Family & Coastal Fishing 16ft Boat Reccos

Ya for Ocean fishing and resale I would go with the ^^^ as they hold better value and are a better option if you can find one in your budget.
Yes, we are now sold on an Arima, but they go within hours at the moment. Fingers crossed one comes up!

Those are tough limitations - 16' slip and 5 people. Those kids will be wanting more space all the time. Are you really stuck with the 16' slip, because that seems like an unnecessary restriction. Could it be on a trailer? Could you trade up to a bigger slip?

Any 16 with a closed bow is going to be tough accommodating 5. A cuddy like the Arima might work but Double Eagles, Hourstons etc are going to be cramped for seating. A more open design will give you more flexible space but you will be more vulnerable to weather...its the usual game of tradeoffs!
Totally agree, we have definitely prioritized getting a slip over size in a goal to make it easier with the kids. We have our name down for a bigger slip which will take 2 years to get, so when one comes up we can upgrade.

Arima all day!! Cult like following will keep its value up should you decide to upgrade.
Biggest , little boat out there...
We are sold on an Arima, but they are being sold within hours at the moment - eek. Hopefully one comes up that works!

Weird, his listing has been taken down. If you have the details let me know! We are going to see one this afternoon, but it is over price for sure.
I clicked on Grumps posting just above yours and the ad popped up.
I messaged him and he got right back.
I'd be heading to Parksville pronto with cash if I were you.... lol!

I clicked on Grumps posting just above yours and the ad popped up.
I messaged him and he got right back.
I'd be heading to Parksville pronto with cash if I were you.... lol!
This I figured this out, is it this boat? If so, my husband is on a ferry to see this boat right now, will put a deposit down if it works out. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the support folks! Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 12.09.50 PM.png

This I figured this out, is it this boat? If so, my husband is on a ferry to see this boat right now, will put a deposit down if it works out. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the support folks! View attachment 92078
Yes, that's it.
Its definitely in the ballpark price wise from what's available on Boat Trader down south. Plus, it's here! Hope it looks as good up close!
Good luck!!

Update from us, we saw the boat in Parksville, nice boat BUT we spoke with our marina and we cannot go over 18ft with the engine up and this one measured 19ft 4inches (sign). So we have to go for a 16ft Arima.

We have seen a perfect 16ft Arima in WA, but the guy is hesitant to help with any paper work to cross the border as he has so much interest. Any tips on buying in the US? Does anyone have a definitive list of documents, so far we have:
  • Certificate of Title: As well as the Certificate of Title for both the trailer and boat.
  • Bill of Sale: We also need a Bill of Sale that allocates the price between the trailer, boat, motor and accessories, and shows the serial numbers for boat, trailer and motor. It is easy to create with this form builder: https://legaltemplates.net/form/bill-of-sale/boat/
  • Notarized?: Do we need the Bill of Sale notarized?
  • Trailer Details: For insurance reasons we will need the VIN, make and model for the trailer ahead of us coming down, if that would be possible.
Let me know your experiences.

You could use a broker for a price, of course, if you don't want to do it, or maybe to give the seller some confidence that a broker is handling it.

You could use a broker for a price, of course, if you don't want to do it, or maybe to give the seller some confidence that a broker is handling it.
Great thought, I reached out to a few but I could not tell if it would limit the sellers input. I will chat more with them. If anyone knows a good broker let me know.

I have bought 2 Arimas in US. No big deal. Your list is good. The certificates of title ensure no liens on either trailer or boat. The trailer has to have legible decal with VIN. Check RIV for details of trailer import. https://www.riv.ca/BeforeYouImport.aspx
As you noted you need ICBC binder of insurance before you go with trailer details. The trailer also must be licenced either owner has a current plate on it or you can get temporary licence https://apps.oria.wa.gov/permithandbook/permitdetail/186
You would need to use the Pacific truck crossing border station. Border will collect Taxes on boat.

Back