Favourite meal on the water

Something about a sandwich that always goes down well on the boat - salami or something like that.

Breton crackers with garlic coil and cheese is a solid stand-by, along with the previously mentioned Hawkins and pepperoni for sure.

I like to make good meals even when out on the boat. I think it adds a lot of good memories to my trips out and about on the water. From fresh prawns, crab, fish, clams, etc to steaks, burgers, hogie melts, etc.. Anything I can make on the boat stove top or on my portable charcoal grill if I'm going into a bay to moor overnight or for lunch/dinner. Washed down with some nice ice cold crisp beers of course!

View attachment 45517

View attachment 45518

View attachment 45519

View attachment 45520

View attachment 45521
View attachment 45522

View attachment 45523

View attachment 45524
Your like a food truck on water, has Guy’s fieri done an episode on your boat yet

Cheese and crackers, pepperoni, hawkins, sandwiches and chips rule the day on my boat. No cooking facilities on board.

Here's what happens when I fish from my boat. If I bring my portable bbq and plan out a shore lunch meal, either the weather goes for **** with wind and/or rain or the fishing is too good to slow down for lunch.

So finger food is my go-to on the water with a pub stop on the way home as needed.

I leave my culinary capers for home or the campground.

Your like a food truck on water, has Guy’s fieri done an episode on your boat yet
:D Usually also have some frosty local craft beers and aged whisky on board to go with the good grub :D

Chasin Dreams....you win, book me for july 15th!
Let's hope there will still be some good Spring numbers around when it opens back up! Sure are a lot of them around right now :confused:

I know this thread was started with fishing on the ocean in mind, but my favourite combined fishing and food experience takes me back to my roots and fresh shore lunches of Walleye or Pickerel. I grew up in a small town in Manitoba and I know there are plenty of ex-prairie guys on here who I am sure shared in a similar experience. Pan fried fresh fillets over an open fire with baked beans, foil packets of potatoes, onions and carrots and maybe a little coleslaw on the side is hard to beat. A few years ago, I got to reminiscing about Pickerel and Walleye with a buddy of mine who grew up in Winnipeg and drool started to run down our chins, so he set out to find someone who carried it or would deliver it to the west coast. Long story short, we ordered 40 lbs of Pickerel and threw one heck of a party, inviting anyone we knew that had a prairie connection! We did it again last year and the pics below are of a few pieces that were left over from the fish fry that I did up a couple days later. These were done the simple way with some flour, salt and pepper...no need to get too fancy with fish this good!

Brian

Pickerel (2).jpg

Pickerel (3).jpg

I know this thread was started with fishing on the ocean in mind, but my favourite combined fishing and food experience takes me back to my roots and fresh shore lunches of Walleye or Pickerel. I grew up in a small town in Manitoba and I know there are plenty of ex-prairie guys on here who I am sure shared in a similar experience. Pan fried fresh fillets over an open fire with baked beans, foil packets of potatoes, onions and carrots and maybe a little coleslaw on the side is hard to beat. A few years ago, I got to reminiscing about Pickerel and Walleye with a buddy of mine who grew up in Winnipeg and drool started to run down our chins, so he set out to find someone who carried it or would deliver it to the west coast. Long story short, we ordered 40 lbs of Pickerel and threw one heck of a party, inviting anyone we knew that had a prairie connection! We did it again last year and the pics below are of a few pieces that were left over from the fish fry that I did up a couple days later. These were done the simple way with some flour, salt and pepper...no need to get too fancy with fish this good!

Brian

Many a fond memory of those meals in Northern MB and Northwest ON. :cool:

May be joining my Dad this summer up on the east side of Lake Winnipeg at a fly in pickerel heavy lake.

Brian

View attachment 45580

View attachment 45581

Lol,, I think you boys all know you don’t have to sell me on this. I’ve stated it on here many times, walleye is hands down the best eating fish there is. I’ve had variations of this meal many, many times. It’s a way of life out here and a main stay of our culture in theses parts.

Good stuff

Friend of mine from out here spent a few years guiding in Manitoba for Pike and Walleye. He said the same thing; shore lunch of Walleye is his all time favorite battered simply and fried in lard. Would love to try it sometime. My favorite out here is Ling but Tuna and Salmon aren't far behind.

Brian

View attachment 45580

View attachment 45581
Fishing with my aunt and uncle in northern ontario as a wee boy i swear pickerel was the best fish i have ever had in a shore lunch .. those pictures bring it all back.. damn good fish!!

Fishing with my aunt and uncle in northern ontario as a wee boy i swear pickerel was the best fish i have ever had in a shore lunch .. those pictures bring it all back.. damn good fish!!
WITHOUT A DOUBT ! (PS since salmon shut down here just gearing up to go get me some SASK pickerel, two weeks a Bros. cottage on the water Whohooooo (really called Walleye but I knew what you were referring too) lol ) ...... Great looking burger, u wanna come out and cook us a few, we got fresh Moose lol

I used to love the shore lunches cooked lakeside.
Fishing with my great Uncle Jewel on Beaver Lake near Flin Flon Manitoba. Fished with his good Friend Bobby Clark the year the Flyers took him.
I can still say i fished with one of the best players of his tome then......but also one of the dirtiest hackers out there.

Pickeral aka Walleyes are amazig to eat.

Your Jack fish or Pike although many flatlanders claim are awesome fighters........ We took our 11 ft moochers for them expecting much much more.......no they dont compare to a spring if each were say 20 lb range. But fun and you could catch them on any thing you used.

Good times. My biggest Wally 8.5 my biggest pike near 20 lbs.

K last statement off topic lol.

But just to clear the air in case there are some on here that aren’t aware or aren’t sure what everyone is taking about. The fish we are talking about are walleye, pickerel is a slang word used for them and it’s still quite popular in Sask and Man to call them that but very few in Alberta do anymore. Pickerel are in fact a completely different fish they are in fact part of the pike family and there are no Pickerel west of Man. Even at that there are very few in Manitoba. I guess some of the south eastern streams have them but I have yet to see anyone catch one.

My last statement too...Correct that Walleye have been mistakenly called Pickerel in Western Canada but the fillets we had flown in from the east were indeed Pickerel. Here are a couple of photos to show @walleyes point about Pickerel being part of the Pike family. Now back to great food pics!

Walleye

Walleye.jpg

Pickerel

Pickerel 1.jpg

Back