Favorite Smoked Salmon Brine Recipe

fishchaser

With all of the great Salmon fishing going on now I thought it might be nice to hear what some of your all-time favorite smoked salmon brine recipes are. If you have a favorite recipe please share.

K.I.S.S. method for me. Depending on your salty preference, 4 or 5 to 1: Demerera sugar to kosher salt and pack around salmon pieces. After a couple hours it turns to a brine and the world is your oyster on what to add after that. After drying and before smoking I like to add fresh cracked pepper over the pieces.

I agree, simpler is better. I use:

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup demerera sugar

Soak overnight.

The salt is used to draw the moisture from the fish. I question why the water? Rub the salt and suger dry mixture on the fish and experiment how long you wish it to brine. The longer you leave it to brine the drier and saltier it will be. You can also vary your sugar and salt proportions to suit your taste. Rinse the fish and pat dry before putting in smoker.

After 2-4 hours of smoking, you can sprinkle garlic, pepper, baste with honey or do what ever you wish. After 2-4 hours of smoking you are just cooking the fish.

I like to 6 cups dark brown sugar to 1 cup course salt (makes it less salty and I find people like it more). I don't use water as it is not needed. Brine for at least 24 hours - 36 hrs. if the pieces are 3-4 inches or more. Then rinse it off, pat it dry and dry for 2 hours under a fan to get the pellicle.

Now you can add other things on it like ginger, garlic, onion, pepper, maple, bourbon - whatever and then smoke it for 1-3 hours using alder or apple chips (hickory is too strong IMO) at 35-40 degrees if you like it moist, 50+ degrees if you like it dry or cooked through. Or you can add your flavorings after it is smoked - experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many great ways, they all work. Just have to experiment and adjust to what your preference is.

I use 3 quarts water, 1 cup of coarse salt and 1 cup of Demerara sugar. Then I make a maple syrup glaze for the final touch. Coarsely ground black pepper on top is good too.
This topic has been hashed out here many times. LOL

I use sugar/salt, usually about 3/4 cup
Of salt to a bag of Demerara. I've tried
The water/salt/sugar, thought it was
Gross, and I've tried another liquid brine
With maple syrup, honey, sugar, corn syrup,
Thought that was gross to. Now I just
Stick to the basics and sometimes add
A few extra ingrediants once the liquid
Has been drawn out of the fish.

5 to 1, brown sugar to salt, cover the fish in a plastic tub with a lid. .Get a slurry and add what you like.

After the fish is dried and ready for the smoker, you can add a topping. I like grated orange rind mixed with pure maple syrup, or chilly pepper flakes and cracked black and white pepper.

Smoke and enjoy!! I just did a batch this past weekend.

Cheers

SS

fishchaser, if you use a Bradley, look up my post from last year.
It is step-by-step and works every time.

Thank you everyone for your favorite brine recipes. I have always used a wet brine however I will be using a dry brine this weekend for a batch of Sockey.

I find that a wet brine give a more uniform salt distribution. The tail section is definitetly thinner that the front portion of the filet and can be saltier than the rest of the fish. I mostly use a wet brine when hot smoking and a dry cure (but I sprinkle sparringly on the tail section) for cold smoked salmon.

I think a very important part for a good smoked fish is a rincing off the salt and a good drying (12 hrs in the fridge), till the flesh is glossy and sticky prior to smoking.

E

Copper Moon-I've used that recipe many times with good success. It produces a nice, slightly moist cold smoke product.
T2

Copper Moon-I've used that recipe many times with good success. It produces a nice, slightly moist cold smoke product.
T2

Agreed. I also use process my tuna with the salmon to create the bacon of the sea. Now starting to use it for a hot smoked salmon version too.

Back