Expected Compression for a 1992 Johnson 120 after rebuild?

Drewski Canuck

Bought a rebuilt Johnson 120, 1992, which apparently has been rebored and new aftermarket pistons. Compression test cold, with all other plugs pulled, was 142 - 145 range across all 4 cylinders. I am told the motor had 10 hours on it after the rebuild, so it would seem to be broken in.

Is that about what to expect? i had never seen a compression test with all other plugs pulled, and done cold. I always thought you want a warm up to get the best comparison to operating conditions.

Drewski

Sounds better than average for that motor, anything above 120 per cylinder
is good, with all being even the best.

My information tells me that way gives the most accurate compression test. Some older two stroke racing motors had to be cranked over at a specified rpm to give a good number tho I have not seen that for outboard motors.
My thought really tell me that it is just easier to crank over.

Bought a rebuilt Johnson 120, 1992, which apparently has been rebored and new aftermarket pistons. Compression test cold, with all other plugs pulled, was 142 - 145 range across all 4 cylinders. I am told the motor had 10 hours on it after the rebuild, so it would seem to be broken in.

Is that about what to expect? i had never seen a compression test with all other plugs pulled, and done cold. I always thought you want a warm up to get the best comparison to operating conditions.

Drewski

Drewski

That's a good result. Compression usually starts around 125psi on those after a rebuild and gradually builds up to 135-140 as the new rings become seated.

Remember to use double the oil mix 25:1 for the first 20 hours and then switch back to 50:1. Also the head bolts should be re-torqued and another compression check done at the 20 hour mark.

Note, if the oil injection system is working then the fuel should be 50:1 for the first 20 hours. 25:1 if the oil injection has been disabled.

When checking compression, the main thing to look for is differences between cylinders. For example, if one cyl. tests at 120psi, and another tests at 105, then you probably have a problem. THe rule of thumb is no more than 10psi difference between cylinders.

Back