Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

I don't like but it could have been worse. Well done to everyone who worked on it. Let this serve as a reminder that these are the things that are going to be challenging for our group in years to come. Really good to support your organizations you belong too. SFI,SFAB,SVIAC, BCWF and many others. Its hard to lobby with one voice.

Last edited:
I am all good with conservation and that those of us in a Regulated Fishery are making first move (setting slot limits) but there needs to be an agreement made that the Unregulated will make changes in return. There have been no cut backs on overfishing the river since we started our slot. (that I am aware of. I do realize that I may not have all of the info to make this statement). Seems this is all about getting more fish to the river to be netted not to spawn.

Tips up said it best. Nothing to do with conservation, all about getting more fish back to get netted.
Fraser super low now so set netting and drift nets are absolutely wiping out anything that is pushing past.
Not too mention The first FN sockeye opening on the Fraser starts on June 19.....

Well folks, we can claim a victory. We are fishing for salmon, albeit under the much hated 85 cm slot restricition. Eventhough some would prefer us closed, the many efforts of SVIAC, our members, the SFAB, SFI, BCFDF, WCFG and others have convinced the minister to recognize the importance of our salmon fishery and keep us fishing. Beyond the pain of a Zone 1 slot for another month, the really unpleasant sting is the unwarranted extension of the regs footprint out beyond 20-5 Sheringham Point.

Many thanks to all those that helped in our efforts to protect our fishery, it is genuinely appreciated!

Chris Bos
President

Thanks to all who lobbied individually and/or as various groups!

Thanks to all who lobbied individually and/or as various groups!
no unmarked fish over around 15 pounds right out to Sombrio...is that right?
What were the regs last year during this time frame?

...the unwarranted extension of the regs footprint out beyond 20-5 Sheringham Point.

Well. at least this would make sense if it was indeed a conservation move, which we all know it wasn't. But to say we can't keep a salmon at Muir Creek that was fair game just an hour prior at Sheringham is ridiculous.

Any idea why the regs change for 19-5 compared to 19-4? Seems to me they are the same fish?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it would top around 16 lbs
unless its a real dumptruck
Well, Englishman caught one right on 85cm 2 years back and it was 19lbs...I'd have faith that he doesn't stretch the truth. I seem to recall others reporting some in the 18-19lb range as well in the past. I'm sure a guide or two could chime in, but I figure 15-20lb is going to be the typical range.

Tips....no, it was same slot until July 17th last year - 1 over didn't start until the 18th. This 'should' mean our derby is day 1 of the 1 over 1 under.....we chose that date for that exact reason at the time. EDIT - I stand corrected - was the day before the JDF - I think the year before that it was mid july it switched to 1 and 1.

Last edited:
Deewar25, yes I remember getting a note from Gov last year 11th hour the day before JDF Derby. He was pretty excited :)
I was hoping for the same this year.

Once we lose ground it is hard to gain it back. Especially when it is based on Politics not Conservation.
Sad day IMO.
But I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved. A lot of work put in.
Renfrew is nice at this time of year. ;)

The big ones are fun to play, but for keeping and cooking fresh fillets, or freezing, I prefer smaller fillets. So I guess the slot doesn't bother me too much. Not saying it wouldn't suck to let go a dump truck though...

I have a little data to share in regards to sizes and weights after reviewing some notes :p Worth noting that 85cm is 33.4646 inches according to google.

17# 33.5"
17# 34"
15# 32"
19# 36"
22# 37.5"
18# 35"
13# 32.5"
16# 32"
13# 30"

Back