ez steer or similar

C

chromechaser

Was looking at getting an ez steer system for an outboard to outboard configuration. Was quoted a price of 384 plus taxes at Steveston Marine. Anybody use any other systems that may be somewhat more economical or know of a more economical place to purchase from?

Paul you do not need an Easy Steer. You need a link bar, I'd send you a picture of mine but I cannot until later in the week. Call Port Boathouse I'm sure they can set you up for about $100 for a Front Link Bar and attachments.

Here is what mine looks like a bit of fab. and adjusting and it works I dont even have to take it off pretty simple to find holes for nuts amd bolts and building a bracket out of alum Good luck

halibut2007040.jpg

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

It's the fabricating part that scares me. Wolf, is that just a solid bar bolted to the motor plates? I'm in the Vancouver area so Port Boathouse is a little out of the way although I will be over there this weekend but coming through Port Alberni Friday evening and staying in Ucluelet. I could always run back into PA on Saturday afternoon. I'll call around to a few of the dealer/shops here in town and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice guys.

Port Boathouse has sold a number of Campion 542's, so my guess is they have all the parts you would need in stock. They get the fabricated parts pre-made for their installations I beleive. I'm sure any other Campion dealer may as well. Without seeing my boat, I beleive it is a ball on the main arm, the link bar, and then a plate and ball that goes on the kicker. Fairly simple installation and way more convenient from inside the boat than the Easy Steer which attaches with clamps at the back and cannot be accessed when you are in the water.

Thanks seawolf. I called galeon marine in Richmond and one guy said they had something and passed me on to another guy who tried to sell me an ez steer system because the teleflex system doesn't allow the main motor to turn all the way. I tried to explain to him that I wanted an inside mounting system and that I could leave it detached until I started trolling, but he was intent on the ez steer. I'll keep trying.

Thats all it is and on the kicker we just put the piece into the vise and bent it to what we wanted really not that hard just fidding and making sure it all works. patience is key as you want all the factors to work.clearences turning etc

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Hey Wolf, are you able to lift the big motor without having to undo the Ezee Steer rod? I have a similiar set up that was on the boat when I bought it and I have to connect and disconnect the damn rod every time I change locations..... and I don't have to tell you that it can be a bit scary when we are offshore in big swells and I have to lean over the back of the boat to hook up the bar........ maybe I need to get it set up a little differently. Thanks Wolf, SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Nope I can lift my little motor no problem and run to ever I want and without reconnecting its on a CMC bracket so Its hydrolic as well no bending over to lift or anything works great the trick is to move out the kicker bracket far enough so it wont hit the handle.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thanks Wolf, I will take a second look at mine. Due to the proximity of the two motors or again maybe the rod was too long to start with, I have an S kinda shape on my rod....... wonder if this is impeding anything. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

The one that Seawolf posted from west marine looks like it will do the trick. Problem is I have to wait for them to order one from back east or I have to order direct from California. The nice thing about this one is that it uses ball joints for a bit more fitting flexibility and you can cut the rod to fit so you don't have to bend the bar.

Port Boathouse says thay have one but that their attachments are for yamaha motors and I may need to customize the attachment to the main motor as it is an etec. If I don't find something before then, I'll stop in there on my way back through PA on Monday and see what they have and if it can be adapted for my etec.

Although I have never done it, some guys I think like Cubra Libre point the Kicker straight ahead and steer via the Main. I would guess the steering response is a little slower but what the heck you are fishing, worse case crank up the main if you need a tight turn. I may be in Barclay over the first half of the weekend, call Seawolf I monitor 6 if I can meet up with you you can see my set up on the 542. The Ball Joints are the ticket easy on and off especially on our boats, on Stripers boat it's a long F'n reach.

I installed the type of connector which Wolf mentioned in his note and it works perfectly. Thanks Roy for rigging this for me.

A couple of years ago when I changed kickers the rod that I used with the old kicker was to short for the new kicker. Purchased a length of stainless steel rod from Steveston Marine and threaded both ends and bent it the right shape and it works good.

Back