Favourite Friends and Family Trips

SFBC

Admin
Staff member
Over the years I have been fortunate to be part of a few fantastic fishing adventures with good friends and family. My older brother started organizing these trips with our first ocean version at the original Painters Lodge in Campbell River in 1983. Over the years we have done small versions of 10 or 12 people up to 24 on some of the larger get togethers. We have been to Nootka, Ukee, Tofino and Hakai Pass. We even went back to our old stomping grounds of Northern Manitoba at one point and some great fresh water spots in BC as well. Unfortunately, my brother passed suddenly in 2018 and, as it had been a few years since our last big trip, a number of people that had joined us before thought it would be a good idea for a reunion of sorts. So, a plan was put in place for 2020 but, of course Covid put a stop to that. Fast forward to today and we are finally on our way to make it happen. As I write this I am on a bus with 29 other enthusiastic fishing buddies heading to Zeballos then on to Port Eliza Lodge for 4 days of fishing, reconnecting and a whole lot of laughter. I will post about our trip here and invite you to share your most memorable friends and family trips from years gone by!

Brian

First day our group of four Okanaganites fished out of Winter Harbour. Guide says, "OK guys, first we are going out to the Highway to get springs. Then on the hook for hali as the tide changes, followed by ling fishing at this nearby rockpile I have my eye on. Finally, we'll stop by the lighthouse on the way home and see if the coho are in."

And so it came to pass. Limited out on all four species, in the exact order he laid out. Even now, we reverently refer to that first ever WH day as Dial-A-Fish.

A decade on, I'm getting together tonight with those same guys for a pre-trip meeting to plan food, vehicles, tackle, freezers etc for this year's WH expedition. Never had such an epic day as that since then, but we've come close.

The adventure continued on Friday. Had a great day of fishing with a cousin and my buddies Dad who is soon turning 83. Not only did he stick it out for the entire day, he managed to take a little money from me (again) by landing the biggest Chinook of the day on our boat! Days like these are what these trips are all about!
20210730_084610.jpg20210730_175306.jpg20210730_175215.jpg20210730_082813.jpg20210730_090700.jpg

That's a wrap! Sam's Salmon Spectacular came and went in a flash, as these trips always do, but what a fantastic adventure it was! More great memories for the bank, reconnecting with great friends and family, and spectacular fishing as well. The highlights were many for me but a couple stand out for sure. Fishing with my buddies Dad, who at 83 has been on a number of these trips and was a real champ out there, and having my oldest son along for the first time. He has been dreaming of coming on one of these adventures since he was a young boy; listening to me and his uncles tell stories about previous trips for years! A big thanks to Robert and his crew at @Port Eliza Fishing for the hospitality. The entire experience was great and everyone in the group truly enjoyed themselves! I will post up a report on the fishing in the Esperanza section but here are a few pics from the trip.
IMG_20210802_125012_219.jpgIMG_20210802_125012_240.jpg20210730_175215.jpg20210731_072817.jpgIMG_20210802_125012_199.jpgIMG_20210802_125012_282.jpg

Back