Evinrude E-tec 130 hp

Ok , just talked to a mechanic at Lordship. Apparently the problem the other fellow had with his E-tec 90 was his fuel injector. It is the second one in two weeks the guy needed replacing. Apparently the fellow had water in his old fuel tank and apparently water does a number on these fuel injectors......basically the injectors are very sensitive to water and will break if too much water runs through em....other than this issue and having to keep water out of the fuel and changing water/fuel filter regularily the e tecs are apparently very good.
On the flip side once thye water was removed from all the lines and carb in my 97 johnson , no problem, it runs fine , no issues with the carb.

E-Tec rules. I purchased my 90hp from Parker Marine Courtenay in the spring of 2007. It's run flawless. The extra expense in oil(I run synthetic)is saved in fuel and maintenance. At 100:1 it does'nt consume all that much. Like GLG say's there is a lot to be said about having a good relation with the dealer too, especially when you need him in the future for maintenance and repairs. I sure that is much more for guy's running 4 strokes.[:0] Good luck!

I repowered with a 2009 90 e-tec. My main concern was the weight of a comparable 4 stroke on my old boat. A couple of lessons learned:

1. shop around. I found a difference of $2500 between various dealers. I found the cheapest at Little River Boat World on Shuswap Lake and they where cheaper than anything I could find in the US on the web.

2. I have to drive either 3 hours north or 3 hours south for servicing when it comes due. When I bought the motor, I assumed that any BRP shop could service it - wrong. It has to be an evinrude dealer and they are not that common in northern BC.

3. Can't find a matching kicker.

Gotta love the 5 year warranty, 3 years between maintenance, etec owners chatline, digital gauge package, etc

Mine idles just fine and I get lazy and don't bother with my 8hp Johnson kicker. I'm running the xd-50 and the oil use is negligble.

cheers'
G

I have a 17ft hourston. What type of performance are you getting . Is 90 hp enough or do you think I need a 115 hp.The 90 is 40 lbs lighter.Thanks willyd

quote:Originally posted by Gordo

I repowered with a 2009 90 e-tec. My main concern was the weight of a comparable 4 stroke on my old boat. A couple of lessons learned:

1. shop around. I found a difference of $2500 between various dealers. I found the cheapest at Little River Boat World on Shuswap Lake and they where cheaper than anything I could find in the US on the web.

2. I have to drive either 3 hours north or 3 hours south for servicing when it comes due. When I bought the motor, I assumed that any BRP shop could service it - wrong. It has to be an evinrude dealer and they are not that common in northern BC.

3. Can't find a matching kicker.

Gotta love the 5 year warranty, 3 years between maintenance, etec owners chatline, digital gauge package, etc

Mine idles just fine and I get lazy and don't bother with my 8hp Johnson kicker. I'm running the xd-50 and the oil use is negligble.

cheers'
G

They JUSt released a 15hp H.O. kicker under etec, time to go shopping ;)

img3937n.jpg

quote:Originally posted by WillyD

I have a 17ft hourston. What type of performance are you getting . Is 90 hp enough or do you think I need a 115 hp.The 90 is 40 lbs lighter.Thanks willyd

I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 90hp etec. It will push my boat at about 34 mph (GPS) which is fast enough for me. The dealer who installed and propped it said that they had it up to 52mph (GPS) when it was empty - that's kinda insane with my particular boat.

My boat is an 18.5 ft aluminum but quite heavy with the 35 gallon fuel tank, custom hardtop, etc. If you have kids to waterski/wakeboard the extra weight of the 115 might be worth while. I don't.

It is an amazing piece of machinery that can combine the performance of a Ferrari with the fuel economy of a Prius.

The new 15 hp HO e-tec weighs in at about 175 pounds. It seems to be a de-tuned 25 hp. Not what I am looking for!

I hope that Evinrude BRP gets their act together quickly or I'll have to hang a Merc for a kicker.

Rumours are still in the works for a 9.9 but those same rumours have been around for a few years.

During the last few years I have had a chance to talk to many customers about their outboard choices. Every one who had the new Evinrude E-TECS loves them. I re-powered my boat this year with twin 150 hp e-tecs. They are fantastic, no smoke, real quite and the I-Command guages are slick.I got a 5 year warranty with them. The engines I replaced were carburated 175 hp Mercs. This new combo gets slightly over twice the fuel economy and seems to have way more power out of the hole. I highly recommend them to anyone who is considering these engines

If you are even remotely interested in E-TEC evinrudes check out the E-tec owners group website (google it 'cuz I don't have the exact web address handy).

This site is not "owned" by BRP/evinrude and it will give you an idea of both the reliability and concerns from N. America, Europe, Australia, South Africa, etc.

When I bought my 90hp E-tec last year the dealer said that the I-command gauges did not work with the I-3 motors. I posted that on the e-tec owners site and sent that on to the dealer who suddenly changed his mind and I got the electronic gauge package as part of last years promotion.

Probably any of the motors are "good" for their first couple of years. The proof of a reliable motor will be at 5 years/10 years down the road.

If given a reasonable choice I prefer to buy a North American made product over an overseas import.

Most of the bad press regarding E-tecs seem to be with the motors under 90hp. The 50's seem to be very problematic and did not last. The higher hp motors from what I hear are really good.

I repowered my boat this year with a pair of 150 HP E-TECS. I now have 60 hours on them and I am thrilled with the performance and economy. They burn 50% of the fuel that my old Mercs did and have way more power out of the hole. The guage package is really cool and provides all the info you would ever need. Highly recommend them to any one who is looking to repower

Smiley , check the consumer ratings on the 50-60hp Etecs
i've heard there have been some problems with these models [:0]

Hey smiley, let's do this together and we can get a better deal for a double-purchase! Not this year though unless mine dies.

My nieghbour owns Hoise Point lodge I don't know him but my back yard looks over his back yard. he has 3 grady's parked back there with twin Etecs on each of them.

Back