Ever been selected for jury duty ?

Yes, I have. And so has another member here. We met while we were jurors on a BC Supreme Court trial.

I won't get into details of which case but we were there for a couple months.

It was a HUGELY interesting experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have. And so has another member here. We met while we were jurors on a BC Supreme Court trial.

I won't get into details of which case but we were there for a couple months.

It was a HUGELY interesting experience.

Did you miss work ?....EDIT:...and wages ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it 5 years ago for a month and a bit. It was a eye opener for sure! It was pretty ironic how the greed of the victims led to their own downfall as they were taken in a fraud scheme. Not saying it was right for them to be scammed, but, if it's too good to be true..........
Met some great people and felt it was an rewarding experience. I even had a beer with a fellow juror (and forum member) last month and a big old hug from another last week.

Tip

Did you miss work ?....EDIT:...and wages ?

you get jury pay, not sure what it is now but last time i was called it was about $25.00 a day.
Your employer will likely keep paying you, but most have requested any jury pay
gets turned over to them.
If you have concerns over pay loss, you can request to opt out for financial hardship.

Cobra, it depends on your employer, some will pay you, others not. You do get some pay from the
Ministry of Attorney General while doing it. The rate goes up depending in how long you are away from work.

Check the AG website, all the details are there as for what you will receive for pay.

If you can't get your employer (or you are self employed) to pay and you don't feel like giving up a couple of months of work ,you need to do a couple of things. You need to attend the jury selection (don't ingnore it) and you need to bring some proof that appearing will cause you "significant hardship" ei. I will not be able to pay my mortgage.

Yes it is your civic duty , but ....

beemer

Like Beemer says, it is your civic duty and I am a firm believer in community involvement BUT... if you work for a small company that will not be able to let you just wander off for a month and return when you are finished then have them write a letter and take it to the courthouse. This can be done well ahead of the jury selection day. You need to make sure the courthouse calls and confirms you are relieved of this obligation.

I have been selected twice and both times asked to be excused, I have also written a note for employee. This is necesary for most small companies that could not afford to have thier lead machanic or head builder leave for an undefined period of time. If you are low man on totem pole it is even harder for them not to replace you if they offer the letter and you say "I would rather be on the jury". Not saying they legally can replace you but it is hard not too.

I think when I retire at 95 I would very much enjoy being part of the process but until then it is not in my financial future based on the pay differential.

Biaka

I have been selected for 2 jury's about 8 years apart ...one for a personal injury claim due to being rear-ended in a car crash...took about a week...the second one was a 2nd-degree murder case that lasted about a month. I worked for a large company that paid my salary but I was required to turn in the $25/day jury fees....the fees wouldn't even cover parking near the Vancouver courthouse now so hopefully it has gone up!

I was called for jury duty a 3rd time....we were told that the case could go on for as long as a year...I was excused by the judge at my request because of my previous service and because of implications for my job.

I was selected once....was very informative and a totally worthwhile experience on how our judicial system operates. Mine was only 3 weeks and I got paid by my employer.

Never showed up for one jury selection years ago because I was in camp, apparently that isn't the correct way to get out of it. i just played stupid (which wasn't all that difficult for me) and they let me off with a stern discussion :)

Got called once for a sexual assault case-- Women accused her father , but the defense was able to show that it was made up by her and her brother ( who she WAS very cuddily with!!!!) to get back at a dad who they didnt like.

Some very nasty people out there. Total time about 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

Just show up to jury selection and explain "I'd make an excellent juror because I can spot a guilty person from miles away". Then you get sent home.;)

Thanks everyone for the info & input.

Just show up to jury selection and explain "I'd make an excellent juror because I can spot a guilty person from miles away". Then you get sent home.;)

Sounds like I may just have to give them my "Guilty until proven innocent" speech. :mad:

Actually I witnessed where that kind if thinking doesn't wash. When I was selected, the guy standing in line in front of me and I were talking while we were waiting our turn in front of the Justice and the lawyers. He was wearing a lumberjack shirt, scruffy dress, looked like a redneck. He said "I've been here before, they never select me because I look and act like a redneck". Well guess what? He WAS selected and as he walked past me on his way to the jurors box I said to him, "there's your theory shot to hell, bud". Then I was selected right after him.

The truth of it is, if you really cannot do it because it will leave your employer in a hardship? That might not wash with the Justice. If you personally will suffer from financial hardship? Be honest and sincere with them when/if you are being questioned. That's the only thing I saw that worked for people getting out of it.

I've never been selected but I would actually like to participate in the process. I think it'd be interesting. However, I am self employed and absolutely couldn't miss work for an extended period of time.

My employer would pay, but I was able to go online and use one of the forms to explain how I had a couple of road trips planned and paid for with a team I was coaching and would not be able to serve on two of the Fridays where we would be travelling. I was exused before selection day.

Back