Federal government petition to end salmon farming in Canadian waters

Agent, didn’t you agree to wait for Miller-Saunders to speak to this issue? Now you are adding more speculation and opinions but no new information. What’s up?

sadly watched another new salmon feedlot get pushed up Tlupana Inlet, Nootka Sound a few days ago.... doesn't seem like slowing down to me.... how much clogging of the arteries do they think these regions can withstand before total collapse?

sadly watched another new salmon feedlot get pushed up Tlupana Inlet, Nootka Sound a few days ago.... doesn't seem like slowing down to me.... how much clogging of the arteries do they think these regions can withstand before total collapse?

A new system(cage system) being moved does not mean a new farm or a new lease in that area is being put in place. Activists commonly use these types of misleading statements which are misrepresentations of the facts.

bigdoegh couldn't just be another "concerned citizen" - has to wear the label "activist" because it's easier to disregard his concerns then...

We all know this is an anonymous forum for individuals ( for some more than others) so I apologize to you agent if you think I'm calling BDE an activist. I suspect that he/she is a grown adult and doesn't necessarily need you chiming in for the slightest little thing. You his mommy? lol

I hope everyone here is an activist at some level.

A new system(cage system) being moved does not mean a new farm or a new lease in that area is being put in place. Activists commonly use these types of misleading statements which are misrepresentations of the facts.

maybe you could tell us what it does or might mean Birdsnest. Is it possible that they are increasing the size of an existing farm? Increasing the size to increase production? Or is it possible it could mean a new farm or a new lease in that area is being put in place?
This is what forums are for... a place where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. To interact and ask or answer questions or give opinions, etc, etc.... My opinion is that it certainly doesn't look to me like they are moving to closed containment on land. it doesn't seem like DFO is operating under the precautionary principal to me. or having any regard for the Cohen comission.

this is what pisses me off...
"The government and industry would like to see BC farmed salmon production double within the next 10 years — that means twice the toll on our oceans, wild fish and coastal livelihoods."

As long as government and industry continue to go down this road I'll voice my opinion against it. just as you'll voice yours. right now we still (although losing ground every day) have a viable sportfishing industry in regard to salmon. I'd like to see it continue for future generations.
I'd also like future generations to be able to enjoy forums about fishing such as this one. without a viable sportsfishing industry and healthy wild salmon population and ecosystem it also might not exist as we know it now....

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/

What is Salmon Farming?
Salmon aquaculture (farming) is the industrial production of salmon from egg to market in a net-cage, pond or contained system. Most of the industry still uses open net-cages in the ocean, and these floating feedlots hold up to a million fish in an area the size of two football fields.

In BC, the open net-cages are generally sited in sheltered bays along the coast in close proximity to wild salmon streams and rivers.

Salmon Farm Facts

• A salmon farm is likely to hold 500,000 to 750,000 fish in an area the size of four football fields.
  • The biomass of farmed salmon at one farm site can equal 480 Indian bull elephants – that is 2,400 tonnes of eating, excreting livestock.
  • Salmon are carnivores. On average it takes two to five kilograms of wild fish (used in feed) to produce one kilogram of farmed salmon.
  • In one study, over a billion sea lice eggs were produced by just twelve farms in a two week period. preceding the out-migration of wild juvenile salmon.1
  • Infection with one to three sea lice can kill a wild juvenile pink salmon.2
  • In British Columbia alone there are approximately 136 salmon farm licenses with over 85 farms active at any given time.
  • Canada and Chile are the two primary sources of farmed salmon for American consumers.3
  • Two-thirds of the salmon consumed by Americans is farm-raised.3
  • The government and industry would like to see BC farmed salmon production double within the next 10 years — that means twice the toll on our oceans, wild fish and coastal livelihoods.
Learn more about the history of salmon farming in BC, the environmental, economic, and human health impacts of commercial-scale salmon farming. Find out how salmon farms affect First Nations communities and about CAAR’s solutions.

References
1 Orr, C. (2007). Estimated sea louse egg production from Marine Harvest Canada farmed Atlantic salmon in the Broughton Archipelago, British Columbia, 2003-2004. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 27:187-197.

2 Morton, A. and R. D. Routledge (2005). Mortality rates for Juvenile Pink Oncorhynchus gorbushca and Chum O. keta salmon infested with Sea Lice Lepeophtheirus salmonis in the Broughton Archipelago. The Alaska Fisheries Research Bulletin. 11(2): 146-152

3 The Great Salmon Run (2007). World Wildlife Fund US.

If you care about the wild salmon in BC and other area's of the world,
Please sign the petition at the first page of this thread.
only a few days left... (closes july 27th)

Last edited:
http://vancouversun.com/business/lo...on-farming-concerns-over-diseases-on-bc-coast

Snippet from the full article above:

"In 2013, the Pacific Salmon Foundation, Genome B.C. and the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans launched a major research project to investigate the high mortality rate of juvenile salmon during early ocean migration, including the effect from salmon farms.

“There really hasn’t been strong, credible science out there to answer that question: What is the impact, and what kind of pathogens do we need to worry about in terms of transmission potential for aquaculture and wild fish,” said Kristi Miller-Saunders, head of the molecular genetics research program in the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

After spending the first phase of the project collecting 26,000 samples from wild, hatchery and farmed salmon, the research program has began testing the samples for 45 different microbes that are known to or could potentially cause diseases in salmon.

Scientists are using a novel technique that allows 96 samples to be tested for all 45 microbes at the same time, vastly speeding up the process and allowing many more samples to be processed.

The testing is still expected to take three years.

Already, the testing has led to the discovery of HSMI at Norway-based Cermaq’s Venture Point salmon farm, although a definitive link to PRV has not been established in research in British Columbia.

The search for answers is complicated by general scientific consensus — and a conclusion of the 2012 inquiry led by Justice Bruce Cohen into declines of Fraser River sockeye — that there are likely multiple stressors affecting salmon in rivers and the ocean, including warming waters from climate change."

Bigdogeh asked Birdsnest a couple weeks ago; "maybe you could tell us what it does or might mean Birdsnest. Is it possible that they are increasing the size of an existing farm? Increasing the size to increase production? Or is it possible it could mean a new farm or a new lease in that area is being put in place?" No reply from Birdsnest.
Here is a link to the provincial list of tenure applications for finfish aquaculture purposes;
http://www.arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPosting/viewpost.jsp?PostID=50636

Check out #'s 1411084 and 1411100, both applications are by Grieg for changes to existing farms in the Nootka area. No decisions yet so I'm a bit surprised they are already moving the equipment into place.

Back