal with barbed hooks and that was your intention then one would think you are perfectly legal with Barbs. If you intention was to catch salmon off the bottom in that same location which does happen then you would not be unless the hooks were not barb.

What happens if you catch a salmon on a hook with a barb while jigging for bottom fish in a location suited to Bottom fishing for Rockfish and ling etc. and catch a Salmon. Should you throw it back? One would think there is a case to be made that you can keep it as incidental catch. Still, what would DFO Enforcements position be if they happen to show up just as you were netting that Chinook with a barbed hook jig in its mouth. You would probably have some “splaining to do Lucy” especially if you had just bonked it.

To be honest I don’t know the answer to this; would you be required to release a Salmon caught accidentally and incidentally while fishing bottom fish with a barb hook using a fishing method and location suitable to bottom fishing. I have even heard of some (rarely) catching a Chinook on bait with a barb hook off a Halibut fishing spreader bar and my guess is they did not get released. To be on the safe side I guess you could always use barbless hooks for all fish species but that kind of defeats the purpose of being permitted to use barbs for fishing Rockfish Ling and Halibut etc. Why do I even think about things like this, it just gives me a headache.

Rock fish
How could you tell I am in Nanaimo? That picture was taken at decourcy islands lol

Really? That's weird... How would they even pull you over?
And for the record I removed all barbs from my hooks... My dad taught me that when I was young so I just do it as a rule

Wow Rockfish, you have thought about that a lot.... And those are some very interesting concepts you brought up.

I personally would go with the single barbless approach, but that's mostly because all I ever want to do is fish for salmon. Maybe the thinking behind the regs is you do some major damage to some of the rock species by dragging them up from the depths and they will likely die anyways, and they want to make sure the fisherman gets that rockie in the boat? In the hopes that one will be large enough for the day, of course.

I don't think you can keep a fish based on the idea that is incidental, and no one should bonk a salmon caught jigging with a cod lure if it has more than one hook and especially if it has barbs.

I like your idea of being on the safe side and using barbless for everything personally...makes the little ones or bycatch was easier to release.

Okay so question... Can't you see the fish police coming from a mile away? I mean aren't their boats marked? I've never heard of a ghost boat lol

I have been checked at the Dock etc. but have not been checked on the water for years although they have checked some of the boats around me and I can usually recognize them. They were apparently hiding behind the Sooke spit a few days back checking the boats coming in but after they check the first few boats it is all over the radio and everyone was aware they were there. As I recall their boats are not all that well marked but they are fast and rather distinctive and I suspect they like to have fun and run around in them at high speed- sort of a job perk. They may also get a ride on an RCMP boat on occasion.

Decades back one very smart DFO Enforcement officer use to go out in good weather on the Oak Bay flats in a 14 foot tinny with a small motor and regular cloths. Looked just like a fisherman and could come up right beside you without being really noticed and introduce himself. In those days some anglers had CB radios but not that many had VHF marine. Now with everyone having VHF and cell/text once they start checking everyone knows they are around and if prevention is the plan perhaps that is a good thing.

no one should bonk a salmon caught jigging with a cod lure if it has more than one hook and especially if it has barbs.

I like your idea of being on the safe side and using barbless for everything personally...makes the little ones or bycatch was easier to release.

As far as I know in general you can have more than one hook on a single lure or bait rig fishing salmon such as is found on factory rigged hootchies with one hook facing up and one down and most rig a cut plug with one single up front to tow and spin the bait and one back to catch the fish. There may be specific area restrictions that do not allow this but not in my area.

So does that mean you aren't allowed to use those three in one hooks when fishing? Why are there so many rules with all of this? What's the point?

So does that mean you aren't allowed to use those three in one hooks when fishing? Why are there so many rules with all of this? What's the point?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

Sailfreak I am not sure if you are putting us on. The purpose is conservation and maintaining a sustainable fishery. Well that and writing, rewriting and answering the phone and explaining incredibly complex and convoluted fishing regulations keeps more bureaucrats and lawyers employed. If you fish in the ocean it sounds like you need to spend some time on the attached website learning the regs. for your area and any in season changes.

As for that 3 hook in one hook you are describing they are called treble hooks and are legal in many areas and locations but not all. Are you sure you are not putting us on, but if not read the Regs.

In all honesty I dumb myself down a bit in order to make sure that I have it straight in my head. While I agree that sustainability of fish populations is important I don't believe that the type of hook I use bears any import. Yes I am very new to fishing and honestly this is the first time I fished salt water but as you said "keeping beurocrates employed" does no justify making your ( the fisherman) life harder. Thanks for the link to the regs and I will continue to read them. I just find it hard to follow rules that are made up just so some paper pusher can justify his job. So I guess to boil it down the answer to if I am having you on or not is a bit of both. And a bit of exacerbation. Honestly I would just like to sit with a rod and a hook on a boat and catch a fish. I don't want fancy gear or expensive plugs and nets. I just want peace. I find it is hard to get though, when you are constantly worried about what law/reg/addendum you need to be following and at what time.
Long rant and a lot of this is my own **** but had to get it out.

Back