Favorite Halibut Trolling Set Up

I've never really trolled for halibut - I presume that you want to pick your area carefully. Can you get away with 12lb balls, or do need 15's or 20's? Do you use your hali rods, or is salmon gear (30 lb test) ok?

Thanks,

I've never really trolled for halibut - I presume that you want to pick your area carefully. Can you get away with 12lb balls, or do need 15's or 20's? Do you use your hali rods, or is salmon gear (30 lb test) ok?

Thanks,

Yes picking the area counts-less headaches. I try to stay in 200 ft of water or less and also where there is not too much structure-close is ok but you don't want an instant rise of 30 ft in depth-you may hang up. Sand gravel bottom is nice-rocky is not. This is a question of finding Hali's in a down rigger friendly place. You can fish deeper but it is harder to control the depth of the lure or bait. I use a light hali set-up with 60 lb braid-amazing the number of springs you take doing this! I don't use salmon gear if I am really trying for hali's but I get them on salmon gear unintentionally lots of other times. I'm sure there are lots of different options and ideas on here. Give it a go but have a few extra balls with you. You can use 12s but I prefer 20's for the control and less blow back

OK, OK. Here is the million dollar question .....
Anchor or Trolling , which method is more productive ???????

I am a troller but I think personally that anchoring is more productive and my feeling is that it not only produces more fish but bigger fish. On the pick I think you put in more time, the gear is more specialized and you have to like sitting and being wave tossed. I don't care to do that-I fish halibut just for enough time to get what I need-then I fish salmon-preference of mine!

I'm a Anchoring guy too but often thought maybe I am missing the boat (or should I say Hal, lol) by sitting on the anchor and not covering more ground by trolling. Glad to see that Spring feels the same as me, Whew was worried !!! lol But I kinda like sitting there having a coffee while being rocked by the slow swell lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to anchor having done it more now ........ I like to try to hit both sides of a change by 2 to 3 hours ..... I also think there is something to say about that constant scent trail from bait relatively in the same spot as you slowly swing about while your on the hook

I'm all for anchoring as well. Only do it a couple times per year to get what I need but it's very productive. Gotta definitely pick your weather though. Got all our fish we needed in three days of anchoring last year with 2 fish over 50 lbs.

We've drifted for halibut a few times and always caught something. We anchored with someone once and never had a sniff. In all fairness it was just days after a 1st nations food fishery. I saw the tails and carcasses. They certainly did better than us. I built these to troll for ling cod but I'll also try them out for halibut. They measure about a foot long and the SS parts have foam inserts to hold some kind of scent.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back