Federal government petition to end salmon farming in Canadian waters

You're right GLG, it could work, but would you invest in it?

I would and I am sure there are many others with way more $$$ than me that would as well. The moving of the lice/fish farms to land is just matter of time.

With stuck in the past, status quo thinking like this we will never switch to alternatives to fossil based fuels and a never ending array of innovation and new technology. Time to stop supporting a dead end, unsustainable, polluting, disease spreading industry. My 2 bits.

some manky looking farmed salmon chowing down on what looks to be wild juvenile fish inside an open-net pen.

[video]
[/video]

some manky looking farmed salmon chowing down on what looks to be wild juvenile fish inside an open-net pen.

[video]
[/video]

thxs for posting this tincan. the youtube video says:

Published on Aug 24, 2016

Go Pro footage shot on Aug 23, 2016 in the Marine Harvest salmon farm, Midsummer Island. This footage shows farm salmon are eating wild fish in Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw territory (Broughton Archipelago), a Nation that has said NO to salmon farming for almost 30 years.

I've often wondered why people do not get more upset with this. This could even be worse than

the sea lice and disease issues. the returning salmon smolts have to run a gaunlet of these

farms,

farms usually hugging the shores where salmon smolts prefer to travel,

through net pens holding concentrations of millions of hungry atlantics,

to try to reach the open ocean and the atlantics are just waiting for them.

awesome work on DFO's part...(sarcasm)

bet you won't see this on the mainstream news. and we wonder why the runs are down.

what do you have to say about this Shuswap? How about you Dave? how about the rest of your salmon farm supporters? or the open net pen salmon farming industry itself? the evidence is right before your eyes.

awaiting the spin (BS) you try to put on this.

Last edited:
As this year’s Fraser River sockeye run plummets to record lows, scientists say they are getting closer to being able to say why British Columbia’s salmon populations are struggling to survive.

“What is the actual mechanism that’s killing them?” said Brian Riddell, CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation. “If you ever wanted to restore production you have to have an idea of what you’re going to tackle.”

This year an abysmally low 853,000 sockeye salmon returned to the Fraser River, lower than the projected 2.2 million.

Riddell and other scientists have been working on two projects that are slowly revealing the answer to the fishy whodunit: a tracking project that maps where and how salmon migrate, and another that uses genomics (sequencing and analysis of DNA) to determine whether salmon are more susceptible to disease.

Kristi Miller, a scientist with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, decided to concentrate on disease after earlier results pointed to pathogens as an important factor threatening the survival of salmon. She said it’s not yet clear whether farmed fish are passing diseases to wild fish, but hopes an upcoming data analysis later this year will help to answer that question.

con't...
http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancou...ry-to-track-down-whats-killing-bc-salmon.html

[video]
[/video]

more than a month and not a reply from the fish farm advocates from this video on post #165....
what?, no corporate spin? just keep quiet and maybe it'll all disappear? Shuswap, Dave, you guys are usually quick to come out with an excuse.... can't find one for this example?

Well I haven't been purposely avoiding Post #165 because maybe it will just disappear. Like I said before I don't feel compelled to answer all the speculation and innuendo on these forums regarding this issue. I had better things to do lately. I especially don't feel compelled when others avoid addressing my questions, but expect me to sit on the hot seat to address theirs. There is only one member here that does, so while I disagree with him I respect him on that front. Despite this, I don't post taunting posts trying to get answers from members such as yourself. I made my views on this recent circus from Ms. Morton pretty well known now. This latest so-called science from Morton is so far from mainstream science that it's basically a joke, in my opinion. If you wish to take it as gospel then go right ahead.

ahh, a deflection... a good defence when reasoning is hard to come by.
seems some's gospel is easier to understand and comprehend, and even see with your own eyes, than others...
was hoping that the net pen supporters weren't going to ignore this video and maybe try to defend what we see. so that the members here would be able to see the thinking from both sides (pro net pen supporters and anti net pen supporters) of the information contained in this video. maybe there is only one side. thousands upon thousands of farmed fish gorging themselves on wild fish at every opportunity. hopefully yet another nail in the coffin of open net fish farms. that coffins full of nails but is having a hard time getting burried thxs to the greed of industry and government.
or maybe we're just speculating that they are eating wild fish and created that innuendo....
sorry if I taunted you to come out but ussually it doesn't take much. I was surprised that a month went by without a response. maybe that video is a hard one to respond to from a pro net pen fish farm advocates point of view...

What a crock of ****. You see a video of one small unidentified fish, possibly a juvenile herring, being chased by a farmed Atlantic and you think this is terrible. What exactly do wild and hatchery chinook and coho eat when at sea? Like shuswap, I hoped this ridiculous video would simply fall into the trash bin where it belongs, but no, it's pretty much all Almo got for her "scientific journey", and you are all over it like snot on a blanket. Oh yeah, a FN group ordered a farm to be gone from their territory. Right .... how has that gone?
Give your heads a shake.
Why are you mainly silent when commies harvest tons of herring annually for just the roe? And then get pissed when the carcasses, instead of being dumped at sea or a local landfill are used for pet or fish food ... get real.

What a crock of ****. You see a video of one small unidentified fish, possibly a juvenile herring, being chased by a farmed Atlantic and you think this is terrible. .

As I recall, it was the Fish Farm people who said their net pen Atlantic salmon would not eat herring or salmon fry entering their nets as their fish only ate pellets.

ahhh... the hostile response... fight or flight...
no longer an excercise in logic or reasoning...

What a crock of ****. You see a video of one small unidentified fish, possibly a juvenile herring, being chased by a farmed Atlantic and you think this is terrible. What exactly do wild and hatchery chinook and coho eat when at sea? Like shuswap, I hoped this ridiculous video would simply fall into the trash bin where it belongs, but no, it's pretty much all Almo got for her "scientific journey", and you are all over it like snot on a blanket.

The "crock of ****" Dave is the proliferation of open net pen fish farms on our coast. pens containing millions of unnaturally raised and exotic to our ocean, atlantic salmon. salmon that there is evidence that they are having an unnatural effect on our natural "wild" ecosystem by eating our wild salmon, herring, eulechon, etc. I'm sure you would love to see it in the trash bin. you guys put your blinders on to everything else that's wrong with this industry (and the way they run it) and try to dismiss it.

Oh yeah, a FN group ordered a farm to be gone from their territory. Right .... how has that gone?
Give your heads a shake.

Give it time Dave. it isn't over yet. bet you'd like that to just end also... if the farms don't comply do you think the first nations are just going to give up? maybe it's you that should be giving your head a shake....

Why are you mainly silent when commies harvest tons of herring annually for just the roe? And then get pissed when the carcasses, instead of being dumped at sea or a local landfill are used for pet or fish food ... get real.

2 wrongs don't make a right Dave... but nice try...

Last edited:
ahh, a deflection... a good defence when reasoning is hard to come by.
seems some's gospel is easier to understand and comprehend, and even see with your own eyes, than others...
was hoping that the net pen supporters weren't going to ignore this video and maybe try to defend what we see. so that the members here would be able to see the thinking from both sides (pro net pen supporters and anti net pen supporters) of the information contained in this video. maybe there is only one side. thousands upon thousands of farmed fish gorging themselves on wild fish at every opportunity. hopefully yet another nail in the coffin of open net fish farms. that coffins full of nails but is having a hard time getting burried thxs to the greed of industry and government.
or maybe we're just speculating that they are eating wild fish and created that innuendo....
sorry if I taunted you to come out but ussually it doesn't take much. I was surprised that a month went by without a response. maybe that video is a hard one to respond to from a pro net pen fish farm advocates point of view...
No deflection at all. Like I said before I commented on Morton's "Hard Evidence" video already, but hey...whatever floats your boat I guess. Some are too eager to buy from the snake oil sales person, but each their own. Morton doesnt understand the odd and even year difference with pink salmon, but is spouting off that there are no Fraser Pinks this season. Yet, many on the Salmon Are Sacred site are buying it hook, line and sinker.

So, a video clip that is less than 2 minutes is conclusive evidence that "thousands upon thousands" of farmed fish are "gorging" themselves on wild fish (which you or the person shooting the video don't know what they are)? Do you believe that the feeding habits of fish can be accurately captured in a short video clip? Is this how researchers typically study this stuff?

You need to ask how important are these other fish species to farmed Atlantic salmon in net pens before just looking at an edited video clip. Have you done stomach analysis on these farmed Atlantic Salmon to determine what contribution these other fish species make up in their diet? Do you have any idea on consumption rates, prey availability throughout the year or any idea of fish feeding patterns? There is a bit more to it than what Morton has led you to believe. You don't have to take my word for it - a simple Google search will show you or go ask those that do that type of research. Simply watching a short video of larger fish striking at smaller fish and drawing grand conclusions of mass carnage is laughable. Yeah, maybe you are just speculating.....that's why I'm in no rush responding.

Last edited:
So, how did this turn out?
I just received an email update from Fin Donnelly today:

"The first hour of debate on Bill C-228 took place in Parliament on November 1st. This was our first opportunity to hear if government MPs would do the right thing to #SaveWildSalmon.

Unfortunately, the two‎ Liberal MPs participating in the debate spoke against the Bill. But this is not the end, it's just the beginning. There is still time for us to convince MPs to do the right thing.

Please, if you have not already done so, contact your Member of Parliament to ask them to support Bill C-228. Then share this link on social media, on Facebook, twitter or email.

I have been working hard in Ottawa, meeting with MPs from every political party and asking them to #SaveWildSalmon. It's been going well but I need your help.

We need 170 Members of Parliament to vote yes to Bill C-228. The more people who email their MPs, the greater chance we have of success.

Ask your friends to contact their MP to seize this historic opportunity and support Bill C-228 bysharing http://salmon.advokit.ca/ on Facebook, twitter or email

Together, we can ensure a healthy future for wild salmon and the people who depend on them.

Thank you for your support,

Fin Donnelly, MP
Port Moody-Coquitlam
Critic for Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard
Canada's New Democrats

P.S. You can watch my speech to the House of Commons in support of Bill C-228 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd8cfmCHpOA&t=7s

Back