F350 Yamaha

Thunder21

Anybody running one? I've read some mixed reviews on them. Some guys are getting 5000 hours and the next guy is getting 200. I'm aware they need a flywheel replacement every so often and I'm not really concerned about that. Looking for some reviews. Thanks.

The C series has been good. Can't speak to the D series yet.

A and B have been problematic for quite a few people.

Here is a 2013 with 250 hours and a new block for $16k;

http://www.portboathouse.com/pbh_products/yamaha-f350/

Read about them on www.thehulltruth.com Lots of info there, but also lots of fanboys and haters. From what I understand these days Yamaha uses letters to denote the version like BCI says. The year isn't really a factor in determining the version of the engine with Yamaha.

run away. flywheel every 600hrs... and if it goes it can be catastrophic.

Haven't heard any positive just the same issues already mentioned. I know one that had the flywheel damper go caught fire as a result.

Do you guys own a 350??? Always interesting to hear from a current owner. I heard all the same **** about my 2003 F225 years ago. I ignored it all. It still runs perfect. Yamahammers are good engines.

Do you guys own a 350??? Always interesting to hear from a current owner. I heard all the same **** about my 2003 F225 years ago. I ignored it all. It still runs perfect. Yamahammers are good engines.

nope never, lol .,, got hired at a lodge tho because they ran 2 of them. same problems as described above.

That vintage of F225 had known issues related to corrosion in warm humid climates. Not surprised you haven't had issues up here. The F350s issues are not climate specific. And no, I don't own one and haven't operated one...but never heard of one running reliably past around 800 hours.

F225s have had issues in all climates......including the f200 and f250.....seem all of them corroded after less than 1000 hours.
DO NOT BUY A F350.....buddy I used to fish with had 3 of them on his grady, all power heads were repalced sub 300 hours. Another friend has been though 2 power heads. JUST DON'T DO IT!!!! Flywheel replacment every 80 hours in the 3400-4400 rpm range.....pain in the butt. When they are running they are great but they like to go BANG!!!! LOTS.....

Maybe the F425 will be better.......

Off main subject,but there are lots of F225 Yamaha's that never have any corrosion problem's up here. I've owned a couple of them,great reliable motors. As "ryanb" say's it's much more of an issue in southern states.When I bought my first one I asked Sherwood Marine how many they had repaired because I had heard of the exhaust corrosion problem.They told me they had done "1" and it was a Mercury (built by Yamaha at the time).

Last edited:
Temperature is a factor with saltwater corrosion for sure and is the reason why outboard thermostats are 60C and not 100C like automotive applications. The manufacturers know the engines would run better at 100C but it would result in more salt related problems.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a bit bigger Skagit Orca then I have now---the 27 XLC. There was a guy up in Prince George who was selling the 27 XLC powered with an F350 ---I had my heart set on a Suzuki DF350 for my next boat but I thought I'd research the F350 as his had low hours

He has the newer "improved" model--- what's the improvement, you ask? It has an ECU counter that tells you how many hours you've run in the RPM band that promotes the harmonic vibration that shatters flywheels

So no fix to the flywheel problem---just an ECU counter that warns you when you've spent too much time in the wrong RPM band that will detonate your flywheel....unfortunately, that RPM band is precisely where I like to run my outboards (3,700 to 4,100 or somewhere close to those numbers)

It reminded me of the FICHT 150 I used to run---I was warned by a mechanic I would have big issues if I ran it at idle speed too long---wtf?

I called a local shop that sells piles of Yamaha and Hondas and Suzukis to charter boat operators in Alaska. I asked what they would give me as trade-in for a low hour F350 (thinking I'd trade it in against a Suzuki DF350

The guy said he wouldn't give me anything for the F350---he mentioned his distributorship had 100% failure rate for every F350 they'd sent to Alaska.

That comment sobered me up and I ran for the exit on that F350

Yes, some guys have had good success and zero issues---I noticed the ones that rave about the F350 all run them at WOT

That ain't me, not for the type of boating I do

Then I heard anecdotal hearsay of a guy that runs his F350 back and forth from Florida to the Bahamas. No issues with the motor, quoth he, except for those pesky detonating flywheels. He carries spares in his boat and changes them out enroute.

To quote a former mechanic I once had (just prior to a nervous break-down he had after dealing with pissed off owners who were having major issues with their Evinrude FICHT 150's and 175's.....)

..."Outboard ownership shouldn't have to be like that....."

Last edited:
I owned one.
It sucked.
Don't buy one.

Back