Final word on Fluorocarbon

JuandeOne

Anyone have anything to add? I'm thinking more and more that big lazy springs, especially ones more off the feed, are likely leader shy and may turn away from a bait/lure if detecting/seeing a leader.

I was on a charter in Renny a few weeks ago and the guide was using fluorocarbon leaders on all his salmon rigs.

Any opinions, hopefully through experience, on whether the steathiness of fluorocarbon leaders make a difference...or am I just looking for more fishing tackle to spend money on.

Thanks.

Leader shy? Gear shy perhaps, but not leader shy! You are giving fish far too much credit, however it does come down to confidence in what you are using. Mason

I know it made a big difference fly fishing in the interior. I have just done the same switch to it for Salmon this year and the verdict is still out. We have had fish this year on tough days but hard to say if it is do to the fluorcarbon or not. You can get it cheap through Cabelas, the Cabelas fluorocarbon is made by Seaguar which is good stuff and it is 8.99 for 25m of 30lb as opposed to 100yds of 30lb for $65 up here. It is nice to support the local guys but at almost half price you gotta think...

I found that my catch rate on bigger Springs went up and stayed up after I switched to fuorocarbon leader. I too prefer the Seaguar. I saw the Cabelas brand that is made by Seaguar at my local Cabelas (Post Falls, ID) and will try it this year. I've tried a few other brands and have not been as happy.

Now, with all of that said at the same time I switched to fluocarbon I downsized the hooks that I use on my anchovy rigs (downsized to a 4) so that may have something to do with the improved catch rate or it may be a combination of both. I guess that's part of the fun of fishing.

Now I just hope that I haven't jinked myself by even discussing it. Gotta find some wood to knock on . . . .

Try the fluorocarbon coated lines. Much cheaper, same effect and handling similar to normal mono... I use it for most kind of fishing techiques...

fluro's the way to go, way more knot strength than mono it's stiffer so it gives your gear better action, try Ande's flurocarbon I like it the best I used that seaguar it seemed to frey a bit the Ande is great in the last three years I haven't had a leader break and I've put my share of hogs in the boat, hey tyeeking I've been using 3/0 for my trailers and they are working awesome I'd say 85% of my salmon are hooked on that little trailer and I use a 4/0 up front.

Made the purchase last night. Went with the Seaguar, seems the most popular in these parts and good quality. My research suggests that most "heavy hitters" nowadays have switched over and with the lack of fish these days, any advantage helps.

Ultimately mason.jar is right, I talked myself into it so I will use it with increased confidence.

Expensive as hell of course but perhaps a couple more hogs in the boat and its all good.

Thanks for all the responses.

nice JuandeOne
I can't imagine using mono for leader again that fluro does give you extra confidance for sure one tip is check your leader often for knicks if you are hitting dogs and cod I have heard fluro breaks so i assume it's when it's knicked up a bit so be careful of that and that seagar will treat you good and last you a long time

I tried fluoro for last 2 years and had my prefered mono, Maxima Ultragreen, on the other side. Didn't see a difference. I have used fluoro fly fishing with wet flys and prefer it; however, river and ocean fishing Maxima Ultragreen of varying strengths is still my go to line. Maybe in thicker diameters, higher strength, fluoro does better; however, I typically run lighter leaders than most as well as smaller hooks. A little more money for boat gas.

Back