Fight The Damned HST!

I think the Libs threw the HST on us in a attempt to stimulate the economy. eg I have got to book that new roof now so I will save 7%. I think that this strategy is going to backfire as the economy is still moving sideways and any "growth" that we are experiencing as a province is really just a pre HST bump. If and when the HST is introduced the Libs are praying that the economy will have improved by that time so we will not have a post HST slowdown.

You got to love Bill VanderZalm. No matter what you think of him he's at least got the guts to stand up and say no to this crap.

If Gordo thinks that the HST is so important and so necessary and so damm good for us then I challenge him to hold an election right friggen now so people can decide for themselves.

Common Gordo, put your money where you mouth is if you ain't chicken.

If Gordo thinks that the HST is so important and so necessary and so damm good for us then I challenge him to hold an election right friggen now so people can decide for themselves.

Common Gordo, put your money where you mouth is if you ain't chicken.

April 6 is coming up FAST Folks!
The attendance at the rallies held thus far have been stupendous! In almost every location, over capacity crowds are rallying to the cause! In fact, more Folks are attending these than any of the rallies held by either of the major parties in the past several elections! The Groundswell is Growing! :D

Due to the issue relating to my eye problems, and following the intensive surgery performed on that last week, I have had to bow out of being directly involved. That hurts as much as dealing with the eye problems itself. I VERY</u> much wanted to play a role here, however small. But they have some Fine local representation, and I feel confident the matter is in good hands.

From yesterday's Vancouver Sun:

Liberals distort tax history to justify their HST flip-flop</u>
By Vaughn Palmer
Vancouver Sun
April 3, 2010

When Finance Minister Colin Hansen tabled the enabling legislation for the harmonized sales tax this week, he offered a justification that was completely at odds with his government's previous taxation policy.
"This is a bill that modernizes and enhances the competitiveness of the provincial tax system by eliminating the old, antiquated, inefficient and job-killing provincial sales tax," Hansen said in the house.

Old, antiquated, inefficient and job killing? The PST?

That's no way for a B.C. finance minister to talk about a tax that occupied a central position in provincial fiscal policy from the time it was first enacted to support social services in 1948. Provincial governments of every political stripe -- Coalition, Social Credit, New Democratic Party and B.C. Liberal -- often tinkered with the tax, raising rates, adding exemptions. But they jealously guarded the made-in-B. C. nature of the tax as a mainstay of their budget-making, a source of revenue on one hand, a way of dispensing incentives on the other. Both aspects were tailored to a unique provincial economy and political culture.

The federal government and provincial business leaders periodically called for Victoria to join with Ottawa in a single sales tax. Most economists could sketch the long term advantages of the one tax over the two on the back of an envelope.
The pitches failed every time. Not because B.C. politicians failed to understand the long term economic benefits, but because they feared the short-term political consequences of shifting from the relatively narrow PST base to the broader federal goods and services tax regime. All those services, now subject only to the GST, where the tax bite would increase by more than double overnight. All those provincially authored exemptions that would disappear as well. No provincial government was prepared to risk the inevitable political fallout.

Carole Taylor, Hansen's predecessor as finance minister, presided over an extensive study of harmonization during the Liberals' second term. She concluded that while many businesses could benefit, the tax shift would be punishing for provincial consumers and, not incidentally, for the politicians who depend on their support to get elected. Asked point-blank whether the B.C. Liberal government would harmonize the provincial sales tax with its federal counterpart, Taylor's reply was succinct and final: "Not on my watch."

Instead the B.C. Liberals embarked on an extensive and time-consuming review of the provincial sales tax, with an aim to reforming it to better suit a changing provincial economy. Presiding over the review was then-revenue minister Rick Thorpe who noted the added advantages of a homegrown solution. "We do not want to give our sovereign tax rights away to the federal government."

As I've noted before, there's a certain irony in the way harmonization was rejected by Taylor, one of the more "liberal" Liberals, and by Thorpe, one of the more conservative ones, both of whom retired at the subsequent provincial election.
I mention it again only to note the grotesque distortion in Hansen's current justification for harmonization, implying, as it did, that his predecessors had unwittingly maintained a tax regime that was inefficient and killing jobs in the provincial economy.

Another distortion was evident in his chosen title for the enabling bill, the Consumption Tax Rebate and Transition Act, which made no mention of the harmonized sales tax that made the legislation necessary.

"I'm not quite sure why the government has chosen this rather modest title that only obliquely suggests it has anything to do with the HST," said NDP finance critic Bruce Ralston in his opening comments on the bill in the legislature Thursday. "It perhaps is an excess of modesty on the part of the minister or perhaps it's a realization that the words 'harmonized sales tax,' if it were to really identify the bill for what it was, might provoke even more public anger."

Ralston went on to suggest alternative titles: "The holding up B.C.'s end of the deal with the federal government to get $1.6 billion in swag and implement the HST act. The single best thing we can do for the B.C. economy but didn't want to tell you about before the last election act. This tax is going to fund health care, but we didn't think of that explanation for eight months." And so on.

Better still was his tongue-in-cheek suggestion that the title might violate the truth-in-advertising provisions of the Consumer Protection Act. "I say that this particular title of this particular bill falls squarely within the definition of a deceptive act or practice. It makes no reference to the HST. Everyone knows it's about the HST.
"[But] they don't even have the jam to put it in the title of the bill."

So it went in the first installment of a debate that is expected to consume most of the available time in the legislature this month.

There's the barrel. There's the fish. Fire away, Opposition members. The government has surely created a target-rich environment.

And so it goes. We VERY</u> much stand a good chance of turning this one around. Please help us end the message that we are NOT "Sheeple" and this latest BS being forced upon us Will Not Be Tolerated!

Cheers,
Nog

Nova Scotia just bumped up their HST rate two points to 15%. Once it is in place here I sure Mr. Campbell won't be tempted to do the same.

Excessive_Dishonesty_2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2

Where did you find that? Priceless!!! :D

Made it up based on something similar regarding Obama that's making the rounds. Fit the bill methinks! [}:)]
Glad you liked.

Cheers,
Nog

Petition made it on our street yesterday, seemed like a slow walk for the canvasser as everyone was signing!

Opulence: wealth ,affluence
abundance,profusion
These are things which our elected officials either provincial or federal consider themselves entitled to. As you have observed none of this is ever cut when they make cuts. The only cuts made are to taxpayer services. We have no politicians willing to change this and it is up to us to try and find a change somehow. At the rate things are happening we will soon be under the same system as the medievel serfs were.:(:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Back