Favorite Hook for Big Tomic Plugs

Slabby20

What's your favorite hook and size for your 7" Tomic plugs? I've been using the 9510xxx and running a 9/0 or 10/0. Also, I saw these on a web site and order a few to experiment with. They are Matzuo 10/0 Trophy Kats. What do you think? They aren't stainless and will take a more care to keep them from rusting etc. They have the same gap size as the 10/0 Mustad's but a longer shank which I like the looks of. (and yes, I'll pinch the barb before using them)

P1010976.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tubber,

The 9510 has a straight point and the 95170 you show has the bent point. I've always wondered which is better and what are the advantages / disadvantages of the bent point or straight point.

Slabby20 those are the hooks I use that tubber posted on my big 6" tubbies and 7" classics. On my 5" tubby I use a 7/0.

The 95170 will stick in the jaw better than the 9510. The beak part of the 95170 is thinner and you can get it sharp. You do have to spend some time on those hooks as the are S/S but once you get them sharp they stay that way.

On my 6 inch Tomic spoons I use the 9/0 hooks when I'm fishing deep on the Highway as the hook always gets set inside and around the jaw and does not come out. Other than that the 7/0 works best as it gives the spoon the most action.

I've been told that the 95170 is no longer being produced by Mustad and once current stocks are gone that's it.

images

Back