Federal Court of Appeal quashes construction approvals for Trans Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird. I would have thought someone would have at least a half baked reason that joining the Paris accord was a good idea.

Vicious circle you Lefty/Greenies live in. You all pump each other up and it always ends in who can be the most hysterical.

Anyone who even questions the narrative is punished so you all just sit back and let it flow.
Or another way of understanding is to know that the pure definition of "green" has changed within the realm of your reality by allowing a more forward form of thinking amongst highly educated people. The shift is now. The past is finished. Get ready for change. It is real.

Keith Baldrey: Don’t celebrate just yet over Trans Mountain pipeline ruling
Keith Baldrey
The Federal Court of Appeal's move to quash the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion has stunned supporters. Keith Baldrey digs into what the ruling means for the future of the project.
Anti-pipeline activists may be doing handsprings over the high court ruling that quashed federal government approval of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project, but they may want to wait a while before popping any champagne corks.

In fact, they may never reach their ultimate goal of blocking that pipeline forever.

That is because there are only two federal political parties that have any hope of forming government in this country, and both are staunch supporters of the expansion project.

Whether it is the Liberals’ Justin Trudeau or the Conservatives’ Andrew Scheer running things, building that pipeline remains a priority for both of them. Both know that for all the theatrical protests against the project, the fact is more voters support it than oppose it, even in British Columbia.

READ MORE: Tories demand answers on Trans Mountain court ruling: ‘There is nothing as big as this’

The federal NDP is the only political party opposed to the pipeline, and it stands very little hope of forming government in Ottawa any time soon, at least before the pipeline is eventually built.

As well, a close read of the lengthy judgment by the Federal Court of Appeal shows the court actually provided a road map of sorts for the federal government to get the pipeline project back on the rails. It’s right there at the end – basically, advice on what to do next time to ensure a successful government approval that will be held up by the court.

Coverage of the Trans Mountain pipeline on GlobalNews.ca

‘I understand their frustration,’ Trudeau says of Albertans after Trans Mountain pipeline ruling
2018-09-05T18-05-38.667Z--1280x720.jpg

READ MORE: COMMENTARY: Don’t expect ICBC changes to make it easier on your wallet

In fact, much of the judgment is spent disposing of all kinds of arguments against the pipeline and actually sides with the federal government (through the National Energy Board) time after time. The tone is almost, “You’ve done a great job, NEB, on all kinds of issues but you fell short on just two of them.”

Of course, those two lapses – failing to consult meaningfully with First Nations and failing to include issues that arise from increased shipping tied to the project – are big ones, and will be tough to reconcile.

However, both of them can be resolved to meet the courts’ concerns, although it will clearly take some time.

READ MORE: Workers left in limbo as construction on Trans Mountain pipeline stops

The judgment showed that while the NEB set up a good consultation process, it allowed it to become simply a note-taking exercise with little two-way dialogue. Not good enough, said the court, and it called for the government to engage in “dialogue meaningfully and grapple with the real concerns of the Indigenous applicants so as to explore possible accommodation of those concerns.”

Surely, that test can be met, as it does not mean securing the support of every First Nations for the project. The government needs to simply show the court it made a genuine effort to deal with various concerns, and not simply compile a catalogue of them.

The shipping problem may be more problematic, but again it is a challenge that can likely be answered. The court is rightly concerned about any negative impact that increased tanker traffic could have on the resident orca whale population in the Salish Sea.

READ MORE: COMMENTARY: BC NDP leaves behind past internal baggage

However, technology continues to improve dealing with the problem of noise pollution (one of the chief threats to the orcas’ well-being). As well, because the NEB did not include shipping as part of the project, it did not spend as much time on the orca issue as it should have.

As chemist and blogger Blair King has pointed out, the pipeline project would add about 700 more tanker trips in an area that sees 23,000 ship movements a year (B.C. Ferries and container ships all ply those waters many more times than tankers coming out of Burrard Inlet).

In other words, tanker traffic alone is hardly the main threat to the orca population. So judging only the impact from tankers – and not the far more plentiful ferries and container ships – would seem suspect at best.

WATCH: Rachel Notley says she is focused on ‘one goal’ — building a pipeline

2018-09-06T21-32-43.133Z--1280x720.jpg

As well, in the next go-round, there will be more emphasis placed on the federal government’s ocean protection plan, which will no doubt be expanded in scope to impress the court.

Arguments like that one will no doubt be part of the NEB’s next re-assessment (and approval) of the pipeline, which may placate the court.

That should comfort whoever is running the federal government by then, which is a big reason those champagne corks may ultimately never be popped by the pipeline’s opponents.

Keith Baldrey is chief political reporter for Global BC. This is reprinted from his weekly column with Glacier Media.

That is pretty funny. I’ll give your side that, they have mastered the art of persuasion with humor, celebrity endorsement etc etc. Impressionable kids love it. There still lacks substance for the rest of us adults that are interested in the pure facts/data.

Chromeatose’s post is more akin to what I look for when forming an opinion.

You see, I have trouble taking modern climate “science” seriously as it’s tailored, so obviously (Paris), to a political agenda.

The old timer scientists adhered to scientific law, they tended much less to believe that conscensus meant right. They didn’t seem to be lured into the idea of conforming to be accepted and more importantly, get keep receiving funds.

There is PLENTY of reputable science out there that shows man either isn’t causing climate change or at the very least, it’s not settled science.

Trans Mountain vs. killer whales: the tradeoff Canadians need to be talking about
Can Canada build its new oil pipeline to the West Coast and meet its legal obligation to protect endangered species? Many biologists say no
Carol Linnitt
Sep 7, 2018
https://thenarwhal.ca/trans-mountai...-tradeoff-canadians-need-to-be-talking-about/

It’s funny how she only talks about tanker traffic but not the fact that, delta port, centerm, Van port, Surrey port are all getting major upgrades and expansions because of the increase in ship traffic in the comming years.

We’re at the point where just a few ship strikes on a few breading females would mean the end of this pod.

I did here an expert on the radio talk about this and that DFO may be obligated to reduce all ship traffic.

It’s interesting to hear Canadians in the NAFTA talks say we need to expand our markets to Asia for all products when in fact the increase in ship traffic would kill these SRKW.

What a mess the liberals have to deal with

I suspect the courts will have to decide if the government is obligated to save the whales or
Not. Are the whales constitutionally protected or not. Do laws or can laws be amended to allow for more ship traffic

Last edited:
Trans Mountain vs. killer whales: the tradeoff Canadians need to be talking about
Can Canada build its new oil pipeline to the West Coast and meet its legal obligation to protect endangered species? Many biologists say no
Carol Linnitt
Sep 7, 2018
https://thenarwhal.ca/trans-mountai...-tradeoff-canadians-need-to-be-talking-about/

However, technology continues to improve dealing with the problem of noise pollution (one of the chief threats to the orcas’ well-being). As well, because the NEB did not include shipping as part of the project, it did not spend as much time on the orca issue as it should have.

As chemist and blogger Blair King has pointed out, the pipeline project would add about 700 more tanker trips in an area that sees 23,000 ship movements a year (B.C. Ferries and container ships all ply those waters many more times than tankers coming out of Burrard Inlet).

In other words, tanker traffic alone is hardly the main threat to the orca population. So judging only the impact from tankers – and not the far more plentiful ferries and container ships – would seem suspect at best.

Over the next 15 years, container ship volumes through the Salish Sea coastal waters are predicted to increase by 300 percent. The number of bulk cargo vessels over that time will grow by 25 percent and cruise ship traffic is expected to increase by at least 20 percent9. One single project, the proposed Roberts Bank Terminal 2 container terminal, would provide an additional 2.4 million container units10 – for comparison, in 2011 Port Metro Vancouver moved 2.5 million container units.

http://ecoreserves.bc.ca/2013/11/05/kinder-morgan-and-tanker-traffic-in-the-salish-sea/

So I’m reading BBC news. The headline says “Mass evacuation from “Storm of a lifetime””.

I click on the article and as I read it turns out that they have actually downgraded it to Cat 3.

Why the hyperbole? I think I know why. But do you CLimate Doomsdayers see it?

Your intentions are good, no doubt about that. But your being played for fools.

So I’m reading BBC news. The headline says “Mass evacuation from “Storm of a lifetime””.

I click on the article and as I read it turns out that they have actually downgraded it to Cat 3.

At the time it was a category 4 hurricane. of which only 3 of that strength have ever been recorded to make landfall north of Georgia. Hazel 1954, Gracie 1959 and Hugo 1989, so calling it a storm of a lifetime was not a huge stretch. However I do agree one weather event in of itself (or lack of one) is not evidence of either global warming or a lack of it. There are mass evacuations going on, the largest for the region in history as the storm is expected to be very slow moving once it hits the coast. Harvey last year was the most costly hurricane in US history and was "only"a category 3 , and also stalled over land. Your minimization of it has not been shared by authorities in NC, SC and VA.

Last edited:

Here's the dumbed down version of the warning for you.
It's tremendously big and tremendously wet, tremendous amounts of water

Last edited:
I find it informative that the supporters of the deniers purposely confuse scale and timing like weather and climate. If they did that in the marine environment in a boat ... they'd put their lives and anyone else in the boat at risk. Unfortunately, we are all in the same boat. There is only 1 planet spaceship.

Looks like companies have given up on this pipeline ever happening.

Cenovus signs deal with CN Rail to ship more crude: source

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...-deal-with-cn-rail-to-ship-more-crude-source/

CN Railway moved 50 percent more crude in third-quarter to date: CFO

https://ca.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idCAKCN1LS31E-OCABS

CN crude volumes surge amid pipeline bottleneck

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...l-volumes-on-canadian-national-railway-surge/

Crude-by-rail exports set record in June, surpass 200,000 barrels per day

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/crude-by-rail-exports-up-1.4795429

Get ready for a 150% increase in Canadian crude by rail: analysts
Deborah Jaremko |
Sept. 5, 2018, 3:03 p.m. |
Share:

https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2018/9/get-ready-150-increase-canadian-crude-rail-analysts/

I love how people complain about the tanker traffic disrupting our whales but don’t seem to care about the whale watching boats chasing them around at ever single moment of their lives no that’s not disruptive ?or how we pipe 122million ltrs of raw sewage into their feeding grounds every day —-two wrongs don’t make a right but I don’t see any snowflakes throwing them selves on to that fire .No it’s raw raw pipelines are bad :/weather you like it or not some thing you used today probably needed a pipeline at some point (example)weather it’s the manufacturing of your clothing the precious metals in your computer the food you ate it came from oil ,so all you social justice warriors need to look your self in the mirror and say yes I’m part of the problem

Wildman i tried to get an answer from Raincoasts ultimate douche, Misty, about this same issue regarding the railroad, radio silence as usual, they will not engage anything other than donate here please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back