Entry level ocean boat

I'm definitely following this one. I got a 17ft bow rider aluminum which is fine for fair weather fishing but the carpet doesnt like fish slime or rain much lol.

I'm curious, no one is recommending any of the ~19ft trophys or bayliners... seems like there's always a few around for sale set up to fish.

And also the Campion products? or the Calais 2000?

Certainly if I could find an Arima fur under 20k I'd go that way for sure, but they are like a needle in the haystack.

I wonder what boat prices will be like this fall with Covid fading away, and again next spring?

Bayliner's are great starter boats. With a 19 you'll be looking to upgrade soon anyways.

Campion makes decent stuff and are made in kelowna. Not the best ride, but not the worst.

I spent a lot of time in a 542 (now the EX18 and previously the 185) explorer and only complaints where it being a bit narrow and not the best when rough. It handled weather not bad, just had to go slooow. My buddy still has the boat and still runs it all year round. Just over 2000 hours on the the yamah 150 and cheap at the pump!

I talked to a trophy owner a couple years ago that had a love/hate relationship. he described it as a well designed boat, that was poorly executed. Like the layout of the trophies, but have heard mixed reviews on quality.

Campion makes decent stuff and are made in kelowna. Not the best ride, but not the worst.

I spent a lot of time in a 542 (now the EX18 and previously the 185) explorer and only complaints where it being a bit narrow and not the best when rough. It handled weather not bad, just had to go slooow. My buddy still has the boat and still runs it all year round. Just over 2000 hours on the the yamah 150 and cheap at the pump!

I talked to a trophy owner a couple years ago that had a love/hate relationship. he described it as a well designed boat, that was poorly executed. Like the layout of the trophies, but have heard mixed reviews on quality.
Any trophy 2000 and newer is a completely different animal. They are better built boats and composite so no rot. The early 90’s boats you can just assume have rot

Any trophy 2000 and newer is a completely different animal. They are better built boats and composite so no rot. The early 90’s boats you can just assume have rot
The cheap ones are normally the older ones, i knew there was a change, but wasnt sure when.

Probably the same for quite a few other brands! I would say almost anything mid 2000's and older that has bottom paint and was moored should be looked at with an eye of scepticism, a rubber mallet, an eye for all drilled holes in and around the transom and some research. The price of a well maintained good used boat will not change as they are so rare and new boats are extremely expensive 70-80k for a 19 footer.

Back