Favorite mooching/downrigger rod for salmon?

... Babcock was one the designer of the Titan line of rods...So they are more less a Sage rod....Less of course the sticker price as fishin_magician has said..... :)

... Babcock was one the designer of the Titan line of rods...So they are more less a Sage rod....Less of course the sticker price as fishin_magician has said..... :)

No problem, i just read earier on in this thread about a trophy xl rod snapping,i thought it over and im keeping it, was worried it might not have enough backbone for big salmon but i think it is a pretty sweet set-up paired with my Islander Mr3IMG_3491.jpgIMG_3492.jpg

Excellent Setup

No problem, i just read earier on in this thread about a trophy xl rod snapping,i thought it over and im keeping it, was worried it might not have enough backbone for big salmon but i think it is a pretty sweet set-up paired with my Islander Mr3View attachment 9642View attachment 9643

Excellent Setup. You will enjoy immensely! Lots of power and great action. Wrestle big Chinooks all day long!

This one is only 9' and was made in korea?.. it probably just sit on the shelf till spring as i will be heading to a Cenovus project in Northern Alberta, 30 on 10 off. we will be punching wells till the great caribou migration starts.., I have never fished for winter springs maybe try on my days off if i can convince one of friends with a more winter friendly boat..:p

No worrys, hopefully it stands up to some abuse, i am still unsure of a 10'6" rod as i have always used 9' downrigger rods and it seemed like a more comfortable choice for netting fish by myself in my 16.5 foot boat.:)

Nice choice on the rod big or small it should handle them all, looks good with that blue reel seat. I know people have a hard time parting with $600 for a rod but hey the blank is rolled down the street in washington and then hand built in cananda, No wonder it is twice the price. Between my dads and I we have 8 of the older sage factory units and the only problem was the reel seat spun on 2 of them. Sage took care of that and yes they did take a little longer than 2 weeks but whatever I have backups. They differ from the loomis as they have more of a parabolic action. This slower action handles the strain of the rigger but they still have enough power in the butt section to get the job done when you need to lean on a hog. I find the loomis rods to have a very soft tip that quickly tapers into a very stout butt section which just doesnt work as well for me in the rigger. I fished the 4110 sages at the outpost for 3 seasons and never broke one even while pushing these rods hard. Key point with extending the life of a graphite rod..........................DON'T HIGH STICK IT!!!!!!.

Thanks, this rod i purchased from Chandler is a titan trophy xl, couldn't see myself parting with 600 for a rod, that would make a 1200 dollar rod/reel in a 1000 dollar boat , as far as high sticking is that when someone pulls the rod outta the holder and reefs it for the sky ? i always laugh when i see people do that , from my expierience the speed of the troll and resistance on the clip and the spring smashing it should set the hook no? thats also why i like to have the rod loaded in the downrigger as much as possible, correct me if im wrong please, never had any 50 lbers in my boat this year lol..

Nice choice on the rod big or small it should handle them all, looks good with that blue reel seat. I know people have a hard time parting with $600 for a rod but hey the blank is rolled down the street in washington and then hand built in cananda, No wonder it is twice the price. Between my dads and I we have 8 of the older sage factory units and the only problem was the reel seat spun on 2 of them. Sage took care of that and yes they did take a little longer than 2 weeks but whatever I have backups. They differ from the loomis as they have more of a parabolic action. This slower action handles the strain of the rigger but they still have enough power in the butt section to get the job done when you need to lean on a hog. I find the loomis rods to have a very soft tip that quickly tapers into a very stout butt section which just doesnt work as well for me in the rigger. I fished the 4110 sages at the outpost for 3 seasons and never broke one even while pushing these rods hard. Key point with extending the life of a graphite rod..........................DON'T HIGH STICK IT!!!!!!.

ahhh man ...I feed my family on the high stickers... ;) :)

You always want the angle between the line going into the water and the cork butt of your rod to exceed 90 degrees when you are fighting a fish or trolling with it in the down rigger. If you curl the rod back on its self you will go beyond the capabilited of the high end graphite and this could cause the rod to fail. When you set the hook reel down tight and then lift up don't just grab the rod from the holder and reef it up and back behind your head. This will go a long way in keeping your rod out of the shop when it should be fishing.

HighStick.gif

I've heard a number of complaints about Fenwick HMX.
For what it's worth i fought 3 seals on Sunday and the last one was
a half hour battle.
I was concerned the rod would snap as it was almost bent in half.
Not a problem, still going strong. :)

I don't know....The majority of the rod failures I have heard from those trophy titans is merely pulling up on the clip to break it off... Something every rod should do . Like I said it could have been a batch of bad rods. All I know is the regular trophy XL's are very strong.... I am still not sure on the titans as they moved far away from old design to start competing with the thinner loomis etc.... And those failures were primarily the 10-6 haven't heard anything on the smaller one. I love my trophys, but have tried them I may move to these for winter fish as they are lighter... For summer I like the regular ones myself.

If its the rigger rod version of the rod....there may have been a bad batch .... (they have been very good regarding warrenty)....like all thing sometimes there is a problem...personal having fished all 3 of the 101/2 ft version.. I have been happy with the performance of the rods... as most things I usually beat on them a bit or get some mean fishermen to beat on them for me ;) ... before I would recommend them...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard a number of complaints about Fenwick HMX.
For what it's worth i fought 3 seals on Sunday and the last one was
a half hour battle.
I was concerned the rod would snap as it was almost bent in half.
Not a problem, still going strong. :)

Hey Scott who won

Back