Engine Hours question??

Pippen

Hey Guys,

I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and although I am pretty good with a lot of this stuff I wanted to ask an opinion regarding engine hours.

I had a buddy send me a link to a boat down in Seattle; it's a 2002 30' Pursuit. Nice looking boat and it's priced really quite well at $66K.

It has twin Yammy 225 engines however they have about 850 hours on them. I know if I do "pursue" this Pursuit I am going to ask for service records etc. Would you steer well clear of engines with that kind of usage? I know it's A LOT of hours but wasn't sure with proper service/maintenance/replacement parts if they'd be worth looking at or if their "lives" may be coming to an end. Definitely a lot of questions to ask the seller.

I am not even sure I'd go for this boat as I was looking more towards the 2870 but the price of this one raised my curiousity.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys may have.

5N75Gd5Fa3E73G93Mac5l2ebd621e09bb180a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What year are the motors? I wouldn't be so much worried about the hours at 850 but those early 2000' 225 had lots of internal corrosion issues.

A well maintained motor can last 3500 hours+. I believe that the first major service is done at 1000 hours on those motors. And that's an expensive one (timing, valve lash, etc. etc.). So keep that in mind that you may be looking at a big service bill 150 hrs from now.

Personally, if I was spending 60k+ I would be looking for motors with a full warranty.

Killer is right, I would kill for a rig like that. Spend the money to get her surveyed and a full mechanical inspection on those motors.

Thanks guys for the info......information such as the corrosion issues was just the kind of insight I was looking for. :cool:

Yah the other guys beat me to it, but that was my concern about those motors. the corrosion reputation on the exhaust housing.

So a lot of people talk about corrosion issues with F225's and no doubt some people have had issues. However, there are tons of these motors running around the world. It is probably one Yamaha's most solid engines and most sold engines. They are pretty bullet proof based on my experience. I have a 2003 F225 and recently had it checked for corrision. It has 400 hours on it, and not a sign of anything. You have to ask how the owner maintained the motor. That boat looks well maintained (maybe I'll buy it lol). If they flushed out the engine after usage, you have to believe it should be fine. I'd get Bayside Marine in Everett to look at it to give you peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get many more hours on those engines if they have been maintained. I have 1600 on my twin 150's and they are still running like brand new. Some of those engines were prone to corrosion issues but Yamaha did come out with a fix for the problem. I would ask if they have had any such issues. With only 850 hours you should be able to many more days on the water with them, especially with the proper care.

Good luck, beauty rig.

Beauty boat, but to echo what other members have mentioned, that corrosion issue would have my undivided attention, especially with a pair off 225's that fall within the bracket period of when owners first started finding those corrosion issues.

850 hours in the world of a well-maintained Yamaha makes them teenagers---potential long life ahead of them (1,500 - 2,000 hours would be when someone gets cautious)

But from what I read, Yamaha did not step up to the plate and compensate owners when they had catastophic failure (basically the oil pan rotted out from under the powerhead) . They quietly hammered out replacement pans with corrosion resistant coatings on them, but never admitted that there was a problem, lots of pissed off owners to the contrary.

Not sure how a marine surveyor would get at those pans without a powerhead removal, but I'd be asking some questions if they were early millenium Yammies which they probably are

good luck

I own a 2003 225 Yammi-great engine-if the corrosion issue doesn't bite you. Don't be put off by the BS they were always flushed etc. etc.-flushing does nothing to prevent this known problem. Yamaha has now dropped replacemebnt parts to 1900 per engine if-if no other damage has resulted. This corrosion usually happens around 800hrs give or take. Sure I would pursue that boat if it is what I wanted but I would make any offer conditional on getting an inspection for corrosion on the mid-section of the engines and ---DON'T sluff it off-those engines could be unrebuildable in a worse case scenerio-very quickly !!

Offer a price that reflects assuming you will have to put the parts and labour (to replace the mid section parts) into both engines before you use it. Then it is no longer even an issue.

That's an unreal fishing rig just get them inspected And go from there it looks like a pretty good deal! Plus your going to have the coolest boat at the dock!

Sounds like a good boat ...its worth spending a few bucks on a thorough engine inspection.Pursuits are really put together well.

Back