Epirbs

pescador

Just curious how many of you have them installed? What type do you use and what influenced your decision to buy the one you have? I see ACR has different variants available. What makes one better than another. Float free? Communications frequency? etc. Whats the best one and why? I use a PLB, but, have thought about throwing that in the ditch bag and mounting an Epirb.

ACR PLB in my boat along with most all other safety equipment including a 6 man Viking self-deploying life raft in a cannister

Anyone else have info on what type of device they're using? I'm in the process of doing my research on these, want to purchase one for my boat.

I have an acr handheld. The floating version. I keep it in my pocket when I am fishing by my self. These are just as reliable as the hard mounted versions with the added benefit of being able to take it with you if and when you need to leave the boat in an emergency.

We were hashing out this discussion recently with the VanIsle 360 race.
I ended up getting an ICOM M92D with the gps and dsc.
I would feel much better being able to talk to someone while in the water than just look at the lights on an epirb.
That being said, there are many who have the personal epirbs and ACR puts out a good product.
If you are really interested, sign up for a safety at sea seminar. You go in a pool in full kit and launch life rafts.
It was a real eye opener for an older salt like me. I always have bigger boots than my actual size since the received logic was to kick them off.
Wow was I wrong. My boots were actually very easy to swim in and my feet and legs were instantly colder after kicking them off, and this was in a heated pool!
Always great to talk about safety and putting it into practice.

Back